Deluxe Drink Package

D Murphy

I've said it before, but here it comes again.  Personally, I think that the change in the beverage package policy has NOTHING to do with people sharing illicitly.  They had to have known that there would be some amount of illicit sharing and were willing to endure it when they allowed the packages to be purchased by only 1 person in the cabin.  I think that they tried it and realized they were losing too much revenue (because many were choosing not to purchase) and changed it back again to where everyone in the cabin must purchase if anyone does.

Are there some cheaters ?  Of course !  Even now they will have cheaters.  ...but I do not believe that the cheaters were the catalyst for reversing the policy.

I find this all very interesting in light of that article I shared last week.  Assuming the fact from the article is true, that only 8-10% of people actually purchase a drink package, I wonder how the new policy changes things now for them?  I can say for myself, the new policy stops me from purchasing or at least makes me consider very carefully.

On 2/9/2018 at 4:59 PM, tiny260 said:

Answer a full sentence with:

Right?

Is that an answer or a question? Mine are grown, now I'm dealing with Grand-kids...

On our Oasis cruise last summer, we had the grands with us so we didn't get the deluxe drink package.  However, with our Alaska cruise coming this summer, we are going with 3 other couples, so we are getting the deluxe package.

4 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I've said it before, but here it comes again.  Personally, I think that the change in the beverage package policy has NOTHING to do with people sharing illicitly.  They had to have known that there would be some amount of illicit sharing and were willing to endure it when they allowed the packages to be purchased by only 1 person in the cabin.  I think that they tried it and realized they were losing too much revenue (because many were choosing not to purchase) and changed it back again to where everyone in the cabin must purchase if anyone does.

Are there some cheaters ?  Of course !  Even now they will have cheaters.  ...but I do not believe that the cheaters were the catalyst for reversing the policy.

I think there is a generational difference where younger people would share a DP a lot more than guests that are their parents age.  It's a lot more common for older couples to have one spouse who can't or won't drink very much.  Younger cruisers like to party like its the college they graduated from a year or couple ago, both male and female.  As Royal tries to tap into that crowd more - the first time cruisers, they need to nip that sharing in the bud.

I'm also not convinced it will increase revenue.  I've seen a lot people now saying they will go without the DP since they have to buy two.  If it is just a money grab I think this will lower revenue, not increase it.  There is huge margin in liquor at the prices they charge and now many people won't drink as much since they will be pay as you go.  I honestly do not believe the same people who bought it for one will now buy it for two just because they have to, I think many will go without.  I know when I don't have the DP I am very aware of drink costs and drink differently.   We certainly did on Carnival back in those days.

The next logical reaction will be to scale back diamond happy hour since it is cutting into DP sales.  Look how many on this site who are diamond are saying they won't buy the package because of happy hour.   They've got to be struggling with the cost of the diamond program with its ranks swelling in numbers.

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

I honestly do not believe the same people who bought it for one will now buy it for two just because they have to, I think many will go without. 

This is what's happening with my group. It seems most of them are not getting it since they both would have to.  I am but I have a studio room so don't have to worry about anyone else. I've been going back and forth though with whether I'm keeping it.

4 minutes ago, ellcee said:

This is what's happening with my group. It seems most of them are not getting it since they both would have to.  I am but I have a studio room so don't have to worry about anyone else. I've been going back and forth though with whether I'm keeping it.

Tell them to shuffle names in cabins.  Two drinkers in one cabin, no drinkers in the next cabin.  Once they get on board they can get keys adjusted from guest services.

16 minutes ago, twangster said:

I've seen a lot people now saying they will go without the DP since they have to buy two. 

That's me!

16 minutes ago, twangster said:

The next logical reaction will be to scale back diamond happy hour since it is cutting into DP sales.  Look how many on this site who are diamond are saying they won't buy the package because of happy hour.   They've got to be struggling with the cost of the diamond program with its ranks swelling in numbers.

