book solo then add, book double occ then subtract, or book then change passengers?

Hi Guys,

I think Matt has mentioned a few times that its not a big deal to change a passenger to another...just a few questions:

1. Up till when can you generally change out the passenger(s)? Is it by final payment? or pretty much right before going like when you can book on Cruise Planner? 

If I do not know yet if I will be travelling solo or WHO I would be bringing if I was to bring someone:

2. I know for Royal its pretty much paying the fare for double occupancy even if you're travelling solo unless you luck out with getting one of the studios.. I am wondering what strategy would be best?

- Is it best to just book solo then add another passenger later on if someone decides to come along? 

OR

- Delete a passenger from a double occupancy booking and travel solo?

Thanks in advance for your responses,

Thea

18 minutes ago, TheaFromCDA said:

- Is it best to just book solo then add another passenger later on if someone decides to come along? 

I think it's best to put down two people on the reservation and change the name later. If you decide to go solo, leave reservation as-is and show up solo. You still get the double points (I did this on Harmony in 2016).

Just now, Matt said:

I think it's best to put down two people on the reservation and change the name later. If you decide to go solo, leave reservation as-is and show up solo. You still get the double points (I did this on Harmony in 2016).

Thanks Matt...

if I do the leaving the reservation as is but travelling solo, will I still have to pay the gratuities for the second "passenger" even if there isn't one? 

2 minutes ago, TheaFromCDA said:

if I do the leaving the reservation as is but travelling solo, will I still have to pay the gratuities for the second "passenger" even if there isn't one?

If you pre-pay, yes.  I would imagine no if you show up without second person and take daily auto gratuity. Of course, you can always go to Guest Services and have it removed for the phantom person without any issue.

Just now, Matt said:

If you pre-pay, yes.  I would imagine no if you show up without second person and take daily auto gratuity. Of course, you can always go to Guest Services and have it removed for the phantom person without any issue.

thats good to know! I wasn't sure if I didn't notify them of travelling solo, if they'd say I'd have to pay for the 2nd "person". 

On a related note...

How hard would it be to ADD a 3rd person to a booking (so long as the stateroom type allows for more than 2 people)?  Not sure if you CAN do that (especially if it is before final payment due date... and there's an offer of 3rd passenger free type deal)?

OR if I wait for one of those deals are up, booking three people, then deleting (or leaving booking as is and adjusting at guest service the actual number of passengers)

(Sorry for the add on... Had my first taste of cruising on Harmony December 2017 ...and now I want to go on more... aiming for 2 or 3 cruises in 2018 :7_sweat_smile:)

3 minutes ago, TheaFromCDA said:

How hard would it be to ADD a 3rd person to a booking (so long as the stateroom type allows for more than 2 people)?  Not sure if you CAN do that (especially if it is before final payment due date... and there's an offer of 3rd passenger free type deal)?

OR if I wait for one of those deals are up, booking three people, then deleting (or leaving booking as is and adjusting at guest service the actual number of passengers)

Adding a person to the reservation, thus increasing amount of people in the room, can cause issues, primarily with price.  First, some rooms that are booked for two cannot handle more than 3 people. Second, adding a person like this will require a reprice, so it's as if you booked the cruise today instead of whenever you booked it in the past.  Thus, likely a price increase.  If you want to spend more money, RC usually looks the other way if it's after final payment date.

I cruise solo often.  Some thoughts...

With Royal's emphasis on Non Refundable Deposit you need to keep in mind how that impacts options.

With NRD you pay double deposit for booking two.  If you change to solo before final payment you lose one deposit.  If the intention is to go solo but you book an NRD cabin for two, you are better to the pay taxes and fees for both at final payment, show up at the terminal solo and eventually get one tax and fee portion refunded.  If that is your intention you are better not to pre-pay gratuity and let it roll onto your on-board account.

Solo cabins are not 1/2 the price of a regular cabin paying for two.  More like 3/4 of the price.

For example, looking into 2019 where solo cabins are available:

NRD solo Studio interior guarantee - $1,543.92 all in

NRD solo Interior Virtual Balcony - $2,018.92 all in

In this case the solo Studio Interior is 76% of the cost of a regular Interior cabin meant for two but you get double C&A points for the Interior cabin plus it's bigger.  Studio Interior are tiny cabins, much smaller than regular Interior cabins.

Same cruise in a balcony:

NRD solo Studio Balcony - $2,608.92 all in

NRD Obstructed Balcony - $3,447.92 all in

Studio Balcony is 76% of the cost of going solo in a regular cabin meant for two. Some Studio balcony cabins are obstructed even though they don't offer this at booking.

