Redeeming RCCL Credit Card Points For Merchandise

Hi Everyone! This is my 1st post, and will be my 1st RCCL cruise in March, 2018. We opened a Royal Caribbean credit card to accumulate points and we have enough to redeem for onboard credit as well as some left over- it's 5,000 points for 2 RCCL robes to be delivered to our stateroom -- this would equate to about $50. Being that each robe is $75 on the website, I thought this was a steal! Question is, do we get to keep the robes? Or are they just to be used for the duration of the cruise? I wouldn't want to spend $50 worth of credit just to use for the cruise and then get charged another charge if we take them home. 

Thoughts? Experiences?

22 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

If you are purchasing the robes then they will be yours to take with you.  If they are the robes that are provided to you in your room then you must leave them.

Congratulations on your first cruise and welcome to our little family !

thank you! I just thought it seemed too good to be true to get 2 RCCL robes for $50!

14 minutes ago, UkuleleCruiser said:

What do you think of the credit card overall?

I actually got the Celebrity CC (not the on that's $69.00 annual fee). It's with Bank of America. I got it because out of the 7 cruises I'm booked on 5 are Celebrity, however, when I go online to Bank of America to redeem my points which I will be doing for my upcoming Grandeur, there is a drop down box that gives the names of all 3 RCCL cruises (RC, Celebrity Azumara). I have enough for the grandeur for $250 OBC and then some so I really don't see how you can go wrong. 

There are many who say that other cards give you more perks and I'm sure that's true.  However, we use the BofA RCCL Visa card b/c, as BostonBabe suggests, you can redeem your points directly for cruise OBC and since you receive double points for any RCCL purchases, those points will accumulate quickly.  We use the RCCL BofA Visa exclusively when cruising.

5 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

If you pay for your cruises with either card, say $1000 you get double points-$2000.   

I'm such a credit card dweeb: I don't know what 2000 points means. Is it dollar for dollar? Does 2000 points mean two free drinks? I don't speak the lingo yet! i'm reading this chart about someone who scored free robes, but not really sure what the points count was to get that... If 5,000 points is about $50 in actual usable "cruise bucks", then 2000 points is like 2 drinks of the day? I am sure it won't hurt. I just don't understand it all yet! :-)

2 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

There are many who say that other cards give you more perks and I'm sure that's true.  However, we use the BofA RCCL Visa card b/c, as BostonBabe suggests, you can redeem your points directly for cruise OBC and since you receive double points for any RCCL purchases, those points will accumulate quickly.  We use the RCCL BofA Visa exclusively when cruising.

That's exactly how we do it ...... that card is strictly for Cruise purchases and related items (like Drink packages)

2 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

OK, I see. I'm checking it out.

45 minutes ago, UkuleleCruiser said:

I'm such a credit card dweeb

LOL! You're not a dweeb.  Actually if you're paying for your cruise and air with it through RC say for the sake of argument total cost $6000. You'll get 12,000 points. I believe at 10,000 you can get $50OBC. they give you choices based on your points. 

7 minutes ago, RestingBirds said:

We just cashed in for $250 of OBC for our March cruise.  @WAAAYTOOO, or anyone else who's used it, who do we need to call/email at RC to make sure it's gone through?  I printed the page from BOA to bring on board as proof, as you and others have suggested.

That's maybe the only thing about the RCCL card that is frustrating.  The only thing you really have to confirm that the transaction has gone through is the email confirmation.  Up until just a few months ago you never had any idea whether your credit would show up or not.  Now, they have started allowing you to "spend" your OBC on precruise purchases,  you will know ahead of time that the OBC is in place.  Anecdotal information has shown that the Visa OBC will show up in your My Cruise Planner about 2 weeks - 1 month prior to your sail date.  Once you start seeing the "OBC BANNER" in My Cruise Planner you will know that all is well.

I do recommend that you print a copy of the email confirmation, however.  Only once have we ever had to produce the email "proof" to get the OBC applied once onboard but nothing else would have sufficed so it's important to have it, even if you do not need it.  In truth, they are very good at redeeming the points for OBC.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:20 PM, UkuleleCruiser said:

What do you think of the credit card overall? I have been leery of a lot of the credit cards offered by cruise lines. Are the points worth it? What would you recommend for a travel credit card?

