Royal Math

tiny260

I'm sure we have discussed this before and I've probably forgot about it, but RCCL's math is off.

I have a July cruise on Liberty out of Galveston, I've been watching all off the sales for Dinning and Voom and excursions, we specifically wanted the Ultimate Dining package, the price has never varied, sale or no sale, $168pp/$24 per night, so during this weekends sale I looked at some of the other dinning packages, BOGO $40.00pp/$20 per night, 5 night $105pp/$21 per night, so I bought the 5 night package.

But it still bugs me, the ad for the Ultimate dinning package is "Dine more, save more", but yet it is more per night than any other package (Aside from booking the restaurants individually)

I wish I could figure out a way to do the BOGO and the 5 night, but both packages want you to book night 1 and then you run in to a scheduling conflict on the calendar (Anyone figured this out?).

8 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

But it still bugs me, the ad for the Ultimate dinning package is "Dine more, save more", but yet it is more per night than any other package (Aside from booking the restaurants individually)

But remember that the Ultimate also includes lunches in specialty venues on sea days.  That adds at least another 2 meals.

Ahhh, knew I was missing something, but the $24pp/per night is what they show on Cruise planner, so they are not calculating the lunches either.

This past October on Allure I had the ultimate dining package and I used it twice for Izumi for lunch, so I got my money's worth of Sushi, they never up charges over the allowance either meal...

Their math isn't off; they're just applying Common Core mathematics! ;)

In all seriousness, if they would tell us the "rack rate" for the various packages, then we'd know if the math was correct or not. It seems that they're doing some dynamic pricing with the packages across the fleet, so there's no way to know the "original" price from ship to ship.

54 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

Ahhh, knew I was missing something, but the $24pp/per night is what they show on Cruise planner, so they are not calculating the lunches either.

Probably because different itineraries have different number of sea days; some 2, some 3 for 7 night cruises.  But figure at least 2 additional meals, so an ave of less than $19 per meal.

Their math has always confused me like the last sale for the internet. Sale said 30% but was $15.99pd then at 20% still $15.99? I was so confused. I would have booked it if it was lower but I mean what sale was that. No clue where they calculate these things if they even double check them. Would it have made a difference if I had called?

2 hours ago, LetsTryThisTech said:

Their math has always confused me ...

Simple!  It's higher math.... (I know this because my daughter is a math major and she explained it to me,... I think).  Increase the percent discount but raise the base price. It's no different than "Manufacturer's suggested retail price".  :14_relaxed:

14 hours ago, DDemuth said:

Simple!  It's higher math.... (I know this because my daughter is a math major and she explained it to me,... I think).  Increase the percent discount but raise the base price. It's no different than "Manufacturer's suggested retail price".

Then lower base price again? It went back after the sale, I know Royal loves to play a fast one on their pricing though lol.

Working in RCI's marketing department must be a blast ...

Monday morning meeting ... somebody spin the wheel of discounts and see what % off we are offering this week ... zing ..... ok so this week it's Buy One Get One 17 1/3 % off ... send that email over to IT to post on the website and copy accounting to have them figure out what that means the base price needs to be this week and tell IT. Where should we go for lunch ??

33 minutes ago, LetsTryThisTech said:

Could this not be a case of false advertising though?

I think they get away with it by changing the price 'on ship' as well. If the price on the ship keeps changing so does the discount on the cruise planner. That keeps the false advertising claims away. It's just playing with numbers. We know better because we're checking but someone who won't do the research.

(not defending - just seeing how they get away with it)

Just for fun I am tracking the "price" of a balcony room on the April 28, 2019 Liberty cruise to see how the various "sales" effect it.  So far (prices include tax):

DATE                       BASE             DISCOUNTED        OBC           NET (DISCOUNT-OBC)      NOTES

Jan 28, 2018            $2523             $1797                     $175           $1622                                  (This is what I booked thru an RC rep)

Feb 11, 2018           $2598             $1872                      $225          $1647                                   30% off

As far as I'm concerned, their "sales" are completely imaginary because of the base price underneath doing whatever they feel like.  Whether they say it's buy one get one 50% off or 60% off or 30% of the whole thing, it's usually all within a few tens of dollars.  I have found that no matter what the apparent sale says its is, earlier is better and check often.  Occasionally there is an actual price drop and that "20% off" this or that might sound like a worse deal than the "30% off" or whatever you booked it for but the bottom line could be hundreds of dollars cheaper.  I saved almost $200 on my Christmas Cruise by keeping a close eye on it.  A good TA will do this for you automatically too.

Same with cruise planner add ons.  Excursions, drink packages and internet packages bounce around all over the place.  Unless you're getting really close to your sailing, that $45 drink package might still pop back up.  Although it seems like the Internet packages have been sticking around $15/device/day for a while, cheaper prices on those might be gone for good.

1 hour ago, Orange Crush said:

As far as I'm concerned, their "sales" are completely imaginary because of the base price underneath doing whatever they feel like.  Whether they say it's buy one get one 50% off or 60% off or 30% of the whole thing, it's usually all within a few tens of dollars.  I have found that no matter what the apparent sale says its is, earlier is better and check often.  Occasionally there is an actual price drop and that "20% off" this or that might sound like a worse deal than the "30% off" or whatever you booked it for but the bottom line could be hundreds of dollars cheaper.  I saved almost $200 on my Christmas Cruise by keeping a close eye on it.  A good TA will do this for you automatically too.

Same with cruise planner add ons.  Excursions, drink packages and internet packages bounce around all over the place.  Unless you're getting really close to your sailing, that $45 drink package might still pop back up.  Although it seems like the Internet packages have been sticking around $15/device/day for a while, cheaper prices on those might be gone for good.

It's marketing for first time cruisers.  Experienced cruisers know if it is a good price just by looking at it.

Don't underestimate the number of newbies on each cruise.