Adding people later is a gamble because it re-prices the cabin at then current rates.  

I have cruised solo after booking two both by a turn of events and by on purpose.  With the exception of refundable fares you are almost always better to show up and report your plus one missed their flight, is stuck on the other side of world, or some other excuse.  You'll eventually automatically get their port fees and taxes refunded.

Besides what Matt said about repricing, another issue of adding a person to your reservations (whether 2nd or 3rd) is lifeboat capacity.  While your room could potentially hold 3 or 4  passengers, if your lifeboat station is at capacity, you won't be allowed to add another person.  This realistically only happens during really popular times like school breaks.

I almost always think it is best to book early and try to reprice during a sale rather than waiting for a "sale" to book.  You have better choices for cabins and placement and typically the prices keep going up the longer you wait.  

Thanks for the feedback guys! lots of stuff to think about! and I have to re-read Twangster's breakdown again... I thought Id just basically be paying the fare for two people if travelling solo so 1.75 is better than 2 fares...

Unsure if I will be going the Non-Refundable Deposit route but that info is good to know...I didn't realize you could get refunds after final payment.... I thought as soon as final payment is done, you can spend MORE but not get refunds after the 90 day cutoff. 

I definitely see the merit of booking early and trying to re-price... which kind of creates my conundrum that most of my friends and my significant other cannot plan that far out in advance. My job is fairly good and I can normally chart out far in advance vacations but since none of the people I can travel with can do the same. 

I do want to book early...but didn't know which route (passenger number wise) to try and get.

My preference is to to travel with friends to get them hooked on cruising too... but im open to travelling solo... unfortunately, RCL seems to have less "solo" focus than say NCL. 

Those offers of pre-paid gratuities  included by some travel agents as a perk...would that impact which option would be best to do? 

If it were me, I'd book with 2 people since changing names is easy enough and if person #2 doesnt show, no big deal.  It seems to be the simplest approach, anyway.

If you are considering the 3rd person, that is dicier and you might just be better off waiting to book just because paying for 2 phantom people isn't practical.

My son and his girlfriend were supposed to go on our upcoming cruise with us.  They (or rather I booked for them) a balcony stateroom NRD. It all fell apart, first, they broke up, which was going to cost $100 to change the name on the reservation but then my son's job scheduled a conference cruise week, so we had to cancel the whole thing. We lost $100 per person of the deposit and now he and his former girlfriend each have a $150 future cruise credit. My gift to them was to pay the first $500, including the deposit, which leaves me out $500. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

If it were me, I'd book with 2 people since changing names is easy enough and if person #2 doesnt show, no big deal.  It seems to be the simplest approach, anyway.

If you are considering the 3rd person, that is dicier and you might just be better off waiting to book just because paying for 2 phantom people isn't practical.

Ill take your recommendation and book for two. Another question... would you recommend I book one (in advance), then go book next cruise (though I know its not as good as the promos before)... or just book everything in advance now?

With regards to changing of names...is that considered a "change" that will incur that $100 charge if I was to book non-refundable?

2 minutes ago, Lauren said:

My son and his girlfriend were supposed to go on our upcoming cruise with us.  They (or rather I booked for them) a balcony stateroom NRD. It all fell apart, first, they broke up, which was going to cost $100 to change the name on the reservation but then my son's job scheduled a conference cruise week, so we had to cancel the whole thing. We lost $100 per person of the deposit and now he and his former girlfriend each have a $150 future cruise credit. My gift to them was to pay the first $500, including the deposit, which leaves me out $500. 

Im so sorry to hear about you taking the loss financially and for their breakup.

I think I am reading that you'd like to take 2 cruises. Sorry if I'm reading this wrong.  If it were me, I'd try to book that solo cruise hopefully in a solo cabin with a non refundable deposit.  For the cruise with friends, I'd book a cruise with a refundable deposit.  Hopefully your plans could be finalized by final payment which is 90 days in advance.  It may cost a bit more (you should figure out the price difference) but it may be worth the peace of mind to have flexibility.  Of course that friend could still be a no show if nothing worked out and you go on another solo cruise. 

19 minutes ago, melski94 said:

I think I am reading that you'd like to take 2 cruises. Sorry if I'm reading this wrong.  If it were me, I'd try to book that solo cruise hopefully in a solo cabin with a non refundable deposit.  For the cruise with friends, I'd book a cruise with a refundable deposit.  Hopefully your plans could be finalized by final payment which is 90 days in advance.  It may cost a bit more (you should figure out the price difference) but it may be worth the peace of mind to have flexibility.  Of course that friend could still be a no show if nothing worked out and you go on another solo cruise. 

yup you read it correctly! 

