Dining gratuity question

Loriann

Question about prepaid gratuities for dining....I prepaid our gratuities before the price jump happened, and I'm assuming the servers are included in these gratuities (correct me if I'm wrong!). My question is....if we decide to dine at a specialty restaurant, are we expected to tip those servers at the time of the meal? Or are their gratuities also included in what I prepaid? I didn't know if prepaid was just for MDR dining, and I'd be double tipping if we ate at a speciality restaurant. (As in the MDR server would be getting a gratuity anyway even though we didn't eat there, and I'd still need to tip the speciality restaurant server).

The auto/daily gratuities you pay are for the MDR and Windjammer staff.  

These days, I'm not entirely certain how your cover charge at a specialty restaurant is supposed to work in terms of gratuities.  I'd defer to asking the host or Guest Services if the cover charge includes it or not.

4 hours ago, Loriann said:

My question is....if we decide to dine at a specialty restaurant, are we expected to tip those servers at the time of the meal? Or are their gratuities also included in what I prepaid?

Your prepaid gratuity does not apply to specialty restaurants.  If you pre-purchase a multi-day meal package, gratuity is included in the cost of the package and this is stated in the fine print that can be accessed from Cruise Planner.  The same language is not included if you pre-purchase a single meal but how the gratuity is handled does not seem to be consistently applied.  Some report that gratuity is included in the cover charge; other report that 18% is added to the cover charge and shown in the bill that you receive after the meal.  From my recent experiences, if you reserve a specialty restaurant when onboard you will incur the 18% surcharge over the cover cost, at least on Oasis class ships.