Snorkeling in Bonaire excursions - full masks?

UltraV21

We are looking at RC shore excursions and Shore Excursions Group for snorkeling trips. Does anyone know if either offers full face snorkel masks like this? https://www.amazon.com/180°-snorkel-black-L-XL/dp/B07539DJK2/ref=sr_1_12?s=sporting-goods&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1517934714&sr=1-12&keywords=snorkel%2Bmask&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011&th=1&psc=1

I've been thinking of ordering one. I've been snorkeling before but the crappy rental mask I had at the time practically ruined it for me. I'm taking a trip with some older family members so looking for an excursion that is on the easier side while still seeing lots of fish! 

26 minutes ago, UltraV21 said:

We are looking at RC shore excursions and Shore Excursions Group for snorkeling trips. Does anyone know if either offers full face snorkel masks like this? https://www.amazon.com/180°-snorkel-black-L-XL/dp/B07539DJK2/ref=sr_1_12?s=sporting-goods&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1517934714&sr=1-12&keywords=snorkel%2Bmask&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011&th=1&psc=1

I've been thinking of ordering one. I've been snorkeling before but the crappy rental mask I had at the time practically ruined it for me. I'm taking a trip with some older family members so looking for an excursion that is on the easier side while still seeing lots of fish! 

I don't know about Bonaire, but I know here these things are new and I haven't even seen them in the stores yet. If you want this type of mask I would highly recommend getting it now. Otherwise, you might be disappointed at the excursion.

Not to be too much of an alarmist but a SCUBA diving Hawaiian poster on another (non-related) forum that I frequent advises strongly against the full face snorkel masks.  He posted this link and has this to say.

“Unprecedented Spike in Ocean Drowning Incidents,” 9 Deaths in 13 Days January 29, 2018

What the deal with the full mask? It looked promising.

The build up of carbon dioxide inside mask that can lead to blackout.

When using traditional 2 piece, newer snorkel designs (dry and semi-dry) create too much breathing resistance due to the stopper unlike the old J type purge style which I suspect is what does these guys in. Rare occasions I go to resorts where tourist are to dive and the breathing noise and rhythm coming out their snorkels is insane. Relax and breathe through snorkel like you do the air on land and you'll be fine.

Also keeping a snorkel in your mouth when diving is a recipe for a lung full of water. If you pass out, your tongue can't stop the water from entering.

What do you recommend that's light weight to fit in my carry on?

Cressi, Mares, ScubaPro, Oceanic, Omer and Riffe, in order of cost lowest to highest. 

I'd recommend a full foot fin that wears like a shoe. If you're going to go out there a long time, get some fin socks so you don't wear the skin on top of your foot raw. Avoid the heel strap style unless in shallow water so it will be easy to retrieve if it falls off.

I prefer all black color for all my gear so as to not attract sharks. Colors, especially those that create contrast raises the odds you'll have an encounter.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I saw your post and wanted to respond to you regarding snorkeling in Bonaire.  Please, please, please, book your excursion through Woodwind Bonaire.  It was and always will be the best snorkeling I've ever done, and I've snorkeled around the world, including the Great Barrier Reef.  Dee and Ulf will meet every single one of your needs and you can correspond with them in advance to let them know what type of equipment you would like.  On board, they carry multiple types of flotation devices (for novices to more experienced snorkelers) including noodles, paddle boards, full flotation vests, and even weighted vests; multiple types of masks, including those with prescription lenses and also masks that allow you to place over your own glasses; multiple types of flippers, etc.  Dee will take the best care of you.  Her hospitality is unmatched in the Caribbean! She offers about a dozen different beverages and your lunch is so delicious I wish I could have taken it back on the ship. BUT the fish, the turtles, the coral, and her knowledge of every single thing floating in that gorgeous water is what will make this trip unforgettable.  (http://www.woodwindbonaire.com)

If you have any other questions, let me know!
Thank you!

• 4 months later...

For anyone looking to use full face snorkels, they are definitely not as good as real snorkels. The main issue I have had with them is that they restrict airflow and its hard to get fresh air as it recycles some of the stale air in the mask. I strongly recommend passing on a full face snorkel as you will not be able to five deep and they are not as good as they seem.