Alaska Cruise

Joe B

Hello Joe B

we are in the same boat as you.  We are also booked for Alaska in June 2019 but on the Radiance.  I believe a Pod cast on this site is available on Alaska cruises 

What I did do was look at the Cruise Compass from June 2016 on the Radiance, and wholly mackerel, it's going to be cold.   I think the high only reached 58 for the 7 night cruise.  I told my wife we better start buying warm clothes in the Spring when they are on sale!  lol

Have Fun Planning, Jennie from the Diamond Lounge on the Indy highly recommends Dog Sledding and the zip line which I believe is in Juneau(I could be wrong on this one)

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

In 2019 we will be taking a cruise to Alaska on Ovation of the Seas.  Has any one taken the Alaska cruise?  Any suggestions on land excursions or tips while on the ship?  This is our first ever cruise.

@twangster has a good blog recap of his cruise to Alaska.  Might give you some ideas.  It's in the live blog section here.

On top of the blog @Sabrinaklai mentioned here https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5211-alaska-recap-celebrity-millennium-june-2017/  RoyalCaribbeanBlog.com is hosting a group cruise to Alaska this coming June.  Watch this site for blogs and user reports as the group cruise unfolds June 22, 2018 on the Explorer of the Seas.

Alaska is a cruise itinerary where it helps to have a healthy excursion budget.  From trains, helicopters and sea planes to whale watching boats there is a lot to do and see at each stop.  In many ports simply stepping of the ship you won't get to experience Alaska unless you venture away from the dock.  Excursions are a great way to do that and experience Alaska but they add up depending on your group size.  

14 hours ago, RBRSKI said:

We are celebrating a bunch of things too, Our son Graduates from High School, Our daughter graduates from 8th grade, my wife and I are celebrating our 50th b days.

Wow, your family and mine are on almost exactly the same schedule, just a year apart! Our cruise on Freedom this March is for all the same milestones, except for my birthday (just turned 48 this week). And in our case we're throwing our 20th wedding anniversary into the mix. :3_grin:

Congratulations on the graduations, and for starting your sixth decade!

2 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Wow, your family and mine are on almost exactly the same schedule, just a year apart! Our cruise on Freedom this March is for all the same milestones, except for my birthday (just turned 48 this week). And in our case we're throwing our 20th wedding anniversary into the mix. :3_grin:

Congratulations on the graduations, and for starting your sixth decade!

I just can't believe these milestones are already upon us.  When you are blessed with such a great family, it's going to be hard to see them leave the nest.  Hey, but then again, when they are in college, it's that much easier to jump on a Royal Caribbean ship for a quick getaway!  lol

8 minutes ago, RBRSKI said:

I just can't believe these milestones are already upon us.  When you are blessed with such a great family, it's going to be hard to see them leave the nest.  Hey, but then again, when they are in college, it's that much easier to jump on a Royal Caribbean ship for a quick getaway!  lol

LOL!  I have a chart, that I keep in a drawer.  On this chart there's 3 columns.  First column is the number of years I have left before retirement, the next column is the years I can take off in between now and retirement, and the last column is how old my kids will be each of those years.  This is how we plan our cruises.  We have the college age years highlighted so we can finally take a Transatlantic and South America cruise!  Now I just need those 2026-2027 itineraries to come out!  Another example of how I know I am addicted to cruising!

4 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

LOL!  I have a chart, that I keep in a drawer.  On this chart there's 3 columns.  First column is the number of years I have left before retirement, the next column is the years I can take off in between now and retirement, and the last column is how old my kids will be each of those years.  This is how we plan our cruises.  We have the college age years highlighted so we can finally take a Transatlantic and South America cruise!  Now I just need those 2026-2027 itineraries to come out!  Another example of how I know I am addicted to cruising!

We are so bummed, we booked a one-way 5/6/18 on the Freedom ending in San Juan just the wife and I.  We could have taken the Indy trans Atlantic from FLL after the refub but the sailing on 5/5/18 is showing sold out. I think they are using that time to finish up on last min things.   Matt can you get us on it. lol

Guest toodle68

We are doing the southbound trip on 6/21 with a pre-tour before it.  No celebrations.  It is shaping up to be one of our most expensive trips we have done.. but we know that the sort of trips we are now wanting to do are all going to be expensive..  Galápagos Islands cruise is high on our list too.

Our final child will be off to college this year which causes a problem, who looks after the dogs!!  

You have to do the White Pass Railway in Skagway if you are stopping there. It is about 3 to 4 hours long and it is amazing. You learn so much about Alaska and the gold miners. I also did the dog sledding but it was cold and didn't enjoy it. But the coldest excursion was the helicopter to a glacier. I was a popsicle by the time I boarded the helicopter to go back.

I would definitely say you can skip the panning for gold, that was a terrible excursion and a big waste of money.

Candie

Hands down the best thing we have ever done on any of our vacations was the whale watching in Juneau with Harv & Marv's Outback Adventure.  Not through RCCL, but it was amazing.  The boats are smaller, so you get a more up close & personal tour.  We also ate at the Hanger in Juneau at the recommendation of our whale watching captain.  The food was excellent, and we had a great view of the ship & all the planes landing & taking off on the water while we ate.  Phenomenal experience all around in Juneau.

We are doing the 10 Night Wildlife Express Ct 1A Northbound on the Radiance 13 July thry 23 July (7 night cruise and 3 night inland post cruise). In Ketchikan we picked Bear Country and Wildlife Expedition, in Icy Strait Point we are doing the Whale & Marine Mammals cruise, in Juneau we are doing the Glacier Gardens and Culinary Experience, and in Skagway we are doing the Gold Panning, Sled dogs, and 40 below.  I hope we have picked good excursions as we tried to fit in all the stuff we wanted to see.