St. Maarten Beach choices

Dannyor40

When do you sail?  Every week they are working to reopen more areas.  I cruise there next in April and plan to try Orient Beach with quick stop at Maho Beach to see how they are progressing.

Great Bay Beach is very close to the cruise ship terminal.  It's doing great with many bars and restaurants open for service.  I posted photos during a live blog on Christmas Day:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5195-independence-122117-9-night-christmas/&do=findComment&comment=51956

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

I cruise there next in April and plan to try Orient Beach with quick stop at Maho Beach to see how they are progressing.

I know the real reason you want Orient Beach :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: lol jk. But ya thinking of trying both myself but might not decide till we get there what our plan is lol.

4 minutes ago, LetsTryThisTech said:

I know the real reason you want Orient Beach :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: lol jk. But ya thinking of trying both myself but might not decide till we get there what our plan is lol.

If it's what I'm thinking I noticed from my time there that it was mostly 60+. Imma leave that there.

Gorgeous beach!

(no disrespect to anyone over the age)

3 minutes ago, ellcee said:

If it's what I'm thinking I noticed from my time there that it was mostly 60+. Imma leave that there.

Gorgeous beach!

I guess there's an age that you decide who cares what people think just do you and let everything do its own thing. It's more of the self-conscious people who are to blame for not a younger crowd I guess. Europeans seem to be freer as well, so I guess culture and stigma have to deal with it too. (also no disrespect to anyone over the age you rock in my mind)

Does anyone know of any good tours that take you to both beaches or is it better to taxi around?

We spent a week in Saint Martin (French side) a few years ago.  The house we rented was in Baie Rouge.  The beach is a red coral sand and mostly private beach.  At the other end was a public section with some parking and Gus's Beach Bar.  Never was crazy busy.  The beach bar had frequent happy hours, great drinks and pretty good food.  Chair rentals were available also.  We are going on Oasis of the Seas in May and will be heading over there. We rented a car.  Marigot is not far and Grand Case is just a little further.  Will be grabbing a late lunch at some of the "LoLos" in Grand Case.  I guarantee there will be very few if anyone at Baie Rouge from the cruise ship.  Awesome quiet beach.

2 hours ago, LetsTryThisTech said:

Does anyone know of any good tours that take you to both beaches or is it better to taxi around?

Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but we're going on a Bernards SXM Tour when we go to the island in a couple weeks. It takes you around both sides of the options and I think one of the tour variants offers a beach stop. When they drop you off, you have the option to stay at the downtown area rather than go back to the ship so you get a bit more time to explore on your own. They have great reviews, but I'll be happy to share my own feedback once we go! 

http://www.bernardstours.com/

29 minutes ago, KLAconQueso said:

Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but we're going on a Bernards SXM Tour when we go to the island in a couple weeks. It takes you around both sides of the options and I think one of the tour variants offers a beach stop. When they drop you off, you have the option to stay at the downtown area rather than go back to the ship so you get a bit more time to explore on your own. They have great reviews, but I'll be happy to share my own feedback once we go! 

We did this tour in '16 and it was fantastic.  Although my back was absolutely killing me, I still had a great time.  Going to Maho and getting some video of arriving airplanes was a bucket list moment.  Marigot was very nice, and we had time to eat a nice French lunch (of course with macaroons, silly!) and a little time to walk around.

They also have Caribs and mixed drinks on the bus!

4 minutes ago, Floski said:

We did this tour in '16 and it was fantastic.  Although my back was absolutely killing me, I still had a great time.  Going to Maho and getting some video of arriving airplanes was a bucket list moment.  Marigot was very nice, and we had time to eat a nice French lunch (of course with macaroons, silly!) and a little time to walk around.

They also have cold Caribs and mixed drinks on the bus!

4 minutes ago, Floski said:

SOLD! We're planning on doing something similar in Marigot - locating a French cafe for a slice of baguette and a coffee. 

We were thinking about hanging around Phillipsburg and walking back to the ship ourselves rather than getting dropped off - is there a fair amount of beachfront bars in walking distance that we could plant ourselves at for an hour or so before going back? If so, any recommendations? It's our first time to SXM! 

17 minutes ago, KLAconQueso said:

SOLD! We're planning on doing something similar in Marigot - locating a French cafe for a slice of baguette and a coffee. 

We were thinking about hanging around Phillipsburg and walking back to the ship ourselves rather than getting dropped off - is there a fair amount of beachfront bars in walking distance that we could plant ourselves at for an hour or so before going back? If so, any recommendations? It's our first time to SXM! 

Absolutely!  We got back from the tour and hung out in Phillipsburg for a good while - it's a wonderful little town to walk, shop, and eat/drink.

There are a lot of tiny bars right there on the boardwalk, about 25 feet from the beach.   There is also a nice shop on the pier (well, there used to be :61_sob: ) that has a lot of liquors you can buy if that's your thing.  Below is a pic from the spot downtown where we grabbed a bite and a drinky (it was actually 4/2015).  We loved St. Maarten and St. Thomas so much in '15 that we went back again in '16!

I've added a pic from the water taxi that gives you a good idea of the boardwalk.  So nice...

100_2074.JPG

100_2096.JPG

@KLAconQueso I seem to recall there are places to lounge on the beach front, but it's been awhile since I've been there 2012 I think. I will tell you something that surprised me, we stopped in a little beach front hotel that had a cafe and ordered a light lunch, I had iced tea, I had to ask for a refill and then when I got the bill they charged me for each glass of iced tea, this was the first cruise I had been on in 10 years, so i chalked it up cruise deprivation and didn't say anything (Crazy American, of course each glass of tea cost...) This is a picture from the cafe with Allure in the distance.

