South Pacific shore excursions

Adski

Our family is going on our first cruise in April from Sydney around the Pacific with stops in Lifou island and Noumea.  

Our group has two 6 year olds so we are interested in recommendations on which shore excursions would be of most interest and suitability for young children. They love splashing around at the beach but have never snorkelled.  For Noumea I am thinking either the train or the 'Noumea City Sights, Aquarium and Beach' excursion but would welcome any knowledgeable recommendations!

Many thanks.

Most of us haven't cruised the South Pacific and are very envious of you.  You may want to do some research on another site like CC or Trip Advisor.

One thing is if the 6 year olds can swim don't be afraid of snorkeling excursions (if you prefer to snorkel).  My oldest 2 were snorkeling off of Ko Phi Phi at ages 6 and 3. We took a family snorkel excursion in Roatan last year and my youngest was 5. Buy and bring gear for them (mask, snorkel and fins) and practice in a pool before you go. It takes a few times to get the hang of breathing in a snorkel and the snorkel should be one where water can't get in the top easily. The biggest thing for my 5 year old was she gets cold in the water very easily so she snorkeled the first stop but stayed on the boat the 2nd stop. This year I'm planning on getting her a shirt that is like a wet suit to keep her a bit warmer and hopefully snorkeling longer.

Have a great trip!

• 2 weeks later...

We cruised the South Pacific on Voyager in November 17 but without children.

The "train" is actually a road vehicle pulling a chain of open carriages through the streets to sightseeing spots.  We stopped at a hotel for a cool drink and snack about halfway round.  It's a good way to see the main sights and many photo opportunities.  We left the tour in the town centre for a look around the market, which is easy walking distance back to the ship.  I can imagine young children getting bored once the novelty wore off.

Enjoy your trip.