Remote Desktop

Hi All,

I use teamviewer regularly for work. I own my own business so I need to be able to access my work computer to answer customers emails. So I was hoping someone has been able to have some type remote desktop system. Our local (terrible) internet provider makes us use their modem, so not really able to modify it and I don't really want to get another piece of hardware unless it is absolutely necessary. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

I used Teamviewer on Anthem of the Seas and had no issues logging into work.

That's great news I saw something in the post @Matt shared about chrome desktop so might set that up as a backup. Was going to leave my good laptop home but think I might take it just in case. Better to have limited work access then find out I have none at all lol.

As Matt mentioned, there is a great thread on this.  That in mind it may or may not matter as I don't know if RCI is blocking port 5938 or anything else which might keep TeamViewer from working (they weren't in September on Harmony but I can't speak to anything more recent or on other ships).
Partially because of that thread I recently started using Torguard (I used to use PIA).  

Torguard has several methods of stealth VPN access (beyond just using 443), including obfsproxy.  You can find coupon codes (I think I used TGLIFETIME50) that will get the price down to $24 for a year of 5 simultaneous connections, and if you tunnel through them you can connect without issue.

Once I saw that some things were being blocked I started building up a few plans just in case.  

• 1 year later...
On 1/24/2018 at 10:16 PM, monorailmedic said:
As Matt mentioned, there is a great thread on this.  That in mind it may or may not matter as I don't know if RCI is blocking port 5938 or anything else which might keep TeamViewer from working (they weren't in September on Harmony but I can't speak to anything more recent or on other ships).
Partially because of that thread I recently started using Torguard (I used to use PIA).  

Torguard has several methods of stealth VPN access (beyond just using 443), including obfsproxy.  You can find coupon codes (I think I used TGLIFETIME50) that will get the price down to $24 for a year of 5 simultaneous connections, and if you tunnel through them you can connect without issue.

Once I saw that some things were being blocked I started building up a few plans just in case.  

Good afternoon,

I'm going to be on the Ovation for 22 days, sailing from Hawaii to Australia and remote access to work is an absolute must!  Last year our network  VPN (Watchguard Moble Web Access) was blocked on Grandeur and I was denied access for the entire cruise.  I discussed this issue with our IT company and they said the VPN should work, but if not to use a remote access software such as the one I currently use on my personal computer (LogMeIn).  I just looked at the Torguard website which seems impressive.  Would this allow me to access through our VPN?  Or should I just use LogMeIn?   I'm trying to cover every angle and have back up plans in place. As you know, once on board  I need to have many options available in case some fail. 

It sounds like they block any port other than the standard web browsing port 80 (http://) and 443 (https://) so yes, look at TeamViewer/LogMein that uses standard web browsing ports. There were some remote desktop plugins for Chrome, but I have never used them. (Ironic using the word ports when it's a ship involved!).