Ideally Id go one one with my SO, one with friends... and the other im fairly ok going by myself or others so that would be 3 but might get downgraded to just 2 :S

2 hours ago, TheaFromCDA said:

Unsure if I will be going the Non-Refundable Deposit route but that info is good to know...I didn't realize you could get refunds after final payment.... I thought as soon as final payment is done, you can spend MORE but not get refunds after the 90 day cutoff. 

I was referring to removing a person before final payment is made,  With an NRD even before final payment, if you remove that person, you lose their deposit. 

Typical deposit these days is $250.  If you book an NRD for two people you pay $500 deposit upon booking.  Before final payment if you cancel one person you forfeit their $250 deposit.  That's the NON part of non-refundable.  

After final payment payment there is a sliding scale for any cancellation.  After final payment refundable or non-refundable bookings are equal because after all, you have made your final payment either way.   

1 hour ago, TheaFromCDA said:

Ill take your recommendation and book for two. Another question... would you recommend I book one (in advance), then go book next cruise (though I know its not as good as the promos before)... or just book everything in advance now?

This is tricky. I pre-booked my 2019 cruise on sale. I bought my March cruise 90 days out on sale. I also bought my 2016 cruise 90 days out. Would you know more by 90 days out? If the same probability then maybe book on the next sale.

My two cents - I booked almost 11 months out - I'm sorta nuts and constantly check the site and not one time has it been less than when I originally booked. I booked a solo studio and it's $400 more now than when booked. I know there are great deals on ships sometimes but maybe since I'm on Harmony I've missed out.

3 hours ago, twangster said:

I was referring to removing a person before final payment is made,  With an NRD even before final payment, if you remove that person, you lose their deposit. 

Typical deposit these days is $250.  If you book an NRD for two people you pay $500 deposit upon booking.  Before final payment if you cancel one person you forfeit their $250 deposit.  That's the NON part of non-refundable.  

After final payment payment there is a sliding scale for any cancellation.  After final payment refundable or non-refundable bookings are equal because after all, you have made your final payment either way.   

Weird... I thought that the deposit was 50% of your total cruise cost? Ie... if the cruise cost 1500... you had to put down $750 right away?

2 hours ago, LetsTryThisTech said:

This is tricky. I pre-booked my 2019 cruise on sale. I bought my March cruise 90 days out on sale. I also bought my 2016 cruise 90 days out. Would you know more by 90 days out? If the same probability then maybe book on the next sale.

Sadly my friends can pretty much only plan anything 2 to 4 weeks out. Significant other would also not be able to know his work schedule 90 days out so Id be committed pretty much with whatever option I elect for. 

2 hours ago, ellcee said:

My two cents - I booked almost 11 months out - I'm sorta nuts and constantly check the site and not one time has it been less than when I originally booked. I booked a solo studio and it's $400 more now than when booked. I know there are great deals on ships sometimes but maybe since I'm on Harmony I've missed out.

Ok...maybe I am being extra dense but is there any way to filter by STATEROOM first (Rather than picking ship/date/etc) to narrow down what cruise options a solo traveller may have?

I know studio rooms may not necessarily be cheaper (based on blogs, CC, etc) and/or would cost the same (or more) than just paying the single supplement in an interior room... but even knowing which ones have the option of a studio room (since I can be flexible on dates for solo travel) would be good. 

12 hours ago, TheaFromCDA said:

Weird... I thought that the deposit was 50% of your total cruise cost? Ie... if the cruise cost 1500... you had to put down $750 right away?

Sadly my friends can pretty much only plan anything 2 to 4 weeks out. Significant other would also not be able to know his work schedule 90 days out so Id be committed pretty much with whatever option I elect for. 

Ok...maybe I am being extra dense but is there any way to filter by STATEROOM first (Rather than picking ship/date/etc) to narrow down what cruise options a solo traveller may have?

I know studio rooms may not necessarily be cheaper (based on blogs, CC, etc) and/or would cost the same (or more) than just paying the single supplement in an interior room... but even knowing which ones have the option of a studio room (since I can be flexible on dates for solo travel) would be good. 

IIRCc there are currently just two ships with studio rooms: Harmony and Anthem. Harmony only has 3 of them as I recall, while Anthem has closer to a dozen.

