packing wine

bkirkham

We will be flying to Galveston for our October sailing on the Navigator of the Seas. Does anyone have any experience with packing wine? I would like to bring the allowed 2 bottles, with one being a Prosecco (a dry sparkling dry white wine). Is it safe to pack these items in checked luggage wiht the change in air pressure? Last thing I would like is to have a bottle explode in flight and soak my clothes.

If you do want to check wine in your suitcase, I'd suggest looking into "wine diapers". I've not used them myself, but I've heard really good things about them. I see that Amazon sells them if you want to find some online.

Thanks Marc. I found them on amazon for 2 for $10, with prime shipping

If you decide to purchase your wine in Galveston, I would suggest Spec's, "Texas' Superstore" for wine, beer, liquor, etc. They have a huge selection of wine and give a discount for using cash or debit card. It's about four miles from the cruise terminal.

Spec's

2711 61st St

Galveston, TX 77551

(409) 744-6327

If you decide to purchase your wine in Galveston, I would suggest Spec's, "Texas' Superstore" for wine, beer, liquor, etc. They have a huge selection of wine and give a discount for using cash or debit card. It's about four miles from the cruise terminal.

Spec's

2711 61st St

Galveston, TX 77551

(409) 744-6327

Great recommendation. I had purchased my wine at the Wal Mart in Galveston but I'm sure a real liquor store will have a better selection

Note that Texas may be one of many states that restricts sale of alcohol on Sundays. I believe you can be served alcohol in restaurants, but sale of alcohol (e.g., at liquor stores) may be restricted. Therefore, if your cruise leaves on a Sunday, don't plan on picking it up on the way to the port; purchase it the night before.

Note that Texas may be one of many states that restricts sale of alcohol on Sundays. I believe you can be served alcohol in restaurants, but sale of alcohol (e.g., at liquor stores) may be restricted. Therefore, if your cruise leaves on a Sunday, don't plan on picking it up on the way to the port; purchase it the night before.

Good point! Spec's is closed on Sunday, but grocery stores sell beer and wine on Sundays beginning at Noon. I always arrive at least one day early for a cruise so I didn't think about this. If you fly in on Sunday it could be problematic to shop for wine on your way to the port.

Living in Italy, I myself have packed wine in my checked baggage to fly back home many times. We had some visitors this summer that bought about 12 bottles and spread them out in 2 checked hiking style backpacks and I am happy to say that ALL wine has made it back to the states intact. If you wrap it well enough ( i usually roll it in some jeans) you shouldnt have a problem.