Oh come on!  Just as I'm about to reach Diamond!  Stay positive and don't give them ideas. lol

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

I think there is a generational difference where younger people would share a DP a lot more than guests that are their parents age.  It's a lot more common for older couples to have one spouse who can't or won't drink very much.  Younger cruisers like to party like its the college they graduated from a year or couple ago, both male and female.  As Royal tries to tap into that crowd more - the first time cruisers, they need to nip that sharing in the bud.

I realize I can't speak for everyone my age, but as a 27 year old cruiser (who started cruising at 25) I can say I am old enough to follow the dang rules and do not (and never have) participated in the DP sharing.

... that said, on our honeymoon we saw a group of 'bros' in Central Park yelling to their friends a few decks up, and in the same breath one of them asked his buddy to go grab him a drink from the Trellis Bar. 

1 minute ago, twangster said:

Tell them to shuffle names in cabins.  Two drinkers in one cabin, no drinkers in the next cabin.  Once they get on board they can get keys adjusted from guest services.

Thank you!!! Not sure it'll work for the married couples but it will for some of the others!

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

I think there are a number of areas where the diamond program is a problem for Royal.  They seem to be victims of their own success.  Free drinks and drink packages is only one area.  I completely agree that there are changes coming.  They have already started with the removal of the CL and its conversion to SL.  I think that change is also a component of exporting the Suite Life program to the "rest" of the fleet, but that's another topic for another time.  I feel certain that they will inject a new loyalty level in between Diamond Plus and Pinnacle (sapphire level ?).  That gap is just too big and encompasses too many souls.  I've been reading on CC that there is a new mandate out of Corporate that forbids all ships from expanding their current Diamond Lounge to adjoining spaces when the DL becomes over-crowded.  I'm not sure what the purpose of this new mandate is but it certainly seems to be making some upper level C&A members most unhappy.  My guess is that soon, the Diamond Lounge will only be for Diamond Plus, whatever new level is created and Pinnacle members and that Diamond members will be relegated to the "free" coupon drinks outside of the DL.  Of course, IF that happens, they will have to rename the Diamond Lounge.  What's a DL when Diamond members are no longer welcome ?!!  ALL speculation !

1 minute ago, ellcee said:

Thank you!!! Not sure it'll work for the married couples but it will for some of the others!

They don't have to actually swap cabins, just arrange names then adjust it on board so spouses stay together.

But here we go down the rabbit hole again,  finding ways to circumvent the policy.

One would think they would have been able to lower drink package prices given the requirement for two to buy it.  Two x $295 is reasonable and more than they got before.  Two x $420 plus 18% (based on $60 we now see on board) is too scary for most to entertain.  Me thinks they have killed the golden goose.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I think there are a number of areas where the diamond program is a problem for Royal.  They seem to be victims of their own success.  Free drinks and drink packages is only one area.  I completely agree that there are changes coming.  

Agreed.  It's one of the reasons I'm all about scrambling up to D+ as quickly as possible not that they couldn't re-write the program to retroactively knock me back to emerald like benefits.  If they do that it will generate a lot of ill will and remove the "Loyal" from "Loyal2Royal" for many guests.  That's the challenge I'm sure they are struggling with.  

A bartender recently warned me changes are coming.

I think RCI also send mixed messages with the enforcement of their policies. For example, 1) they state that diamond drink vouchers may not be used in restaurants, but they will happily yet you use them. 2) The signs in the diamond and concierge lounge state you should not take drinks from the lounge, but the concierge stated on day 1 to ignore that rule. 3) You can't bring water or soft drink on the ship but they do not question or stop it if you do.

Don't get we wrong, most exceptions work in the guests favour so I am definitely not against them.

The trouble starts when you have all these policies but do not enforce them, by nature people notice and will start making their own exceptions.

I think that is why @WAAAYTOOO is right, it is not about people sharing, but increasing revenue. You can't successfully implement RCI's double-double program (double the company’s 2014 earnings per share by 2017 and increase return on invested capital to double digits) without realistically charging more and/or offering less.

1 hour ago, F1guynz said:

2) The signs in the diamond and concierge lounge state you should not take drinks from the lounge, but the concierge stated on day 1 to ignore that rule. 3) You can't bring water or soft drink on the ship but they do not question or stop it if you do.