Had the card for years.  First - use it for all RCCL purchases: double points.  Second: the best VALUE is for cruises.  Example at 50,000 points: (1) $500 onboard credit (2) $500 discount on any RCCL or Celebrity itinerary (3 - 5) Various upgrades worth $500 (6) 3 or 4 night cruise - value up to $1000. (7) Celebrity upgrade for Alaska worth $600.  In terms of "bang for your bucks" the cruise is best value...but sold a list price.

On 2/10/2018 at 3:13 PM, Allen2 said:

Had the card for years.  First - use it for all RCCL purchases: double points.  Second: the best VALUE is for cruises.  Example at 50,000 points: (1) $500 onboard credit (2) $500 discount on any RCCL or Celebrity itinerary (3 - 5) Various upgrades worth $500 (6) 3 or 4 night cruise - value up to $1000. (7) Celebrity upgrade for Alaska worth $600.  In terms of "bang for your bucks" the cruise is best value...but sold a list price.

Awesome! I'm fresh off our Liberty cruise, and looking for values. Your logic makes sense, especially since we decided on the ship to be "loyal to royal" because we are invested already...

1 minute ago, Boston Babe said:

How was your trip?  Like I was saying, the points add up if you are also using their air to sea or Celebrity air program. They intertwine. I hope you had a great time!!

Here's a quick trip summary: We had a great time. I only had two observations: We'd already been on The Liberty, so we didn't have the fun of exploring a new ship, new shows, etc. And, for some reason, they didn't give us a list of the Chops reservations or Chefs Table reservations when we first entered our room. I suppose they never did, but it seems like such a simple thing so I'd have everything planned for the week right in front of me.

We cancelled Bamboo Beach Club, and did a rum tasting experience at Appleton Rum's local facility opened just for this purpose. 

I didn't buy a ship.

I think our next destination will be Cuba, or a cruise out of San Juan...

6 minutes ago, UkuleleCruiser said:

I think our next destination will be Cuba

I wasn't going to go there, however my husband being the history freak that he is says he wants to. I'm waiting for the next deployment to come out for rest of 2020. (wishful thinking!)

I'm hoping you were still able to enjoy the cruise! Hey anything beats working! LOL 

3 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

I wasn't going to go there, however my husband being the history freak that he is says he wants to. I'm waiting for the next deployment to come out for rest of 2020. (wishful thinking!)

I'm hoping you were still able to enjoy the cruise! Hey anything beats working! LOL 

The cruise was fabulous. The highlight was enjoying room service coffee on the balcony each morning. Heaven! I tried to keep a journal. I may have more tidbits later. For instance, the room service charges are updated on paper, but not on the television menus. Really? Such a little detail. FYI no problem with room service charges. Still a great value.

37 minutes ago, UkuleleCruiser said:

The cruise was fabulous. The highlight was enjoying room service coffee on the balcony each morning. Heaven! I tried to keep a journal. I may have more tidbits later. For instance, the room service charges are updated on paper, but not on the television menus. Really? Such a little detail. FYI no problem with room service charges. Still a great value.

I did the Cuba cruise last August. We are deciding to do it in 2019 for Christmas if it's offer.  It is an eight day cruise and they have more stops in Cuba,

9 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

That's great! I'm 80 days and counting!! Starting my next career majoring in cruising!! Haven't been in 30 years! Can't wait for that coffee on the balcony. I'm so glad you had such a great time!

Yeah! What ship? What ports? Have you booked excursions yet?How exciting! So, for room service, always order at least 2 coffees per person, or you'll only get a little bit. I think we finally started ordering 4. The little bagels and English muffins are great. Just order cream cheese the same way you order coffee. And bring ones: We ran out of dollar bills to tip the room service guy...

53 minutes ago, UkuleleCruiser said:

Yeah! What ship? What ports? Have you booked excursions yet?

It's funny I was thinking about those ones!! Have to bring alot huh? Good advice, we really love our coffee!  Starting out on Grandeur for a 5 night to Bermuda in May, September back to Bermuda on Celebrity Summit, January Equinox, July Adventure of the Seas to NE/CA, then Southern Caribbean in Nov on Silhouette, then Edge January 2020! LOL Making up for lost time!! 

2 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

It's funny I was thinking about those ones!! Have to bring alot huh? Good advice, we really love our coffee!  Starting out on Grandeur for a 5 night to Bermuda in May, September back to Bermuda on Celebrity Summit, January Equinox, July Adventure of the Seas to NE/CA, then Southern Caribbean in Nov on Silhouette, then Edge January 2020! LOL Making up for lost time!! 

Making up for lost time is an understatement! You are an official cruise consultant!