I really need some positive thoughts / good vibes right now

JLMoran

47 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Doing pretty well. Over the last two days I've progressed to taking the stairs the "normal" way, both up and down; still pretty slow going down, but the knee has no problem holding my full weight now while bending. Still being careful not to overdo it, and tomorrow will be the big test -- driving!

The knee itself still looks fine, apart from some yellow bruising that wasn't there a couple of days ago and only showed up yesterday. I guess the area needed some time for the inflammation to down before the bruises could show. Going to see about sleeping in my own bed tonight instead of our recliner, maybe even without pain meds since that driving effort will be in the morning, to get the kids to school.

Second surgery is one week from tomorrow, so I'm definitely glad at the rapid pace I'm healing up from this surgery.

Keep the awesome positive vibes going. 

Driving this morning was totally fine. A little uncomfortable getting in and out, but no real pain.

I do think I overdid it a bit yesterday. Knee seems a little less stable / more prone to twinges and slight popping when I take normal-length steps this morning; I'm going to be taking it slower today, not do the stairs nearly as much, and definitely not cooking dinner (although last night's Rarebit with a really good Belgian-style Quadrupel was quite tasty ?).

I do have to work today and the rest of the week, but at least I'm able to do that from home and I can use the recliner with my laptop as needed.

I hope all goes well. I had surgery on my knee in the early '90s; it was one of the best decisions I ever made. Walked out of surgery not needing any additional pain pills and haven't had any issues with it since. I've even competed in about a half dozen marathons and have a goal to do a full marathon by 50, but I need to lose some excess weight first to make that a reality.

My guess is that this is one of the most common surgeries, so I'm sure all will go well as you continue to recover.

I do find anti-inflammatories very useful when flying or sitting for long periods of time, though. Mostly for my left knee which was never operated on as it only flares up every 3-5 years and by the time I get an appointment with the orthopedist the pain has usually gone away. Go figure!

Sutures came out today, so the knee is finally "free and clear". It does seem like now that they're out, I'm not feeling the same twinges and other sudden little pains when I wiggle the knee the "wrong way" when I'm walking, so this is good. I also got some clarification on the additional damage she found when she did the surgery.

Apparently the tear in the cartilage was a big one, leaving bone exposed even before she cleaned it out. So far I'm not feeling any kind of grinding bone-on-bone pain (and with my history of arthritis in both heels and ankles, that's a pain I recognize quickly), and she said it will hopefully stay that way for a while and be nothing more than just soreness when the weather changes. When the time comes, I'll get the Hyaluronic Acid injections to loosen things back up.

Three more days, and then surgery number two!

Second surgery is today. Was originally scheduled for 10 AM, but they had a more pressing case come in and I found out (with plenty of advance notice) that I was now having surgery at 1 PM.

Since it was pushed out, there was no problem having food a little bit after midnight. So I did what any red-blooded American male would do in this situation: I stayed up until midnight, then made myself 2 scrambled eggs, 4 slices of bacon, and 2 waffles with maple syrup. Went to bed about 1:30 AM.

Don't make me hungry. You wouldn’t like me when I’m hungry.

No, really. I’m hypoglycemic and I become an absolute ogre if I go too long without eating, and we had dinner at 5:30. This was done 100% with the poor nurses in mind who’d otherwise be subject to my ravenousness after over 20 hours with no food. Now they just have to deal with me being really peckish.

I’m home. Surgery went absolutely fine, and I actually was discharged earlier than expected. Did have to take some pain meds once home, and ice packs will be my best friend the next few days. But feeling pretty good overall. 

Thanks again, everyone, for all the good thoughts and well wishes!

16 hours ago, JLMoran said:

I’m home. Surgery went absolutely fine, and I actually was discharged earlier than expected. Did have to take some pain meds once home, and ice packs will be my best friend the next few days. But feeling pretty good overall. 

Thanks again, everyone, for all the good thoughts and well wishes!

Glad to hear you're on the mend!  The only piece of advice I've really got is make sure you follow the doctor's directions to the letter!  After my ankle surgery, my doc gave me little "homework" excersizes I had to do with a rubber band type thing.  They seemed silly and weren't very fun, but it was important for the healing process and I'm glad I did them!

Today has been... interesting. No major pain, thank goodness, but I think I’m experiencing the “referential pain” I was warned can happen after laparoscopic surgery because of the gas used during the procedure. I’ve never scuba dived, so I don’t have direct experience with “the bends”, but this is sort of what I imagine it might feel like. Just some persistent mild pain in my lower right ribs, sort of feels like an air pocket that got lodged just under the bottom of my rib cage. Feels better when standing or sitting upright, worse when lying down (which I need to do to keep the abdominal area from swelling / getting inflamed).

Apart from that, I’m doing pretty well. Just taking Advil as directed, haven’t needed another pain pill yet; will probably take one at bedtime just so I can sleep decently. Everything looks healthy, so this is all good!

7 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Today has been... interesting. No major pain, thank goodness, but I think I’m experiencing the “referential pain” I was warned can happen after laparoscopic surgery because of the gas used during the procedure. I’ve never scuba dived, so I don’t have direct experience with “the bends”, but this is sort of what I imagine it might feel like. Just some persistent mild pain in my lower right ribs, sort of feels like an air pocket that got lodged just under the bottom of my rib cage. Feels better when standing or sitting upright, worse when lying down (which I need to do to keep the abdominal area from swelling / getting inflamed).

