Favorite thing to do after boarding the ship?

HLWIser

Hey everyone! My next cruise (in 5 days!!) will be on Adventure with a bunch of first-timers. I am the only one that has ever sailed Royal Caribbean. When I've boarded the ship in the past, we typically head straight to Windjammer and fuel up, but I'm looking for ideas on exploring the ship with people new to RC. Any ideas or favorites to see/do/ hang out at on the first day or night? I know it may be rather limited being on the first day, but I've been on Oasis class the last four times and am a little rusty on the Voyager class.

ALSO.. any idea how Priority Boarding will work for me? I am Diamond +, but my boyfriend is staying in the same room/ same reservation. Will I get priority boarding still or is that a no go since he is not a Crown and Anchor member?

Well first thing I do is hit the bar for a good drink! Then I like to explore the ship. it's a great time to get familiar with the ship, see places you may want to come back and check back later as well its a great time to get photo's around the ship while she is really clean and not full of people!

For first timers especially I think that would be enjoyable and to get familiar with the layout etc. I don't care for windjammers on boarding day...its usually mayhem in there....There will be other places not as busy to grab a bite.

Of course if the weather is nice...its pool deck hang out to people watch, enjoy some drinks and hopefully a fun sailaway party......these are the things I look forward to after 11 cruises so for a first timer I think it would be all very enjoyable.

Adventure is still a big ship with lots going on...

Say a little thank you to the "Big Guy" of allowing me to be on vacation. And by Big Guy...I'm not talking about my husband...lol :8_laughing:

We've had a rough year....cancer diagnoses for me, Major surgery, 12 chemo treatments, (finally finished), Hurricane Harvey flooding our home 2 weeks into my chemo.  I wasn't allowed any alcohol during my treatments......yea, I'm ready for a cruise...and a big ole Bloody Mary!  Come on May!!

After boarding, we like to head towards the nearest bar for a drink and walk around the ship to figure out where everything is! Usually, stuff like Sorrento's or Cafe Promenade is less crowded than the insanity that is the Windjammer after embarkation. The sail away party and pool deck on embarkation day is always a great time! 

For places to hang out in the evening, we are big fans of the pub as well as the schooner bar. We like the laid back atmosphere as well as the entertainment. The Viking Crown Lounge as well as the Champagne Bar/R Bar are some of our favorite stops for pre-dinner drinks. 

I remember my first day like it was yesterday......okay...a month ago!  Got to the terminal (Galveston) around 10:15 and got checked in.  Boarded shortly after that.  Went up to the pool deck and immediately got drinks at the bar at the corner of the pool (wound up being my worst drink of the cruise (Mai Tai).  Went to windjammers and on our way in saw a guy from Choppes.  Got our reservation for FNDR set up with him.  Next into Windjammer where i saw a person from Johnny Rockets...alas, no coupons.  Got lunch in Windjammers, headed down and walked thru promenade.  About this time they announced rooms were ready (1:15ish).  Went to room, unpacked and got settled in....just in time for muster....after muster returned to room...MISTAKE...while wife was in restroom, I sat on couch and looked out balcony doors.  That's when i noticed oil derrick outside was moving......only oil derricks don't move!!!  we were moving!  Yup!  Completely missed Sail-Away!  Oh well,  explored ship for a while then had last dinner at Choppes (excellent) before heading back to room and enjoying the cold balcony as we watched the lights of other ships moving thru the gulf.

Guest toodle68

We head to WJ, find a nice table by the window and just chill for a long lunch since we purposely do not eat much that morning. Then we take a tour of the ship and walk off the calories until 1pm when we hope we can get into our rooms. The last couple of cruises the bags have been waiting for us. We unpack, change and then head to the pool area.

Regarding your "significant other".  If the 2 of you share an address, it is possible for him to claim your D+ status.  If you are eligible for him to claim your status (same address), you must sign him up for C&A ahead of time and have C&A apply the D+ status to his account. That can take a number of days (or it can be instantaneous....you just never know) so I recommend if you are going to go this route, you do it ASAP.

If he attains your C&A status, there will be no issue for the 2 of you to both enjoy the D+ amenities, which include priority boarding.  If he is not eligible to claim your status, technically he is not granted priority boarding HOWEVER, I have seen many, many people bring their significant others through the priority boarding line anyway.  It all depends on who is marshalling the boarding lanes and how comfortable you are with trying to smuggle him through with you.

If he does attain your C&A level, he should understand that he is only getting that b/c of your status.  He will not be able to keep that status should your relationship status change.  He will begin accumulating points when he cruises but his points count will start at 0 and he would have to attain D+ on his own in order to enjoy those benefits should your relationship change.

5 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Regarding your "significant other".  If the 2 of you share an address, it is possible for him to claim your D+ status.  If you are eligible for him to claim your status (same address), you must sign him up for C&A ahead of time and have C&A apply the D+ status to his account. That can take a number of days (or it can be instantaneous....you just never know) so I recommend if you are going to go this route, you do it ASAP.