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

IIRCc there are currently just two ships with studio rooms: Harmony and Anthem. Harmony only has 3 of them as I recall, while Anthem has closer to a dozen.

I think they may have refurbished a few to include some (not included but has 4 also is Navigator but I kind of nixed Navigator and Majesty off my option list... 

Its more it seems on Royal you can filter by ship, date, port, etc but room isnt an option (Though I could be also wrong)

SS 2018-01-31 at 8.21.15 AM.png

13 hours ago, TheaFromCDA said:

I don't know of a way to filter like that. I do know more ships have them now though.There were a lot of studio rooms on my Harmony - you can use a cruise deck plan site to look for them. I think Harmony had about 10-15. I'm pretty sure more are popping up on older ships too.

I booked a studio room, I'm going with a ton of people and I rarely like to share a room unless it's with a significant other or one particular friend who has been a travel buddy for over 15 years. It was expensive - about what was posted - but worth it for me. I love people but I also love my alone time. It was share a room with 2 others, I'm WAY too old for that or go on my own.

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

The only way I can think to filter by cabin type is to find and use a good travel agent.

Once in a blood red blue moon you hear of someone snagging a solo cabin without the single supplement extra charge but those are also impossible to search for and often only available to residents of certain states.

yeah... I think you nailed it there... I love Canada but it seems none of the TA or even "large" cruise specialty companies here have the buying power or ability to offer deals the way US companies can :(

I did find a few sites that shows the "best" deals for solo travellers and the % of the single supplements but I dont know how good they would be after you book with them...I am guessing not the same as Matt's relationship with MEI

1 hour ago, ellcee said:

I don't know of a way to filter like that. I do know more ships have them now though.There were a lot of studio rooms on my Harmony - you can use a cruise deck plan site to look for them. I think Harmony had about 10-15. I'm pretty sure more are popping up on older ships too.

I booked a studio room, I'm going with a ton of people and I rarely like to share a room unless it's with a significant other or one particular friend who has been a travel buddy for over 15 years. It was expensive - about what was posted - but worth it for me. I love people but I also love my alone time. It was share a room with 2 others, I'm WAY too old for that or go on my own.

According to RC's recategorization grid... these (outside of Navigator) are the only ones that seem to have ones that "Sleep 1"SS 2018-01-31 at 8.21.15 AM.pngle

...listening to a few podcasts and reading a few sites, seems that even those solo rooms can be pricier than paying the single supplement.

The only thing that I did notice on my 1st ever cruise was that (at least in Harmony's case) more geared for people travelling with one or more people... I did see on the cruise compass that there was a constant solo travellers meet up... but every time we walked by the Rising Tide, didnt really see a gathering or anything 

Its going to be interesting experiencing going on a cruise solo 

Just now, ellcee said:

Not for my 7/7 cruise! A double occupancy room has been $300-500 more since booking in August. I check, obsessively.

Did you go through a TA? 

I know Matt and a few others advocates booking as soon as the schedules are released... so now I feel like I "missed out" on the best prices :( 

Did you go through a TA? 

I booked on my own and switched to Michelle (MEI) after. I booked 11 months before because that's when the plan was made, I know the schedule was released a while before that. I've also booked cruises last minute (3 weeks before) and have gotten decent deals. There are so many factors involved - do your research and try to stress too much!!!

so now I feel like I "missed out" on the best prices :( 

While the book as early as possible rule is generally true, it isn't always.  I booked a Star Class suite on Harmony as soon as the schedules came out and the price on that suite has dropped since then.  Luckily I booked back when we could still use the fully refundable deposit so I can still cancel (haven't done so yet but almost certainly will) so it isn't a problem but now with the nonrefundable deposit only option for suites, I have quit booking suites early.  I just happened up on a GREAT bargain on a Star Class suite for April of this year so booking early doesn't ALWAYS work out best.  Don't regret your decision.  One of the most fun things about cruising is learning the ins and outs.  You will learn something every time you cruise.  That's fun and it makes continuing to cruise even MORE fun.

Just now, WAAAYTOOO said:

While the book as early as possible rule is generally true, it isn't always.  I booked a Star Class suite on Harmony as soon as the schedules came out and the price on that suite has dropped since then.  Luckily I booked back when we could still use the fully refundable deposit so I can still cancel (haven't done so yet but almost certainly will) so it isn't a problem but now with the nonrefundable deposit only option for suites, I have quit booking suites early.  I just happened up on a GREAT bargain on a Star Class suite for April of this year so booking early doesn't ALWAYS work out best.  Don't regret your decision.  One of the most fun things about cruising is learning the ins and outs.  You will learn something every time you cruise.  That's fun and it makes continuing to cruise even MORE fun.

