Liberty - Any Changes?

cruise-y

I've cruised RC a lot in the past but only because it was really (and I mean really) convenient to drive to Galveston instead of flying all around and dealing with airports, oversold seats, packed planes, delays, etc.  After 18 months away, I'm wondering.... have any of the Liberty itineraries changed?  I'm getting tired of the same old venues and the food has consistently declined every time I've sailed. I was very disappointed in the quality of shore excursions and the MDR last time out.   If RC wants me back, I'll need something new.  I know everyone here is an RC fan, so sorry to be a party poop, but I'm just being honest.  Hoping for good news.  Thanks friends.

I think the biggest challenge for either line from Galveston is geography.  Much like NYC, there are only so many ports you can reach in 7 days to fit the optimal American vacation plan.

I've only sailed Carnival from TX so far, that will change soon.  The current Carnival choices look the same as they did in 2014 and 2015.  Magic changes to Breeze, Freedom to Valor, etc, whatever.  Same ships with different names (I've sailed all of those) but same ports.  

I'm not trying to be argumentative but what changes are you hoping for? 

What makes Florida the cruise capital of the world is the ability to reach many more destinations offering much more variety.  Short of faster ships or cutting down the number of ports visited, Galveston can only reach the same ports due to the Gulf standing in it's path for every single cruise.  

I'll add that Galveston has a limited cruise market.  It's primarily the state of Texas.  The reason I avoid sailing from Galveston is that it is simply not a convenient fly in cruise port unlike Florida or even New York.  My flight and ground transportation costs in Galveston exceed the cost of the cruise.  Heck even Baltimore is easier for me to fly and cruise from and I'm coming from Colorado.  I can't avoid those flying things you hate, I have no choice - I'm getting on a plane to cruise.  Throw in some unique liquor laws and why would anyone want to cruise from Galveston unless they live in Texas?  Great people, not so good fly in port for non-residents.

Unfortunately all cruise lines have declined.  It's certainly not what it used to be but it's still a great value vacation and I love to cruise.  Carnival in my opinion has experienced greater cut backs.  At the end of the day, what are your choices as a Texas resident who doesn't want to fly? 

Both cruise lines have "optimized" service.  The extent of which impacts your preferences is personal and your choice.  For me I didn't like what Carnival became and I stopped cruising them.  I enjoy RC food and service.  I like their loyalty program so much more.  I like a lot about them.  Those are my preferences and I hold no ill will or judgement to those that prefer Carnival.  I'm glad they sail Carnival or demand and prices would increase on Royal.  

I live just a few minutes from Galveston and this is our complaint also. Limited itineraries, same places over and over.  There is quite a bit of talk about expanding the port, adding 2 more ships. Yes, getting to the port is a pain in the butt, especially if you fly into IAH. It's an hour + of straight driving. Much like flying into FLL and going to Miami.

Hobby is your best bet....When we travel, I always try to book out of Hobby.   It's a smaller airport, not international.  Plus there is major construction in I-45, the interstate leading to Galveston.   We are all for the cruise lines expanding their itineraries out of Galveston!

I'm flying into Hobby the night before.  Staying closer to Houston, will probably just use Lyft to get to the port in the morning.  

I'm going for the ship.  Was hoping Liberty might shuffle out to another port but since that isn't happening and I found a deal I'm doing what I said I would never do again... sail from Galveston.

10 minutes ago, Sweety said:

@twangster, are you bringing  back alcohol ?  Is there an additional  tax one must pay?

Everyone must pay the State of Texas.   Right after US Customs you are directed to TABC to pay the TX tax. $3.75 per one liter bottle. 

I don't bring back liquor when I sail from Texas for this reason.  I have more cruises coming up, I'll  probably bring something back in April cruising from Ft. Lauderdale.

I've heard a lot people say they simply don't declare their liquor in Galveston but that has huge implications with US Customs and I always declare everything.  

18 minutes ago, twangster said:

Everyone must pay the State of Texas.   Right after US Customs you are directed to TABC to pay the TX tax. $3.75 per one liter bottle. 

I don't bring back liquor when I sail from Texas for this reason.  I have more cruises coming up, I'll  probably bring something back in April cruising from Ft. Lauderdale.

I've heard a lot people say they simply don't declare their liquor in Galveston but that has huge implications with US Customs and I always declare everything.  

I do too  declare everything. Thanks. Hopefully  I  can  book two more cruises in March.

