Sorrentos Pizza

Joe B

At midnight after exercising a drink package it's pretty good!

Pizza, or any food is very subjective.  Some people like a thick crust, some people like a thin crust.  No pizza on any ship is going to satisfy pizza connoisseurs everywhere.

It's better than Costco pizza, but that too is an opinion.  Someone else may love Costco pizza.

Here you go: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5223-sorrentos-pizza/

Four pages and counting discussion without a real good consensus.  Though I think somewhere in the middle it turns in to an argument about which region has better food and how many Molsons a person can safely drink?  I'm not entirely sure, but either way I know I will try Sorrento's myself and see.  The pizza on DCL wasn't all that great either, but boy it sure hit the spot after a tequila/margarita tasting session.  That and a cup full of sliced pickles.

8 minutes ago, NS8VN said:

Here you go: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5223-sorrentos-pizza/

Four pages and counting discussion without a real good consensus.  Though I think somewhere in the middle it turns in to an argument about which region has better food and how many Molsons a person can safely drink?  I'm not entirely sure, but either way I know I will try Sorrento's myself and see.  The pizza on DCL wasn't all that great either, but boy it sure hit the spot after a tequila/margarita tasting session.  That and a cup full of sliced pickles.

And here I was looking forward to reliving that thread.

Sorrentos to me is like a bad frozen pizza, and honestly I am surprised RC has not upgraded it yet, since it is a pretty universal complaint.  Even my 10 and 8 year old don't like it, so that is saying something.  Outside of eating it after your very last drink of the night, it is not good for much else.  They should partner with DiGiorno or something, because that is 10 times better than Sorrentos.  

Now I wonder how the Gluten Free version tastes. I am not supposed to eat Gluten (Sometimes cake tempts me and I suffer the consequences later but 90% of the time its worth it lol.) I can tell you even Dominos (we don't have many options here for pizza places) GF crust is best described as cardboard lol, even the frozen stuff so I am personally hoping they are a step up from that or at least the same. 

My two cents -  pizza is one of my favorite foods in life. I'm surrounded my good pizza - I live on Long Island, work in NYC - pizza from the surrounding areas is just good and there is a pizza place practically in every shopping center.  I know and love the good stuff but DiGiorno's is fun sometimes. Sorrentos - when I had  it was fine.

I'll put it this way - my mother made the best meatballs in the world. No one comes close...but will I eat frozen questionable meat meatballs? Sure they're meatballs!!! I think I only get super picky with sushi - 'cause tapeworms....

18 hours ago, twangster said:

It's better than Costco pizza

How DARE you!  :15_yum:

I'm actually going to try Sorrentos again when I'm on the Allure next month.  For science.  I cannot fathom how anyone could find what I had on the Majesty remotely decent, no matter how much the drink package has been utilized.  I'm really curious if it's any better on other ships.

We sailed on Allure last month and I thought the pizza was much better than it was last July.  Previously, it seemed to me that it was overloaded with fake cheese and was just awful.  Now though, there aren't the choices there were and I didn't see any of the individual pizzas any longer, but they tasted like real Mozzarella and were far better.

Additionally, this time there were salads one day and sandwiches another day.  Those weren't available last year either.

Anytime there is unlimited free pizza 24 hours a day there is a pretty good chance it's gonna be closer to Little Ceasar's than Grimaldi's, but they're both just bread with cheese on top.

I personally think pre-oasis class ships are lacking quality quick-serve food options, but I don't think the pizza quality is the issue. I think you'll find the pizza at Sorrento's to be sufficient, if not good.

Had a few slices on our Christmas cruise on Majesty of the Seas, and even though the cruise was great the pizza actually was not that great.  Hard to explain but it was if the crust was brushed with something greasy before the sauce went on, it almost made the pizza inedible.  I have had it on other ships and it was pretty good!  I did not expect a great experience from it, but I would have taken a cheap frozen pizza easily over what we had!  From my own personal experience it varies from ship to ship, every time I was on an Oasis class ship it was MUCH better than what we had.  

2 hours ago, hayley_bopp said:

I really enjoyed the pizza from Cafe Promenade a couple of years ago on Navigator- averaging 2 slices per day. I'm looking forward to trying Sorrento's on Independence later tks year (148 days and counting) purely in the name of research. 

I see that like being sentenced to community service, forced to eat bad pizza? ?

Overall rating is poor, and yet I get a slice (or two) every night on the way to the cabin. My biggest irritation is that it can be very different from night to night, always poor, but very different. As an example one night it can have a very thin cracker type crust and others it will be more thick and floppy. I get that they may pull pies out prematurely due to customer demand , but given that is all they do, one might think they could do it consistently! 

Just now, rjac said:

Nope!!! Kummelwecks.....:27_sunglasses:

As a vegetarian, I have never had a kummelweck (and likely never will), and appreciate the availability of cheese pizza around 1 am. :4_joy:

Actually, on Liberty of the Seas I once saw Potato Pizza. Slices of potato on top of pizza. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just thought I would share some insight on the gluten-free pizza. I actually really enjoyed it and so did Sandra. Was it the best pizza I have ever had..no (oh how I miss Gluten lol). Was it the best Gluten-free absolutely lol, well long as the toppings stayed on had a few times they all fell off. I can definitely tell you it is nowhere near healthy for you with all that grease lol.