Apart from that, I’m doing pretty well. Just taking Advil as directed, haven’t needed another pain pill yet; will probably take one at bedtime just so I can sleep decently. Everything looks healthy, so this is all good!

Don't be surprised if it moves into your shoulder. I had to have my appendix out a couple of days before a cruise--actually missed my flight, but made the cruise--and I swear that the gas was the most painful part of the whole surgery. I just wanted to stick a knife in me and let it out.

Hope it goes away soon and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Currently sitting at my computer, and have been sitting upright and moving around more than any other day so far; which, considering it's 9:47 AM here and I've been awake since 6:30, is saying something! And the pain under my ribs seems to be gone today; now just some soreness in my lower back, which is probably due more to spending the last two days in my recliner than anything else.

Also ate a burrito bowl from Moe's for dinner last night, complete with ground beef, rice, pinto beans, grilled onions and peppers, guac, queso, pico de gallo, and lots of pickled jalapeños. That might not have been such a great idea the day after surgery, but I was really hungry and the doc did say I could resume my regular diet as I felt up to it. :10_wink:

Coughing is the only thing that's still pretty uncomfortable to deal with, hopefully that'll be good in another couple of days. Meanwhile, lots of water to keep the coughing at bay!

Dang, man - I always forget to look at the bottom of the message board page, and am just seeing this thread.   

Sorry, compadre'.  I'm real happy that you're feeling better.  But, in the name of safety and precaution, perhaps 

you should bring me along with you on your cruise.  I'll make sure that you don't over-exert yourself.  I'll even 

pre-taste your beverages, you know, for safety's sake.

BTW, which quad did you have with your rarebit?   

d

1 hour ago, Floski said:

BTW, which quad did you have with your rarebit?

It was Weyerbacher Quadrupel, and it wasn't with the rarebit, it was in the rarebit! My recipe calls for 12 ounces of room temp beer to be whisked in to the roux that starts off the rarebit, and then after simmering down for about 10 minutes you add the cheese, horse radish, minced garlic, and pepper. :3_grin: I've made this particular recipe with Bass Ale, Allagash Tripel, and even a Stout one time. But I think the quad has been the best-tasting one yet.

btw, that Weyerbacher quad is really tasty but, as my microbrew guy put it, it's a definite "nighty-night beer"! If I want to stay awake after dinner, I don't have more than one of those!

4 hours ago, JLMoran said:

It was Weyerbacher Quadrupel, and it wasn't with the rarebit, it was in the rarebit! My recipe calls for 12 ounces of room temp beer to be whisked in to the roux that starts off the rarebit, and then after simmering down for about 10 minutes you add the cheese, horse radish, minced garlic, and pepper. :3_grin: I've made this particular recipe with Bass Ale, Allagash Tripel, and even a Stout one time. But I think the quad has been the best-tasting one yet.

btw, that Weyerbacher quad is really tasty but, as my microbrew guy put it, it's a definite "nighty-night beer"! If I want to stay awake after dinner, I don't have more than one of those!

I really like Weyerbacher, and their quad is phenomenal.  That Pumking, though...mmmmmmm.  

I can't imagine how good that rarebit is.  I'll be up for dinner this weekend.  Want me to bring some grits or pork rinds?

40 minutes ago, rjac said:

Bring him some shrimp and grits from the Amen Street Fish & Raw Bar. You'll never get rid of him!:27_sunglasses:

Sorry, if we’re talking shrimp then I’ll have to insist on cooking up some shrimp etoufée with dirty rice. No one else here besides my BIL wants my Cajun cooking (courtesy of Chef Paul’s classic cookbook), and he rarely visits on his own, so I have to insist when I get out-of-towners with discerning palates. :3_grin:

Well, they say that bad things come in threes, and today the third one hit.

I'm sick with the flu. :65_mask:

Got chills out of nowhere last night, and today I'm achy all over and running a low fever. Will get to the urgent care facility tomorrow when my wife is home to drive me and get on some Tamiflu ASAP, since there's a 48-hour window to start it from symptom onset.

Now on the plus side, because this thread is about staying positive in the face of all this:

• It happened with over a month until I have to fly down, so I will be all manner of better by then
  • I got the flu shot, and so did the rest of my family
  • If other family members catch this (fingers crossed they don't!), they will also have ample time to recover

We are still cruising, we are still going to have a grand ol' time... and thank GOD that the third one hit and is just DONE!!! I'm SO looking forward to leaving Winter 2018 in the rear-view mirror!

Sadly the flu shot didn't seem to cover every strand this year. Good news though, now you have it you should be good. I got it twice a few weeks back but now I have been around sick people and never got sick again so think I should be good for the next 2 weeks. So get it out of the way, it may suck now, but it is WAY better now than the start of the cruise. Hope you feel better though :)

16 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

For me, or for you guys? I promise I'll try to keep the "I wanna go NOW" whining to a minimum. :10_wink:

And for the record, as of today it's 39 days until I board the ship, 36 days until I'm on the plane flying down to FLL. :4_joy:

It'll be here before you know it!!!