If he attains your C&A status, there will be no issue for the 2 of you to both enjoy the D+ amenities, which include priority boarding.  If he is not eligible to claim your status, technically he is not granted priority boarding HOWEVER, I have seen many, many people bring their significant others through the priority boarding line anyway.  It all depends on who is marshalling the boarding lanes and how comfortable you are with trying to smuggle him through with you.

If he does attain your C&A level, he should understand that he is only getting that b/c of your status.  He will not be able to keep that status should your relationship status change.  He will begin accumulating points when he cruises but his points count will start at 0 and he would have to attain D+ on his own in order to enjoy those benefits should your relationship change.

+1 on this - when my husband and I moved in together a few years before the whole 'marriage' thing we had my C&A account linked to his - bumped me up to Platinum, and now our next Adventure cruise will be our first Emerald cruise. Looking at Diamond around mid-2019 :) 

We always try and get reservations knocked out first (Specialty restaurants), then a snack or meal, then a drink, explore the ship if we haven't been on it before or just familiarize ourselves again if it is one we have been on recently, maybe then to the Solarium for a quick swim (Always have a swim suite in our carry on bag)  then to the room and unpack if luggage shows up, by then it is Muster time (On Adventure it will be outside on deck 5, running track, I think), then up on the top deck to watch sail away and have another drink, then clean up for dinner, dinner, either a show or a stroll on the top deck under the stars. I like an occasional cigar so I might have one while strolling the top deck, then maybe a late night snack before bed...

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Wow thank you for the insight! Do you know if this is true if this is his first RC cruise ever? I thought that household members could not get locked into your status until after their first completed cruise? Just curious what I need to say to the RC agent on the phone when I call.

3 hours ago, KLAconQueso said:

+1 on this - when my husband and I moved in together a few years before the whole 'marriage' thing we had my C&A account linked to his - bumped me up to Platinum, and now our next Adventure cruise will be our first Emerald cruise. Looking at Diamond around mid-2019 :) 

Did you have the same address listed on your passport? Im worried that since our addresses are different on our passports, they won't allow him to be under my status, although we do live at the same place.

1 minute ago, HLWIser said:

Did you have the same address listed on your passport? Im worried that since our addresses are different on our passports, they won't allow him to be under my status, although we do live at the same place.

They don't have access to US government databases.  They only see the passport number.  Just make sure both your C&A accounts have the same address before requesting. 

20 minutes ago, HLWIser said:

Wow thank you for the insight! Do you know if this is true if this is his first RC cruise ever? I thought that household members could not get locked into your status until after their first completed cruise? Just curious what I need to say to the RC agent on the phone when I call.

Not quite sure about SO status but if it's anything like children it can be done prior to first cruise.  I just did this recently for my March cruise coming up.  My kids have never sailed RCI and I just called the C&A number and they added them onto our reservation and gave them a number for future use.  She said they would have our status upon sailing.  She also said to re-print the Set Sail pass after I add them in.  Takes 24hrs to process.

1 minute ago, HLWIser said:

At no point did she ask me the address. But these are kids too so not sure about SO.

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Just called- they said they cannot add him on to my account because we are not married/ spouses.. they also said that we can't even be linked due to him not being on a RC cruise before, as his Crown & Anchor will not be activated until after his first cruise is over. :(

She also said he will not be able to get priority boarding even if we are linked on the reservation! Dang!

My favourite things to do are as follows: -

1) Get a drink or two

2) Start making passive aggressive comments about how long it takes to have the room ready

3) Indulge in comfort eating to suppress said passive aggressive behaviour

4) realising you have no patience, normally after the 3rd or 4th drink from the bar despite having done 3 cruises already and this is no different from any other cruise you've done

5) thanking yourself you got the drinks package otherwise passive aggressive tendencies are going to be expensive on this trip!!

6) breathe a sigh of relief as you find the room is ready

7) attempt to sober up as you find out its almost dinner time and you have to look and act respectable

Exclusively in that order I find - probably an unhealthy start to any vacation but I guess I'll just have to work hard til I get to high enough status for priority boarding like yourself!

2 hours ago, HLWIser said:

Just called- they said they cannot add him on to my account because we are not married/ spouses.. they also said that we can't even be linked due to him not being on a RC cruise before, as his Crown & Anchor will not be activated until after his first cruise is over. :(

She also said he will not be able to get priority boarding even if we are linked on the reservation! Dang!

Call again. In RC world, you may get another answer if you speak to someone else.

As for boarding, I’ve read too many stories of friends (even in other staterooms) joining priority boarding lines without question. Worth a try and the worst is they can say no and SO may have to wait 30 more minutes. 

14 hours ago, HLWIser said:

Did you speak to a C&A rep or a RC rep?  The C&A reps are much more knowledgeable.  I agree with @melski94, might be worth another call, especially if you did not call the C&A number.