DSC00198.JPG

6 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

@KLAconQueso I seem to recall there are places to lounge on the beach front, but it's been awhile since I've been there 2012 I think. I will tell you something that surprised me, we stopped in a little beach front hotel that had a cafe and ordered a light lunch, I had iced tea, I had to ask for a refill and then when I got the bill they charged me for each glass of iced tea, this was the first cruise I had been on in 10 years, so i chalked it up cruise deprivation and didn't say anything (Crazy American, of course each glass of tea cost...) This is a picture from the cafe with Allure in the distance.

That's something to watch out for in the Caribbean. Refills are rarely free. I can't think of any place here in Cayman that has free refills, to be honest. I am always shocked when I go back to Canada or the States and see my bill is only 1 lol.

23 minutes ago, LetsTryThisTech said:

That's something to watch out for in the Caribbean. Refills are rarely free. I can't think of any place here in Cayman that has free refills, to be honest. I am always shocked when I go back to Canada or the States and see my bill is only 1 lol.

Along those lines, I think I've seen before that on Costa if you're an American you get a special sticker on your card denoting that so that the dining room staff knows to give you free water since it's typically expected by Americans.

5 hours ago, ellcee said:

Gorgeous beach!

5 hours ago, LetsTryThisTech said:

I guess there's an age that you decide who cares what people think just do you and let everything do its own thing. It's more of the self-conscious people who are to blame for not a younger crowd I guess. Europeans seem to be freer as well, so I guess culture and stigma have to deal with it too. (also no disrespect to anyone over the age you rock in my mind)

The question was always, "Ginger or Mary Ann?"  Then one day you suddenly realize there was a third choice and now it looks pretty good!  :17_heart_eyes:

Singleladies.jpg

14 hours ago, KLAconQueso said:

Several bars on the boardwalk. I didn't go in any of those, so I can't vouch for the food and drinks there. One that stands out in my memory, only for the name, was the "Blue Bitch Bar." 

Eric Reeves

Guest toodle68

Free refills is an American thing.. You need to ask if refills are free in any country outside the US..

Side issue, but when we travel back to the UK my wife is always having to ask for a large glass of water and ice.. and constant refills.. it is kinda funny seeing non pub places looking for a large glass.

5 hours ago, ericreev said:

Several bars on the boardwalk. I didn't go in any of those, so I can't vouch for the food and drinks there. One that stands out in my memory, only for the name, was the "Blue Bitch Bar." 

Eric Reeves

I’ve heard of that one - unfortunately, we will be in SXM on a Sunday and I do know they are closed on Sundays. 

On 2/9/2018 at 10:16 AM, Dannyor40 said:

I just want to see what everyone's favorite beach is in St. Maarten. It sounds like the French side is still recovering from Irma. Pros and cons? Thanks

We like to go to Pinel Island. Irma pretty much destroyed the two beach resorts there, but from what I read a couple of weeks ago it seems they are pretty much back up and running.

17 hours ago, KLAconQueso said:

I’ve heard of that one - unfortunately, we will be in SXM on a Sunday and I do know they are closed on Sundays. 

Plan on taking a taxi over to Orient beach. I had an excellent lunch right there on th beach last time I was there( red snapper I believe.) 

Eric Reeves

On 2/9/2018 at 1:08 PM, KLAconQueso said:

On 2/9/2018 at 1:46 PM, Floski said:

I've heard nothing but good things about Bernard's tours, so it looks as if I'm going to book one for my Adventure cruise in December. I'm on the website right now, did you guys book tour #1 or #2? Thanks! 

Just now, accio7 said:

I've heard nothing but good things about Bernard's tours, so it looks as if I'm going to book one for my Adventure cruise in December. I'm on the website right now, did you guys book tour #1 or #2? Thanks! 

We booked tour #1 - I'll be live blogging here on the forums when I'm on board the week of the 24th, so I'll be sure to take pictures and share whatever feedback I can! 

2 minutes ago, KLAconQueso said:

We booked tour #1 - I'll be live blogging here on the forums when I'm on board the week of the 24th, so I'll be sure to take pictures and share whatever feedback I can! 

That's awesome, thanks! I'm currently reading @twangster's live blog posting from St. Maarten that he linked earlier in this thread and getting excited for this December cruise :)

23 minutes ago, KLAconQueso said:

We booked tour #1 also, but for February 28th while on the Oasis.  This will be our first time to use Bernard's Tours, but have heard many good things.  Hopefully will be a good way to see some of the recovery efforts and boost the local economy.

4 minutes ago, SouthernYankee said:

We booked tour #1 also, but for February 28th while on the Oasis.  This will be our first time to use Bernard's Tours, but have heard many good things.  Hopefully will be a good way to see some of the recovery efforts and boost the local economy.

Oh, how exciting! Three days after us! :) Have a great cruise! 

1 hour ago, accio7 said:

We did tour #2. 

It was fab.  I believe there were about 4-5 stops, including a good while at Maho Beach.  Sadly, the weather on Orient wasn't as good when we got there - overcast.  The driver was super cool.

Has anyone done the ATV tour? I was trying to decide if that would be a good option too. I enjoyed it when I was in Mexico and the tour guide knew I rode motocross and we would race to each little intersection and wait for the others to join. Then they said no sharp turns and the first thing my dad did was tip his lol. Last time I was in Mexico we only got the dune buggy that the shifter broke off while I was driving lol. So was looking forward to getting on another again but wasn't sure if it was just a boring ride or if they let you have a little fun at some point.