More first timer questions

jagbirder

Our first ever cruise leaves in less than 3 weeks, so we're starting our countdown at home!  We have signed in, and printed our Set Sail pass.  Am I correct in assuming that since both of our names are listed, we only need one copy?  And is this the only document we need for boarding the ship, or will other paperwork come our way in the near future?  I've printed our luggage tags already.

I've also looked in the Cruise Planner and My Cruises, and see no mention of an emergency contact number for Royal Caribbean in the off chance that family needs to get in touch with us.  The cell phone will go into Airplane Mode probably before we leave the dock; I'm not real sure what we would do about responding to an emergency call, but I'm sure my family will be upset if we don't provide a number of some sort.

Thanks for your help!  I have learned so much from these forum pages!

If the one Set Sail Pass has both your names, then you should be good. I had asked a similar question a couple of weeks ago and confirmed that's how it is on some ships, while other ships will give each passenger their own Set Sail Pass. Main thing with having one pass with everyone's names on it, is that you can't board until your whole party is together.

You'll also need a valid form of government ID in addition to the Set Sail Pass -- a passport is highly recommended (either the card or a full book; latter will let you fly out of the port if you have the misfortune to miss your ship or have an emergency requiring you to get home ASAP), but in the US you can also get by with a driver's license and official copy of your birth certificate. The exact document you will use is something you should have indicated while completing your online documentation forms in order to print the Set Sail Pass. Don't bring something different than what you said you'd be using.

As for emergency contact, have you purchased a wifi package? If you have, and you own a current smartphone, you should be able to set up wifi calling on your phone. That will allow you to make and receive phone calls over the ship's wifi, even when the phone is in airplane mode with wifi enabled.

Often the ship contact information can be found on the Cruise Compass, on a port day.  Not sure what ship you are sailing but you can look over past cruise compasses here:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compass

Find your ship and then go through a recent one looking for a day in port.  Often you'll see something like this from a recent Freedom of the Seas sailing:

Freedom Contact Info-1.jpg

Note the ship telephone number and the Royal Caribbean HQ office number at the bottom.  Ship telephone in your cabin is very expensive to call home or accept a call from home.  

If someone needs to reach you they can call the ship from a regular phone:

Calls made from land to your Royal Caribbean cruise (shore to ship) can be achieved by calling (888) 724-7447/(321) 953-9003 to reach passengers.  The cost of this service is $7.95 per minute, and is chargeable to a Visa or MasterCard credit card.

This is from https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/07/27/how-stay-touch-someone-your-royal-caribbean-cruise where you can find information about staying in touch.

As far as the set sail pass, yes, if all names are listed you're good to go.  Honestly, the set sail pass is more of a time saver than a necessity.  You want it if you can print it, but it's not as if you'd be unable to board if you didn't have it with you.  Now, your ID (passport, birth certificate, birth certificate, etc) - that stuff is essential.

If you have a cell phone, it's best to turn off data roaming and use that as an emergency contact number. My father-in-law didn't have much luck with the emergency call number on another line, but was able to reach us by text. Most ships have cellular coverage while at sea and texting is relatively cheap (free to $.50) and calls are in the $2-4 range per minute. Just make sure that you turn off data so that it solely works as a phone. 

Agree with above that getting Voom for one device and setting up a phone for wifi calling will be the fastest way for someone to reach you in an emergency, and potentially cheapest if it involves more than a couple minutes of call time.  While giving them the ship number as a backup is a good idea, if you want to be easily reached (such as leaving children in the care of others while you are gone) having a cell phone on you is a convenience that doesn't have to stop when you leave shore.  Especially with RCCL's reasonable internet packages (when compared to other lines that charge by minute or MB).

If you will be using a certified birth certificate as your ID and your married name is different than what's on the birth certificate you must have the paperwork that shows a legal name change.   That means you need to get with the clerks office at the courthouse and get a certified marriage document to show the name change.   The names on the ships manifest must match the IDs you will be using........Have fun