Actually when I went thru customs they never asked if I had anything to declare, nor was I required to fill out a customs form like I have before on international flights.  I did admit to the Texas authorities that I had a small bottle of rum cream and they did charge me the $3.75.  I must admit I find it funny that folks throw money around like crazy on a cruise but have problems with $3.75.  Yea, its kind of dumb, but in the big picture hardly a consideration.  I really enjoyed my day in Galveston last month and look forward to returning to Lady Liberty next year!

24 minutes ago, jce2 said:

I must admit I find it funny that folks throw money around like crazy on a cruise but have problems with $3.75.

The same can be said of people who spend upwards of $1,000 on a top-tier smartphone, and don't blink at spending $8 or more for their daily venti triple-shot no foam soy latte with a shot of vanilla, but then hem and haw over spending $0.99 on an app. :3_grin:

15 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

The same can be said of people who spend upwards of $1,000 on a top-tier smartphone, and don't blink at spending $8 or more for their daily venti triple-shot no foam soy latte with a shot of vanilla, but then hem and haw over spending $0.99 on an app. :3_grin:

It is one of the interesting dynamics of this board, as well as the Cruise FBs I am on: The various economics of cruising.  Some folks out here go on 4-5 cruises A YEAR and dont blink at discussions of $1000 genie tips, while for others a cruise is a once-in-a-lifetime adventure and every single tip is a serious consideration.  I am just grateful that most out here are considerate of that dynamic.

But back to Galveston;  Having to clear the gulf is a pain, but the port itself is great.  I found the folk of Galveston to be happy, helful and relaxed.  The food at Fish Tales was excellent and the walks along the beach relaxing.  Galveston Limo was perfect in getting us to and from the airport (Hobby).

On 2/11/2018 at 2:42 PM, jce2 said:

But back to Galveston;  Having to clear the gulf is a pain, but the port itself is great.  I found the folk of Galveston to be happy, helful and relaxed.  The food at Fish Tales was excellent and the walks along the beach relaxing.  Galveston Limo was perfect in getting us to and from the airport (Hobby).

On 2/10/2018 at 11:10 PM, twangster said:

What makes Florida the cruise capital of the world is the ability to reach many more destinations offering much more variety.  Short of faster ships or cutting down the number of ports visited, Galveston can only reach the same ports due to the Gulf standing in it's path for every single cruise.  

I live in Oklahoma, and I drive to Galveston, it's an 8 hour drive, Galveston is my Miami or Fort Lauderdale for Florida residents, I have been on the Roatan, Costa Maya, Cozumel so many times recently that I was planning on staying on  the ship this time, but my schedule and Suite availability on Liberty finely synced up and I was able to get the Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica, so I'm really happy.

The main fact for me is that any day on a cruise ship is better than a day at work, it also helps that the cruises leaves on a Sunday, so I can take a leisurely drive down on Saturday, spend the night over by the Galleria and get up Sunday morning, have breakfast and have a leisurely drive down to Galveston and still be there by 10:30. 

Isn't there a smaller RC ship that sails out of their now?

I would be open that if RC brought more ships in and extended their cruise days to 9-12 days and went to the Eastern or Southern Caribbean, I would be one of the first in line to buy tickets, but I'm afraid that will them adding New Orleans and Tampa they may not add any more ships, I agree with @jce2 I love the port and the laid back atmosphere of Galveston, it's like the 17th street corridor in FLL but without all of the other big city headaches.

On 2/11/2018 at 12:51 PM, jce2 said:

Actually when I went thru customs they never asked if I had anything to declare, nor was I required to fill out a customs form like I have before on international flights.  I did admit to the Texas authorities that I had a small bottle of rum cream and they did charge me the $3.75.  I must admit I find it funny that folks throw money around like crazy on a cruise but have problems with $3.75.  Yea, its kind of dumb, but in the big picture hardly a consideration.  I really enjoyed my day in Galveston last month and look forward to returning to Lady Liberty next year!

On a $25 bottle of liquor adding $3.75 raises it to close to prices I can buy it locally.  A lot of times I don't buy duty free liquor at any port, it's not worth the hassle fo saving a few bucks.  In TX it makes even less sense. 

I spend thousands on cruises, so should I not buy gas for my car where it's $10 cents cheaper because after all if I can afford a cruise surely I can afford a few extra bucks on gas.  

At a grocery store I use coupons.  If I can afford thousands for a cruise, why should I use coupons?  

Buying duty free goods has little if anything to do with buying a cruise.  So yeah, $3.75 per bottle paid to a state I don't live in for the pleasure of spending 4 hours with my bottle on the way to the airport in Houston makes little sense to me.