Kind of like "formal night" and yet folks in shorts, Hawaiian shirts, flip lops, etc are allowed into the MDR....... :27_sunglasses:

15 hours ago, twangster said:

It's one of the reasons I'm all about scrambling up to D+ as quickly as possible

We were Emerald when Royal changed the rules for awarding cruise points.  We were nearing Diamond but knew that we would lose ground if they changed the program before we could attain D.  We knew they were about to change the program (chats with a loyalty ambassador on one of our cruises) so I booked all of the cruises that we would need to make it to Diamond.  Sure enough, not long after that, they changed the rules to begin counting cruise nights vs cruises.  We were still Emerald.  I made a call to C&A, explained that I had all of the cruises "on the books" that would put us over the old D threshold and they told me that they would grandfather us in b/c I had already booked all of the necessary cruises.  They made some kind of permanent entry both of our files b/c I had to cancel one of those cruises during that time (Dan had to go to California for prostate cancer treatment) and they still honored their promise, even allowing me to add a cruise onto the end to make up for the one we had to cancel.

So, my advice to you is...go ahead and book everything that you will need to get to D+ and if they make some kind of change before you get over the finish line, call them and make the same plea I did.  Apparently there were many who did pretty much the same thing I did b/c they didn't even hesitate to let me stay under the old program until I reached D.  My guess is they have to make similar arrangements whenever they change their program in some big way.

2 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

We were Emerald when Royal changed the rules for awarding cruise points.  We were nearing Diamond but knew that we would lose ground if they changed the program before we could attain D.  We knew they were about to change the program (chats with a loyalty ambassador on one of our cruises) so I booked all of the cruises that we would need to make it to Diamond.  Sure enough, not long after that, they changed the rules to begin counting cruise nights vs cruises.  We were still Emerald.  I made a call to C&A, explained that I had all of the cruises "on the books" that would put us over the old D threshold and they told me that they would grandfather us in b/c I had already booked all of the necessary cruises.  They made some kind of permanent entry both of our files b/c I had to cancel one of those cruises during that time (Dan had to go to California for prostate cancer treatment) and they still honored their promise, even allowing me to add a cruise onto the end to make up for the one we had to cancel.

So, my advice to you is...go ahead and book everything that you will need to get to D+ and if they make some kind of change before you get over the finish line, call them and make the same plea I did.  Apparently there were many who did pretty much the same thing I did b/c they didn't even hesitate to let me stay under the old program until I reached D.  My guess is they have to make similar arrangements whenever they change their program in some big way.

Oddly I don't need very much encouragement to book a cruise.  My current active bookings are all NRD and will take me to 245.  D+ achieved after Serenade in April.  I'm feeling changes are coming and would like to be D+ before the changes just so its an easier argument to retain it *should* changes be made.  All speculation. 

I'm entertaining making a run at 340 in 2019 to get the single supplement reduced discount but I'm holding back chasing 340 until I know it will still be there or what it might take to reach it.

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

Oddly I don't need very much encouragement to book a cruise.  My current active bookings are all NRD and will take me to 245.  D+ achieved after Serenade in April.  I'm feeling changes are coming and would like to be D+ before the changes just so its an easier argument to retain it *should* changes be made.  All speculation. 

I'm entertaining making a run at 340 in 2019 to get the single supplement reduced discount but I'm holding back chasing 340 until I know it will still be there or what it might take to reach it.

You don't need a girl to get Pinnacle, you just need another year! Lol.

3 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

You don't need a girl to get Pinnacle, you just need another year! Lol.

It's going to take more than a year.  I'm not sure I can sustain this pace and I'll only be a 3rd of the way going into 2019.  Besides, unless "the girl" is pretty high up at RCI they don't status match Pinnacle so I'm left having it as a fond concept, right up there with winning the lottery.   

