Uber From MCO to Port Canaveral, or Better Option?

Iluv4n6

Hi All!  Newbies to the boards here getting psyched for our first cruise on a truly big RC ship later this month.  Been reading through your informative posts and listening to Matt's mellifluous baritone on the podcasts...we now have a notebook full of tips and are starting to feel dangerous!

On one of the podcasts, I recall Matt describing an option for a small group (like 2, in our case) to travel from Orlando Airport to Port Canaveral/Cocoa Beach by taking a taxi just outside the airport (gas station?) and hiring an Uber from there.  Not sure if/how Ubers work at this airport, but I seem to be able to find quotes for this trip.  Also not sure about disembarking from a taxi right outside the airport, unless there is a good/safe place to do so for an Uber pick up.  We are traveling to a hotel in CB the evening before the cruise instead of going straight to the ship.  We are arriving in the PC/CB area after the rental car shops close.

Thanks for any suggestions.  And also a big thanks for the vibrant, fun community you all have created here!  

Uber used to be banned from airport property and you had to work around it by cabbing it to somewhere nearby and continuing with Uber from there.  Not sure if that's what Matt was referring to, or if there's still some significant cost benefit to getting away from the airport before continuing on to Cocoa Beach.

As far as I know, that's still the case for Uber so a lot of people use that method. The taxi drivers tend to know what's going on and might get a little annoyed about it. 

An option I've used is Smart-Two shuttles. They offer pretty reasonable rates if you don't want to deal with either Uber or a rental car. Huge vans, always on time, with wifi, usb ports, and bottled water available. I've used them two separate times for round trips and always had a very positive experience. 

Thanks for the feedback!  Will check on the cost and schedule for a Smart-Two shuttle.  The hotel manager where we are staying in Cocoa Beach also suggested I contact T&K transportation for a quote.  May still compare these options to a taxi drop off somewhere near the airport and Ubering from there. 

56 minutes ago, Orange Crush said:

Uber used to be banned from airport property and you had to work around it by cabbing it to somewhere nearby and continuing with Uber from there.  Not sure if that's what Matt was referring to, or if there's still some significant cost benefit to getting away from the airport before continuing on to Cocoa Beach.

Correct, but Uber can now pick up from the airport: http://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/06/22/ubert-lyft-pick-up-now-allowed-at-orlando-airport/

2 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Thanks, @Matt! Perfect timing on that reply, was just about to ask if there might also be any issues at FLL.

36 minutes ago, twangster said:

No issues at FLL.  The app will tell you the zone you must use to be picked up curb side at the terminal.  At least it does using Lyft, assume Uber would as well.

Uber works the same - I've taken Uber from FLL to the Port of Miami and it was around $35 total (and we had four of us in the car).

The main issue I've heard of people encountering with Uber and Port Everglades is that Uber drivers might not have the right documentation to get in to Port Everglades, which can cause issues getting you all the way to the terminal. Taxi drivers usually have this organized. Taxi from FLL to Port Everglades was around $20 with tip.

40 minutes ago, twangster said:

No issues at FLL.  The app will tell you the zone you must use to be picked up curb side at the terminal.  At least it does using Lyft, assume Uber would as well.

1 minute ago, KLAconQueso said:

Uber works the same - I've taken Uber from FLL to the Port of Miami and it was around $35 total (and we had four of us in the car).

The main issue I've heard of people encountering with Uber and Port Everglades is that Uber drivers might not have the right documentation to get in to Port Everglades, which can cause issues getting you all the way to the terminal. Taxi drivers usually have this organized. Taxi from FLL to Port Everglades was around $20 with tip.

Thanks, both of you! I'm planning on using Lyft, so hopefully will have smooth sailing.

1 minute ago, KLAconQueso said:

Is that 4 people including luggage? LOL, I'm worried about fitting all of my crew plus our luggage in an Uber from FLL to Port of Miami.. We are tall/ large people :) lol, I've usually done the RC shuttle in the past, never an Uber.

Just now, HLWIser said:

Is that 4 people including luggage? LOL, I'm worried about fitting all of my crew plus our luggage in an Uber from FLL to Port of Miami.. We are tall/ large people :) lol, I've usually done the RC shuttle in the past, never an Uber.

Yes! But, this was for a 3 day cruise and we had all packed light. Uber XL might work better for lots of luggage/people! 

Normal Uber or Lyft wont work with 4 people and all your luggage. You will defn need the bigger option, but will still be cheaper.

I just used Lyft at FLL a cpl weeks ago...just go out the doors by the luggage pick up and head left. You will see the LONG line of taxis who are not busy and then just across is the busy crazy line for shared rides...cant miss it!...Was 1/3 the price of  a taxi so a no brainer.

As for MCO...there are lots of shuttle options...as well as town car limo's and then of course Uber's.....Wide variety in price. If you hadn't already booked the hotel I would have recommended a site that includes your hotel stay and shuttle both ways....for a great deal.

Informative, useful...nah, really awesome feedback everyone!!  I now feel much better about Uber/Lyft as a viable option.  And on this trip, it will  just be my wife and me, so we should fit fine in a ride-share vehicle -- if we skip the steamer trunk this time! :1_grinning:  Also glad to know Uber is "officially approved" at the airport, as I could find quotes in the apps for the trip from MCO to Cocoa Beach. 

Because I am now in hyper-logistics mode, I will undoubtedly also check pricing and schedules for some shuttles, including a shuttle/taxi co (T&K Transportation) recommended by the hotel we'll be staying at in the kitchy center of CB. Want to soak in a little classic FL beach vibe before hopping on a ginormous ship the next morning.  And due to the the great advice on the podcast and these boards, we will arrive early for embarkation regardless of when RC's passenger management computer says it wants us at the ship.  (Being from the Midwest, we tend to follow rules out of habit, but we're gonna break this one!)  

• 3 weeks later...

I have used Ace Luxury transportation two times and have them booked for a third trip.  We are a family of four and we book the SUV.  It fits all of us and luggage and they are always waiting for us upon arrival.  They provide car seats/booster for free also.  For me its nice to have an extra set of hands with the luggage since i usually look like a pack mule carrying everyones stuff.  They are highly rated.  Maybe not the cheapest route but the extra help and car seats are nice.

• 1 month later...

I've see several positive comments about ACE Luxury on this forum so far. I prefer private transfers too (we use a different company - STAR TRANS-VIP).

I am willing to pay a bit more for convenience and safety of my kids. I love the fact that our driver always meets us at the baggage claim and helps with luggage. We get free car seats and a free grocery stop on the way to port. We usually get an extended SUV with plenty of room for luggage and a TV/DVD to entertain kids during the 45 / 60 min ride.