From Port Canaveral to Universal Studio Hotels

Breezy_D

HI everyone....  I'm so new to this forum and blogging so please forgive me if I'm doing anything wrong.

My family and I are cruising the Oasis of the Seas in August 2018 and wanted to spend some time in Universal Studios after our cruise. Does anyone know how  we should go about getting from Port Canaveral to the hotels in the Universal Studio's area? I've spoken to the hotels there and they only offer shuttles to and from the airport. I think it's a waste of time to go from the port, to the airport, to catch a shuttle from the airport to the hotel. I've checked goportcanaveral.com website, but only see one way and round trips to and from the port to the airport.I'm not a cheap skate but not trying to pay for a limousine either! Lol  Someone please shed some light on this for me.

Welcome to the message boards!

Two options come to mind.

1) Rent a car.  

2) Ride share like Uber or Lyft.

How many people?  I'd seriously look at a car rental.  Go at you own pace, stop and buy a case a water or snacks for the hotel room, drop car off near hotel.  Some larger hotels even car rental agencies right at the hotel.  

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

Welcome to the message boards!

Two options come to mind.

1) Rent a car.  

2) Ride share like Uber or Lyft.

How many people?  I'd seriously look at a car rental.  Go at you own pace, stop and buy a case a water or snacks for the hotel room, drop car off near hotel.  Some larger hotels even car rental agencies right at the hotel.  

Thanks.....it will just be 3 of us. Uber sounds like a great idea! Just didn't know if Uber offered rides that far. From what I understand, it's like a 50 plus minute ride along with tolls. I'll definitely check it out!

On 2/3/2018 at 2:09 PM, Breezy_D said:

Thanks.....it will just be 3 of us. Uber sounds like a great idea! Just didn't know if Uber offered rides that far. From what I understand, it's like a 50 plus minute ride along with tolls. I'll definitely check it out!

Correct me if I'm wrong ---- I don't think you'll have any tolls ..... All the ones on FL 528 (Beach Line) have been removed, and there aren't any on I-4 ..... so, unless you plan on getting on 417, you should be ok.

On 2/3/2018 at 2:09 PM, Breezy_D said:

One thing to keep in mind, whether you use Uber or Lyft -- If you have the typical suitcase and carry on for each person, you will need to use the "XL" option that provides a mini-van, van, or SUV. The regular service is specifically described as not being a large enough car to store any significant amount of luggage. There's a premium for "XL", but nothing unreasonable; about $20 extra with Lyft when I priced a ride from FLL to our hotel a few miles away.

23 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

Correct me if I'm wrong ---- I don't think you'll have any tolls ..... All the ones on FL 528 (Beach Line) have been removed, and there aren't any on I-4 ..... so, unless you plan on getting on 417, you should be ok.

Thanks....the less the better. I wasn't sure.

24 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

There are definitely still a few tolls on 528.  They removed the toll plaza in front of the airport, but there's still another 2 or 3 plazas on the highway (and they are adding one eventually to International Drive exit).

21 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

One thing to keep in mind, whether you use Uber or Lyft -- If you have the typical suitcase and carry on for each person, you will need to use the "XL" option that provides a mini-van, van, or SUV. The regular service is specifically described as not being a large enough car to store any significant amount of luggage. There's a premium for "XL", but nothing unreasonable; about $20 extra with Lyft when I priced a ride from FLL to our hotel a few miles away.

I'm glad you mentioned that! Thanks a lot for your input!

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

There are definitely still a few tolls on 528.  They removed the toll plaza in front of the airport, but there's still another 2 or 3 plazas on the highway (and they are adding one eventually to International Drive exit).

Thanks Matt..... I couldn't remember .... I knew some were gone.

2 minutes ago, Breezy_D said:

Ok.....so there are tolls. Hopefully I can just pay them directly to the Uber driver. Either way, I think it will be better than unreliable transportation.

Uber will take care of it for you and include it as part of your fare. https://help.uber.com/h/776390a5-b197-412a-98c4-011c85799dc1

This was years ago, but in 2011, we did the same thing. We cruised out of Port Canaveral, then spent 2 nights at Universal Studios. There was no Uber or Lyft at the time, so we got a car service (Ace Luxury Transport). They have what they call a 3-Way Land and Sea package (https://www.aceluxury.com/services/3-way-land-sea-packages/), which gets you from airport to cruise to hotel and back to airport for one package price. It was by far the best decision I made when booking that.

1 hour ago, ctlyf said:

This was years ago, but in 2011, we did the same thing. We cruised out of Port Canaveral, then spent 2 nights at Universal Studios. There was no Uber or Lyft at the time, so we got a car service (Ace Luxury Transport). They have what they call a 3-Way Land and Sea package (https://www.aceluxury.com/services/3-way-land-sea-packages/), which gets you from airport to cruise to hotel and back to airport for one package price. It was by far the best decision I made when booking that.

Oh wow! This sounds great! One stop shopping for everything. I'm definitely gonna look in this. I figured we couldn't be the only family to wanna do this. Thanks so much Ctlyf!