Now Time for Australia to Have a Ship Fulltime?

With the announcement that Carnival is adding Carnival Spirit to its two other ships that are already full time in the Australian market is it now time for RCI to follow suit?

RCI normally operate in Australia / New Zealand between October and March (spring, summer) each year before redeploying them to Alaska and Asia. This means we are without an RCI option for 7 months a year leaving the market to Carnival, Princess and P&O who have ships in the region year round.

If we want to sail outside this window it is necessary to fly for 8-10 hours up to Singapore or China and those cruises are not targeted at the western demographic.

It would be nice if when the next round of itineraries are announced that at least 1 ship stays in our market year round offering cruises up to the Pacific Islands during our winter. These cruises are already popular with the other lines and I guess for us it would be the equivalent of a Caribbean cruise in the midst of winter.

Originally Carnival started with 1 ship in the market year round and now they are expanding to 2 with another here during peak times.

I know there is a high demand for ships but in a fast growing and presumably profit market (Australians and New Zealanders really like their alcohol, on our cruise on Ovation the bar staff went from 40 for China to 140 for Australia) it might now be worth having a market presence all year round.

Probably a only a pipe dream for the near future but it would certainly be nice to have more choice about when to cruise and how often. 

4 hours ago, jurrjurr said:

Only way I see that happening is if RCCL moves one of their ships from Asia to Australia.  Just too much demand for Caribbean itineraries.  

Hopefully once Spectrum of the Seas moves into Asia that will then allow one of those ships based in Asia to move to Australia.

Wishful thinking I know but hope springs eternal.

Hi there . I love to get royal all year round ship in Australia . The major issue is sydney harbour , i know there are ports in Melb new port in Brisbane in the making . Royal has said they want to leave from syd harbour . They are planning garden island but the navy are reluctant to help out . Another reason is carnival and p@o have first dips what ports they can use especially in South Pacific  . Carnival spirit will be all year round . Both legend and the new splendor will be seasonal . 

1 hour ago, Denisbujaroski said:

Both legend and the new splendor will be seasonal

Hi, Splendor is seasonal at the moment but will be permantly based in Australia from December 2019.

https://www.carnival.com.au/promotional/carnival-splendor

i think it would take time before any ship could be released to the Australian market on a more permanent basis. I don’t see anything happening for a couple of years but fingers crossed. I want to cruise during winter without having to go to Asia to do it.

Tiny260 yes the cruises for 2020 will open up in March. They should go through to around March 2020 but I suspect if there are any changes to the ship locations it would not be until the end of 2020 which may mean there will be no new news until March 2019.

i know Spectrum is scheduled to go to Asia when it is built to replace Ovation. People seem to assume it will also come to Australia and New Zealand but I don’t recall anything that specifically states this will be the case.

For me personally I would love to see a Freedom class ship here as I really enjoy the Voyager class and those are just a bigger version of them.

4 hours ago, F1guynz said:

Tiny260 yes the cruises for 2020 will open up in March. They should go through to around March 2020 but I suspect if there are any changes to the ship locations it would not be until the end of 2020 which may mean there will be no new news until March 2019.

i know Spectrum is scheduled to go to Asia when it is built to replace Ovation. People seem to assume it will also come to Australia and New Zealand but I don’t recall anything that specifically states this will be the case.

For me personally I would love to see a Freedom class ship here as I really enjoy the Voyager class and those are just a bigger version of them.

Pretty much every press release for Spectrum states it's being designed for the Asia/Pacific region.

• 3 weeks later...

Matt recently said that Australia/Pacific announcements will be announced the week of April 9th. I check every day because I am wanting to book for Feb/Mar 2020. I hope they are released sooner like you say!

I have been researching and looking every day for the announcements for Ovation to return because I already know which cabin I am aiming for. If there is another ship that goes instead of Ovation I will have to do some quick research!

From what the info about spectrum they said Asia and pacific , and last time we saw Australia is part of the pacific .will just have to wait and see . I think ovation will be replacing explorer and explorer will be coming from Asia  and radiance will stay the same . But will wait what happen in April my