St. Maarten Beach choices

Dannyor40

I read on one of the RC facebook pages that the French side of Ste. Martin, including Marigot, was really hit hard by the hurricanes,

and that a lot of shops and restaurants in the city are still closed, and the beaches have been decimated with erosion.

Can anyone support/refute this?  I'm looking at Nov to go back, but really want to hit Marigot and Orient Beach.  Of course, there's 

nothing to guarantee that they won't be hit again this season (praying not).

Thanks

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Something I did the two times my cruises stopped in St Maarten.. I rented a jeep both times.  Think it's all of 13 miles completely around the island.. did a complete island tour, driving around..  Car / Jeep gives you flexibility to check out both countries.  Can swing by that airport and see planes landing.. Check out lunch in Marigot.  Hit a little of Orient Beach.. Just something to consider. Almost impossible to get lost.. 

In fact Orient Beach has two of my favorite stories while on cruises. 

First time there was on my honeymoon.. made it to Orient Beach.. stayed on the north end of beach.. just topless.. new wife and I decided to take a nice little walk up the beach away from the crowd..   As we're  walking up the beach, out of the water, bronzed and glistening, walking out of the water a young topless lady of twenty something.. For you older folks, picture Bo Derek, just a little younger and better endowed.  Wife goes holy sh*t.. Now being a newly wed I amazed myself..actually kept my mouth shut..  On way back past where she was sunning.. 3 guys coming in other direction, they glanced over and damn near tripped over each other staring.

Second time.. completely different experience..  Went to get a few drinks at one of the bars there.. just as we walk forward an OLD man, over 70, stepped in front of my wife and friend we met on cruise..  The gentleman was from the "clothing optional" side.. All he was wearing was a black fish net sarong..  All you hear from my wife, please don't turn around, please don't turn around.. yep.. she was seeing a wrinkle old bare ass man.. 

New to cruising but not to St. Martin - if you like laid back beaches and good food, my favorite places are Karibuni on Pinel Island (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g12673480-d2236618-Reviews-Restaurant_Le_Karibuni-Pinel_Island_Saint_Martin_St_Martin_St_Maarten.html) and Friar's Bay Beach Cafe (between Marigot and Grand Case): https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g3216454-d1758833-Reviews-Friars_Bay_Beach_Cafe-La_Savane_Saint_Martin_St_Martin_St_Maarten.html. You should be able to get cabs to either place, and arrange for pickup with your driver. Friar's Bay used to have a nice hiking trail to Happy Bay but I'm not sure what Irma did to it. Happy Bay is accessible by boat and on foot, and there are no facilities.

On the more luxe side, Loterie Farm is gorgeous and there's probably an excursion. No beach but a really nice pool/jungle complex. http://loteriefarm.com