We will go over 350 during our Christmas/NY cruise on Grandeur this year.  I, like you, am pushing to get past that threshold as I feel like that is where they will make the cut-off if they insert a new level.  It has taken us 12 years to get this far (much of that in suites, so double points !) and it will just be HALFWAY to Pinnacle.  I cannot imagine that I will live long enough to ever reach Pinnacle - even with us retiring and moving to FL in 2 years.

I understand your interest in getting past 340 to activate the single supplement thing.  

On 2/9/2018 at 1:36 PM, JLMoran said:

Well, for what it's worth I bought the drink package ($43/night) and fully plan to be getting myself a margarita as soon as possible after we board, as well as enjoy a couple of glasses of wine or beer with dinner each night, and a cocktail to sip during shows. And probably something fruity and umbrella-adorned while lounging by the pool or the sun deck.

Life with teenage children. They're old enough to get themselves out of whatever trouble they might get into. :10_wink: :29_smirk:

Oh yes...me too!  At some point they don't WANT to spend time with you!   I don't think I will see my 15 year old on freedom except for fighting over the bathroom and the beach day at nachi.  

In terms of the drink pkg, figure out what's most important.  If you pay an extra 49 bucks but it's prepaid,  is that ok? Will you stress every time you buy a drink of you don't get a pkg? Will you make yourself drink mite because you have it? Are you on a port heavy cruise?   Will one person make up for the other?  Will you chance the drink card?  Figure out what will make you have the best vacation and don't look back.   We've gone both ways and both times we were fine... And I refused to do the math afterwards because it wasn't worth it.  Don't stress,  enjoy the vacation and don't let it get you angry over a company policy!   Just my 2 cents worth... Jane

WAAAYTOOO and the others have me and the Mrs.  convinced that on our cruise on Sunday we will become Diamond.  We will definitely book enough future cruises to get us D Plus.  But do agree that who knows where this will all play out.  And yes if necessary we will plead our case if we have too.   As far as the drink pkgs.  We did it in Europe last year and it was worth it .  This next cruise it would have cost $1500 and know way will we run up that high of a bar tab.  

On 2/7/2018 at 7:25 AM, D Murphy said:

After posting our concerns about the deluxe drink package..we called RCL once again.

Due to medical reasons..(chemo treatments) my wife cannot drink and thus being forced to buy 2 drink packages is prohibitive

We were told that she wouldn't have to buy the drink package..but WOULD have to purchase one of the other packages

The soda..water..etc..is $20/ day...Has anyone else been told the same?..

That would still bring our total to about $900 for a 12 day cruise out of Baltimore..

THAT IS INSANE!!!....As diamond members we expected more from RCL

I am not a fan of the drink packages. We didn't purchase one for the cruise we just finished on Sunday. We bought a few drinks, but with the free champagne at art auctions and Captains Welcome, plus from the Chef's Table, we had plenty of beverage. I hope your wife is responding well to treatment, and I'm glad she's able to cruise regardless.

6 hours ago, fonemanbob said:

WAAAYTOOO and the others have me and the Mrs.  convinced that on our cruise on Sunday we will become Diamond.  We will definitely book enough future cruises to get us D Plus.  But do agree that who knows where this will all play out.  And yes if necessary we will plead our case if we have too.   As far as the drink pkgs.  We did it in Europe last year and it was worth it .  This next cruise it would have cost $1500 and know way will we run up that high of a bar tab.  

Congratulations on getting to Diamond. That’s a huge accomplishment !

• 1 month later...

Sorry if this has been asked... can't find the answer....   We are going on the Harmony, both husband and I got the drink package.  First cruise as Diamond.  My daughter is in a separate cabin and is 21.  Will my husband and I still get 3 drink vouchers a day even though I have the drink package?  And could I use one once in a while to get her a drink?   

If it's really up to the bartender, then I'm fine - we plan on making friends ($$) with a bartender or two 

but if we want to do this at dinner or elsewhere, didn't know if there was an official rule....

Thanks!