I really enjoyed Harmony...outside of getting massive food poisoning and being out of commission for the last 4 days of the cruise :7_sweat_smile:... So now Im debating if booking on a smaller ship would be a let down...

with regards to my friends and SO... I probably would aim for one of the ships with the bigger "wow" factor...in hopes they get addicted.

When you say "GREAT" bargain.. how often do you guys see that a suite or even a junior suite would be close enough to a balcony cost to justify the upgrade?

11 minutes ago, TheaFromCDA said:

I really enjoyed Harmony...outside of getting massive food poisoning and being out of commission for the last 4 days of the cruise :7_sweat_smile:... So now Im debating if booking on a smaller ship would be a let down...

with regards to my friends and SO... I probably would aim for one of the ships with the bigger "wow" factor...in hopes they get addicted.

When you say "GREAT" bargain.. how often do you guys see that a suite or even a junior suite would be close enough to a balcony cost to justify the upgrade?

Depends on the ship for me.  If it is an Oasis or Quantum class ship then I would upgrade from balcony-JS for $500 or less.  Because that gets me double cruise points and CK.

We upgraded from a JS to GS on Harmony for $600 and I considered that well worth it for full suite benefits.

4 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Yes, as long as you do  not change the ship or sail date you can reprice it.

Just don't pay it off before 90 days out.

If you are the type that pays in full before final payment due date, hold back $100 until final payment due date.  Once its paid in full, no price adjustments, even before final payment due date.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Just don't pay it off before 90 days out.

If you are the type that pays in full before final payment due date, hold back $100 until final payment due date.  Once its paid in full, no price adjustments, even before final payment due date.

That's good to know (although 90% of the time I book within the 90 days out as its hard with work to make sure I won't be in the middle of a huge project.) Our next year's cruise was the first time I have ever bought in advanced but it was brand new and they sold out fast. I still think the best prices I have seen have been around the 90 days mark. For March's cruise it was a few dollars less just before but by the time we said yes went up $10 pp (not much but that's like 2 drinks lol)

7 minutes ago, TheaFromCDA said:

So sorry... just to clarify,

would CHANGING the name of a passenger incur a charge on a NON Refundable Booking if the date and ship stays the same? Both pre or post final deposit?

Here is what Jacki from MEI travel responded to me on this exact scenario:

"If you decide to change the name, we can do that up until a few days prior to departure without penalty."

Personally I wouldn't wait until a few days before.

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

Here is what Jacki from MEI travel responded to me on this exact scenario:

"If you decide to change the name, we can do that up until a few days prior to departure without penalty."

Personally I wouldn't wait until a few days before.

Thanks @twangster you are amazing! I really wish I could book via MEI but their pricing doesn't seem to be close to what I see on the other sites :(

Based on what Matt says on the blog and podcasts though...the service he receives from MEI seems way better than the ones I got from the one I booked my previous sailing with... 

Dont get me wrong... they didnt do anything WRONG... but they also didnt seem to do the things that Matt says MEI does for him like constantly checking for repricing or better staterooms..given maybe the one I had was the best that was available and I'm just suffering the case of the envies 

1 minute ago, TheaFromCDA said:

Thanks @twangster you are amazing! I really wish I could book via MEI but their pricing doesn't seem to be close to what I see on the other sites :(

Based on what Matt says on the blog and podcasts though...the service he receives from MEI seems way better than the ones I got from the one I booked my previous sailing with... 

Dont get me wrong... they didnt do anything WRONG... but they also didnt seem to do the things that Matt says MEI does for him like constantly checking for repricing or better staterooms..given maybe the one I had was the best that was available and I'm just suffering the case of the envies 

Loyalty comes with reward.  The better staterooms usually are few and far between so if they find one, of course they are going to think of their frequent customers first.

If you find a better price, present it to MEI.  Doesn't hurt to ask.

MEI proactively researches every sale and emails me to let me know if prices dropped.  Sometimes that goes " the price dropped slightly but you would lose you $125 OBC so you are better off not to".  I only have one booking with them for the Alaska Group Cruise.  

39 minutes ago, twangster said:

If you find a better price, present it to MEI.  Doesn't hurt to ask.

Does MEI price match?  I am in the same boat as @TheaFromCDA.  I would love to try out MEI after hearing all the good things about them from these boards.  However, often, I can get a way better deal elsewhere for less service.