Live Blog Photo Size

twangster

Live Blog Photo Size - Which is Best?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the four photo sizes is the smallest that looks acceptable?

• 300 pixels wide
    • 500 pixels wide
    • 700 pixels wide
    • 900 pixels wide

My goal is to find the minimal photo size that properly represents an image to reduce server storage demands but also reduce Voom upload times. 

Smartphone and tablet users likely won't see a lot of differences, but folks with computers and large monitors may.  

Here is the same photo in four different sizes:

300 Pixels Wide, 59KB

5a707685704bf_Nassua300-1.jpg.58b868ff50521344f15e9a77831977d5.jpg

500 Pixels Wide, 106KB

5a707693f17b8_Nassua500-1.jpg.72ed5e0937a19cba9d0579b281d2a606.jpg

700 Pixels Wide, 170KB

5a7076a267d3d_Nassua700-1.jpg.0f15ee774a570a1235fe818cd1cb6246.jpg

900 Pixels Wide, 256KB

5a7076b02e916_Nassua900-1.jpg.3ca96b4eaa0d6e00c9b9e7979e35e886.jpg

I would like to find out too for my upcoming trip also @twangster what are the file sizes at one point the resolution to size wouldn't really make a difference. The 900 looks amazing but the 700 would work fine. What about hosting them somewhere else and using code to display them here? How long is a typical upload on voom?

On my gaming rig, I can barely tell the difference between them. The difference is so small I'm having a hard time deciding which one is better lol. I think the 800 fits the screen better (on a 17.3" screen at 1920x1080) now I should bring it up on a 4K screen but that might be overboard lol. I think for blogging purpose the smaller size 800px is good.

I’m on my phone right now (iPhone 6s Plus), and  in landscape mode the 700px image is the first one that fills the screen and has what I’d consider acceptable detail and color balance.

Out of the later pictures, the first 800px one looks better than the second. I could tell even before reading the file sizes that the second was more heavily compressed, as it lacked the color saturation and depth of the first one and had less fine detail.

No difference I can easily see on the phone between the 800px and 1000px images, at least not without zooming in (which I’m not trusting myself to judge correctly when on pain meds ?).

8 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I’m on my phone right now (iPhone 6s Plus), and  in landscape mode the 700px image is the first one that fills the screen and has what I’d consider acceptable detail and color balance.

Out of the later pictures, the first 800px one looks better than the second. I could tell even before reading the file sizes that the second was more heavily compressed, as it lacked the color saturation and depth of the first one and had less fine detail.

No difference I can easily see on the phone between the 800px and 1000px images, at least not without zooming in (which I’m not trusting myself to judge correctly when on pain meds ?).

I hate to break it to you, but I purposely placed the smaller file size image first.  Don't believe me?  Save both locally and compare.

11 minutes ago, twangster said:

I hate to break it to you, but I purposely placed the smaller file size image first.  Don't believe me?  Save both locally and compare.

I thought so, I could tell the difference but it was so small I sat for like 10 minutes and still couldn't decide which was better but sware it might have been the second one but so little the compressed size was fine. What are you using for the compression?

Edit** I put my face right up to the screen and it was more obvious but who uses a computer like that lol.

1 minute ago, LetsTryThisTech said:

I thought so, I could tell the difference but it was so small I sat for like 10 minutes and still couldn't decide which was better but sware it might have been the second one but so little the compressed size was fine. What are you using for the compression?

Lightroom Export Function.  The smaller file size has "Limit File Size To 150 K", the larger file does not.

5a70b755e1ded_LRExportSettings.jpeg.e016f885aa039641f650eab538c28783.jpeg

8 minutes ago, LetsTryThisTech said:

I guess I probably stop using raw for photos I take for my blog (although its good for editing). I just looked up a none compressed file from my camera and it is like 10mb :51_scream: yep cant use that for here. lol

I only shoot RAW.  Shooting in RAW let's me be a poor photographer and fix it later in software.  

This cruise was just under 30GB for 850 photos.  My average photo is ~29MB RAW.  HDR images become ~80MB on disk.  

Typical iPhone shots are 2.5-3MB each so even those need to be resized to something reasonable for web use.

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

I only shoot RAW.  Shooting in RAW let's me be a poor photographer and fix it later in software.  

This cruise was just under 30GB for 850 photos.  My average photo is ~29MB RAW.  HDR images become ~80MB on disk.  

Typical iPhone shots are 2.5-3MB each so even those need to be resized to something reasonable for web use.

Okay good, it's not only me lol. My friend and I have a joke anytime we aren't sure how something came out on the first try "we'll fix it in post" lol.

My new phone's camera is only 16 MP compared to my old one that was 20 MP so they don't come out as nice but are much smaller lol. I'm going to play around with Gimp since its free lol hopefully it can pull some good results otherwise need to try Adobe.

• 2 weeks later...