Lyft from Houston to Galveston port

Dinabug38

31 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

If that's the Lyft/uber cost, I don't want to even think what a cab would be!!!!

I didn't realize it was that far or expensive to get to the port in Glaveston...good to know!

Unfortunately it is.  I sailed from Galveston in 2015 and it's probably the least convenient fly-in cruise port in the country.  Great if you live in lower TX, not so great for the rest of us.

I'm also on that 2/25 Liberty cruise but I'm flying into Hobby airport (HOU) on the South side of Houston.  Bush airport (IAH) is on the North side of Houston.   Houston traffic can be a real pain.  For a while Galveston banned Uber/Lyft like back in 2015 when I last sailed from there.  Thankfully that has changed.

If there were any plans to move Liberty to another port I would have waited but cruise fares out of Galveston are often cheap - because it has become known for being inconvenient, except for locals.   

54 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

yeah I always see some good deals on Liberty out of there...and would love to sail liberty.....but expensive to get to port and its also much more expensive to fly to Houston than Florida(from the east coast anyways) so it makes it not really an option.

This is always the case for me too.  It seems like there is no convenient airport to really fly to or it seems like getting to the port is always such a pain.  I am waiting to read @twangster's experience in a few weeks (I'm assuming he's doing a blog lol) to see how that all works out. 

I'm flying to Galveston on the 10th and using the Galveston Limo.  Last time I cruised out of Galveston I used the Royal Caribbean bus transfer and it was very expensive and you had to wait a long time for the bus to fill up for it to leave. I flew into Bush Intercontinental both times, I did not deal with any traffic last time but I have heard that it can be unpredictable. I would think Uber or Lyft are both reliable services and a good option for a small group as they are cheaper than the Royal Caribbean Shuttle and you can pick your departure time. 

This time, I chose Galveston Limo because we have a large group and a private shuttle was the cheapest option for us  ($25 per person, per way) 

I will ask around on the cruise for people that used Lyft or Uber and report back!

• 1 year later...
On 2/2/2018 at 9:40 AM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

This is always the case for me too.  It seems like there is no convenient airport to really fly to or it seems like getting to the port is always such a pain.  I am waiting to read @twangster's experience in a few weeks (I'm assuming he's doing a blog lol) to see how that all works out. 

I'm sailing Liberty the week before 2/16-2/23. I will report back on what we end up doing as well (considering a live blog, though I know it wont compare to yours or @twangster). We are debating uber/lyft vs some of the limo companies etc. We are a family of 4 with a 6 and 10y/o, and a wife who likes to overpack.

I have been tracking Uber prices on their app for Sunday mornings leaving around 8:30 for Liberty from a motel w/in 2 mile of Bush International.  an Uber X up to 4 people is right around $60  and the XL 6 people is $145.  That's a far cry from the $80 to $110 posted here for an Uber X around 5 months ago. 

As @twangster points out Houston traffic can be completely unmanageable sometimes, depending on the time of day it could be a 1.5 to 2 hour drive from IAH to Galveston and an hour from Hobby. IAH is on the complete north side of Houston.

This is definitely a port that I would fly to the day before, maybe take an uber/lyft to a nice hotel in Houston the day before and then get up early the day of uber/lyft to the port.

I always drive to Galveston, this is my one drivable cruise port and I always allow 2 hours to get through traffic in Houston proper and that is with no bathroom breaks. 

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I just booked a limo to pick us up from HOU, take us to the hotel in Galveston, pick us up at the pier and return us to HOU for $105 each way.  I think this is a reasonable compromise on price vs convenience.

What limo company did you use?

Flying into HOU and sailing out of Galveston is no different than flying into MCO and sailing out of Port Canaveral. It's an hour from each airport to each port. If you fly into HOU, don't stay near the airport as it is not the greatest part of town. I suggest staying in the Clear Lake/Webster area if you aren't going all the way to Galveston the night before. I would not fly into IAH unless it was necessary as those who have mentioned the traffic and distance are correct. I live on the far east side of Houston and I can drive west for an hour with no traffic and still be in Houston. The city is very spread out on top of the fact that it is the 4th largest city in the country. 

12 hours ago, emsff02 said:

What limo company did you use?

The company is ZLimousine but I can only give you the price info.  I cannot vouch for the service since we haven’t used them yet. Keeping my fingers crossed that the service is worth the small additional cost over using Uber or Lyft.  I don’t mind using Uber for short trips but prefer something a little more “substantial “ for a longer trip like this.  Also remember that this is from HOU, not IAH.

43 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

The company is ZLimousine but I can only give you the price info.  I cannot vouch for the service since we haven’t used them yet. Keeping my fingers crossed that the service is worth the small additional cost over using Uber or Lyft.  I don’t mind using Uber for short trips but prefer something a little more “substantial “ for a longer trip like this.  Also remember that this is from HOU, not IAH.

Thanks for the info! We will be flying in to Hobby as well. We will need something more substantial too. With the 4 of us and luggage, a standard Uber won’t cut it. It will also be nice knowing that on disembarkation our ride will be there and waiting for the ride back to the airport.

Last year we used Galveston Express Shuttle service.  It was nice and reliable.  We flew into Hobby the night before and stayed at an airport hotel with free airport shuttle.  In the morning, we used the airport shuttle back to Hobby and Galveston Express took us from there.  Our return flight was out of IAH and Galveston Express took us from port to airport.

4 hours ago, emsff02 said:

Thanks for the info! We will be flying in to Hobby as well. We will need something more substantial too. With the 4 of us and luggage, a standard Uber won’t cut it. It will also be nice knowing that on disembarkation our ride will be there and waiting for the ride back to the airport.

Be aware that the price might be higher for 4 of you than it was for the 2 of us.  That would probably be b/c you are unlikely to be able to use the Town Car option, which is what we have. This link will take you to their "free quote" site.  They have a number of different options.  Hopefully one of them will work for you.

https://houston-airport-town-car.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgpi3pYvT4wIVhZ-fCh3HigncEAAYASAAEgLOLfD_BwE