15 minutes ago, jaadance30 said:

Sorry if this has been asked... can't find the answer....   We are going on the Harmony, both husband and I got the drink package.  First cruise as Diamond.  My daughter is in a separate cabin and is 21.  Will my husband and I still get 3 drink vouchers a day even though I have the drink package?  And could I use one once in a while to get her a drink?   

If it's really up to the bartender, then I'm fine - we plan on making friends ($$) with a bartender or two 

but if we want to do this at dinner or elsewhere, didn't know if there was an official rule....

Thanks!

The deluxe drink package pretty much makes Diamond Happy Hour superfluous for you. 

Diamond happy hour makes a limited menu of drinks free (up to 3 at most bars but not the dining rooms, bionic bar not included).  In the Diamond Lounge itself it is pretty much open bar with the same limited menu for drink selection.  

5ab187e596593_DiamondHappyHour.jpeg.753d742569ddbf3ff3079fdf5289cc29.jpeg

I take it the question is... "Can I share Diamond drinks with a non-Diamond". 

The original Diamond Happy Hour started in the Diamond Lounge and to access the lounge you had to be Diamond.  Bringing a non-Diamond family member with you was/is not allowed.  The 3 drink 'coupons' loaded onto your SeaPass card was done to deal with overcrowding in the Diamond lounge in an attempt to reduce the number of Diamond members converging on the lounge.   Basically they are trying to spread Diamond members throughout the ship.

Reading the Diamond letter placed in cabin I don't see where it addresses 'sharing'.  I don't think that was the intention of the 'coupons' but it doesn't seem to indicate it is not allowed.

The problem is going to be the bartenders swiping your SeaPass card.  I think the system would be disposed to defaulting to the drink package.  I don't know if a bartender can override that and direct the computer to charge the drink and credit your account with a Diamond coupon.  Often that is how they appear on my SeaPass account - a drink charge and then a credit for the same amount on the next line. 

I guess you could ask a bartender and explain what you are trying to do. 

On 2/8/2018 at 6:16 PM, Pooch said:

If we get mimosas with room service breakfast, is it covered by the drink package? Or only in the restaurant?

But remember, you can bring two 750ml bottles of wine or champagne per stateroom.  Room service will deliver orange juice and a bucket of ice for free. :27_sunglasses:

I am trying to get a firm answer from RCCL on just how the “no concierge lounge” thing is handled.  And the videos i’ve been watching of the grand suites all seem to have a fruit tray and bottle of champagne on the counter.  Maybe we’ll have one too!

Is it correct that I  can cancel the drink package up to 3 days prior to sailing & get it refunded?

52 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Is it correct that I  can cancel the drink package up to 3 days prior to sailing & get it refunded?

I've never been that close to the wire, but yes, you can drop and add whatever you want in the cruise planner until it gets locked down at T minus 3 days.  After that you are at the mercy of guest services on the ship.

Thanks for the responses...  the hard part is if I want to buy her a drink, how can I do it then?   Her card is linked to her own credit card, so if I want to get her a drink on me, then it won't work because of the drink package...   

Well, it is what it is. Hopefully I'll find the right bartender to help me.... anything beats the foot of snow that fell last night!  leaving tomorrow - on board Saturday... I can't wait!

42 minutes ago, jaadance30 said:

Thanks for the responses...  the hard part is if I want to buy her a drink, how can I do it then?   Her card is linked to her own credit card, so if I want to get her a drink on me, then it won't work because of the drink package...  

You can still buy drinks for other people if you have a drink package (and pay full price for that drink).  Just tell your bartender and they'll charge your account instead of ringing it up as a drink package drink.

If you both have a drink package, most of the bartenders will let you get two drinks if you bring them both Seapass cards, but they technically are only supposed to serve the actual cardholder, so YMMV.  The pool bars in particular are pretty lenient about that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2018 at 8:17 AM, Matt said:

That appears to be the line these days.

i guess it is better than making you buy two deluxe packages, and only use one.   personally, i think the price is too high, which is why some people try working the system a bit.  i think they price it based on the lushiest of alcoholics overall consumption.  i dont want the package, but the wife does.  600 bucks...BAM.  the cruise was only 1000, so it is significant.