15 hours ago, HLWIser said:

They gave you bogus information.  Your status absolutely CAN be bestowed to him but I will concede that he may have to cruise once, first.  I had not considered that.  It seems to me that it should work the same as it did for Sabrina's children but it might not.  Eventually though, it can.  Also, don't worry about the boarding thing.  Even if he is not permitted to board with you (and I don't really know how they would know if you walk through first and he comes with you) but if you have to board in the non-priority line it's usually only a matter of a few minutes anyway.  You will both be so excited that you won't even notice.  

5 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

They gave you bogus information.  Your status absolutely CAN be bestowed to him but I will concede that he may have to cruise once, first.  I had not considered that.  It seems to me that it should work the same as it did for Sabrina's children but it might not.  Eventually though, it can.  Also, don't worry about the boarding thing.  Even if he is not permitted to board with you (and I don't really know how they would know if you walk through first and he comes with you) but if you have to board in the non-priority line it's usually only a matter of a few minutes anyway.  You will both be so excited that you won't even notice.  

Thanks so much for all your advice! It's been very helpful!

22 hours ago, Suzanne said:

Say a little thank you to the "Big Guy" of allowing me to be on vacation. And by Big Guy...I'm not talking about my husband...lol :8_laughing:

We've had a rough year....cancer diagnoses for me, Major surgery, 12 chemo treatments, (finally finished), Hurricane Harvey flooding our home 2 weeks into my chemo.  I wasn't allowed any alcohol during my treatments......yea, I'm ready for a cruise...and a big ole Bloody Mary!  Come on May!!

I was diagnose with breast cancer twice. After my last treatment, I went on a cruise to refresh and relax. This last bout with breast cancer, my husband told me to book more cruises after my last treatment. He told me no pressure, no problem mon ( a creole saying). So I am say to you, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! NO PRESSURE, NO PROBLEM MON! HAVE A GREAT TIME IN MAY!!!! HAVE A BLOODY MARY FOR ME.

@HLWIser not sure if you've looked at the fine print but here it is, straight from their website.  So I agree with @twangster.  You can play the SO card.

A Crown & Anchor Society member can be added into a relationship with other family members in the same household and receive equivalent tier status; however Cruise Points will remain according to actual cruises taken and calculated using the Program level accrual system described above. Pinnacle Club member tier status will not be awarded to dependents if earned by their parent and/or guardian. Pinnacle Club member tier status can only be earned by an individual, spouse or significant other by one of them accumulating 700 Cruise Points or more in the CAS program. For all tiers except Pinnacle Club, a relationship is defined as a spouse or significant other and children less than 18 years old. For Pinnacle Club a relationship is considered a spouse and/or significant other. Children will be taken out of a relationship with a parent or guardian upon their 18th birthday date. If it is found that a dependent or child is not immediately removed from a relationship upon their 18th birthday and accumulates a higher tier status outside of this time period, the dependents record will be adjust back to the appropriate tier status.

13 minutes ago, HLWIser said:

Thanks so much for all your advice! It's been very helpful!

I will offer one more option.  When you called C&A did you call the D+ desk ?

INSIDER secret, if you don't already know it:  Dial the regular C&A number and as soon as the recording starts, press 9.  That will forward your call to the D+ desk.  I have heard and read that there really is no D+ desk and this number just forwards to the same line as anyone else would get but maybe there really is a D+ desk.  Let me put it this way - they answer "Diamond Plus" so there must be SOME indication to them that it's a D+ calling !  I have always gotten whatever question I had, answered, when I dialed the "9" but maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.  It can't hurt, right ?

9 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

@HLWIser not sure if you've looked at the fine print but here it is, straight from their website.  So I agree with @twangster.  You can play the SO card.

A Crown & Anchor Society member can be added into a relationship with other family members in the same household and receive equivalent tier status; 

Same household means living together at the same address. Not sure of your situation so that may be another hiccup.  

51 minutes ago, Sweety said:

I was diagnose with breast cancer twice. After my last treatment, I went on a cruise to refresh and relax. This last bout with breast cancer, my husband told me to book more cruises after my last treatment. He told me no pressure, no problem mon ( a creole saying). So I am say to you, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! NO PRESSURE, NO PROBLEM MON! HAVE A GREAT TIME IN MAY!!!! HAVE A BLOODY MARY FOR ME.

Thank you everyone for the love and support.

39 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I will offer one more option.  When you called C&A did you call the D+ desk ?

INSIDER secret, if you don't already know it:  Dial the regular C&A number and as soon as the recording starts, press 9.  That will forward your call to the D+ desk.  I have heard and read that there really is no D+ desk and this number just forwards to the same line as anyone else would get but maybe there really is a D+ desk.  Let me put it this way - they answer "Diamond Plus" so there must be SOME indication to them that it's a D+ calling !  I have always gotten whatever question I had, answered, when I dialed the "9" but maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.  It can't hurt, right ?

Yep! Called and Dialed 9 and they said "Diamond Plus Desk". I told her I wanted to add my household member to my sailing and she got it done for me. Yay!! Again, thanks everyone for all the insight and help. Although he did get Diamond since that's what my points (104) are - I just have Diamond Plus status due to my parents getting it before I turned 18, as I am Diamond on my own.