I really need some positive thoughts / good vibes right now

JLMoran

By the way, bit of additional good news on this illness: It's not the flu!!

It sure as hell feels like it, but the nurse practitioner ran a flu test on me and it came back negative for both type A and type B. She said they've been seeing a lot of this year -- they normally go through maybe 3 boxes of test kits in a season before they learn the symptoms of that year's flu strain and don't need them any more. This year, whatever this mimic virus is, it's caused them to go through ten boxes of test kits (at $600 per box)! They've had to, so they don't mistakenly prescribe Tamiflu for something that doesn't actually need it / won't benefit from it.

And, she said that because it's not the actual flu and just a mimic, I'll probably be better in another day or two. So just have to ride this out a little longer, and then please let that truly be the third and final! You hear me, 2018?!?!? I said I'm done!!! :10_wink: :4_joy:

31 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

By the way, bit of additional good news on this illness: It's not the flu!!

It sure as hell feels like it, but the nurse practitioner ran a flu test on me and it came back negative for both type A and type B. She said they've been seeing a lot of this year -- they normally go through maybe 3 boxes of test kits in a season before they learn the symptoms of that year's flu strain and don't need them any more. This year, whatever this mimic virus is, it's caused them to go through ten boxes of test kits (at $600 per box)! They've had to, so they don't mistakenly prescribe Tamiflu for something that doesn't actually need it / won't benefit from it.

And, she said that because it's not the actual flu and just a mimic, I'll probably be better in another day or two. So just have to ride this out a little longer, and then please let that truly be the third and final! You hear me, 2018?!?!? I said I'm done!!! :10_wink: :4_joy:

OMG - I had the mimic flu, too! Over NYE! Hope you're feeling better soon! 

47 minutes ago, KLAconQueso said:

OMG - I had the mimic flu, too! Over NYE! Hope you're feeling better soon! 

Wow! I think this is what my husband had on our 9N Navigator cruise in January. He was down for 3 days, but he had a cough. I thought he had pneumonia. Got back home, he went to doctor, just a virus, X-ray clear! This winter has been horrible!!

Last post to close out this thread. I’ve been driving for the last few days, with the longest time spent today while I finally bought a new suit, which will get its inaugural wearing on this sailing’s formal nights! And I’m feeling so normal that I forgot the prohibition about lifting nothing heavier than a gallon of milk for another couple of weeks, and proceeded to carry not just a gallon of milk but five other plastic bags of groceries into the house after getting stuff for dinner and the pantry on the way home. Grateful I didn’t inadvertently hurt myself!

The suit was an absolute bargain. Joseph A. Bank had a clearance sale, and I picked up a Select Gold 100% 150’s Italian wool 3-season suit that looks really sharp and has a (probably very inflated) list price of $1,100 for $160! Plus a couple new matching ties on BOGO sale. I’ve read and guessed from past experience that this particular place is known for stupidly high markup on their list prices, so I’m taking the final value with a grain of salt. But I also read that this line of theirs normally doesn’t go on clearance for less than $250-$350, so that’s a definite win! And there’s no question after trying it on that it looks great, fits really nicely, and the material feels fantastic! Tailor is making alterations, and I pick it up on March 16.

33 days, 2 hours, and 32 minutes until sailaway day. Not that I’m counting or anything. ?

16 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

33 days, 2 hours, and 32 minutes until sailaway day. Not that I’m counting or anything. ?

I'm excited for you!! Every cruise is exciting but nothing beats the first one. I always tell hubby that pulling up to the sight of the ship at the terminal never gets old. This next month will fly by, you'll see ?

So happy that things are going well for you and that healing is happening quickly. Still make sure you don't overdo it.

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Joe, I think you got a very good deal on the suit.  You usually cannot get that kind of price on one of their suits without having to buy 2 - 1 at list price and the other for a discount.  Well done !

Thanks! Here's a link to the actual suit, if you're interested -- note that the clearance sale from yesterday is now replaced with a new "clearance" sale at more than double the price (which, interestingly, matches the price that I saw on the physical tag when I was first shown that suit to try on and which I'd have been willing to pay).

I have no idea why this suit is described as a "classic sharkskin"; it is neither shiny like newer artificial fabric sharkskin-style suits from the god-awful modern era, nor is it an old-style classic blend of wool, mohair, silk, etc. (see this short description on Wikipedia, which is my only reference, and notice how the stock image from Jos A Bank doesn't have any of that shine from the artificial fabrics or the texturing of the older style shown). The product description clearly states it's 100% 150's wool, so if there's someone with a lot more sartorial knowledge than me on these boards who can explain how this suit could be "sharkskin", I'd genuinely love to learn.

Regardless, when I looked in the mirror after putting it on, I thought it looked really sharp and classy, even more than when I just had the jacket on to try the fit and I was just eyeing the fabric. I'm not someone who gives two particular figs about fashion, and I rarely dress up any more, but I definitely know what I like and think looks good when I wear it. And damn I liked this suit, I can't wait to wear it on formal night and get a photo or two taken!