The outbreak of sicknesses on several RC ships

Joe B

In addition to Noro, it's flu-season.  Winter is usually when we see diseases like this become more common all over (not just on ships).

That in mind you're actually 35 times as likely to get Norovirus on land in the US than on a cruise ship participating the US CDC vessel sanitation program.  Either way, wash you hands.  Constantly.  On ship and shore. 

http://www.cruisehabit.com/one-step-you-can-take-avoid-norovirus-take-cruise

For the record, RCI ships are no more prone than any other ship.  Last summer five Holland ships had outbreaks.  Carnival recently got busted in CDC inspections for failing to properly document on-board illnesses.    

Cruise lines and nursing homes in the U.S. are the only places legally required to report illness when a certain number of people become sick.  Schools, colleges, churches, work places, airlines, trains and no other place is required to report outbreaks.  

Ships don't generate viruses, someone who is sick boards with it and with guests deciding not to wash their hands are more susceptible to propagating it but no more than on an airline or train.

1 hour ago, LetsTryThisTech said:

I am buying hand sanitizer that claims to kill norovirus and wipes because you can never be too careful. If I'm at least clean it should help at a minimum. Plus I have been sick with what seems like everything this winter. 

There was a thread about this about a month ago...

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5191-tips-to-avoid-norovirus-on-a-cruise-ship/&tab=comments#comment-51438

I would start with the sanitizer in your cabin when you board. door knobs, remotes bathroom fixtures etc.  I am OCD when it comes to this as I've been a victim of it (on land). I also don't touch ketchup, salt and pepper shakers any condiments on tables. I wash my hands after handling menus too. I don't understand people not wanting to prevent as best they can not to get others sick.   (I guess I am really OCD! )LOL

2 minutes ago, ellcee said:

I do know that most hand sanitizers/wipes don't work against norovirus. I feel like someone posted the brand that is supposed to work.

There's a few. You can search norovirus on amazon and some will come up. I'm getting the Clorox brand though because its cheaper and we are on a budget lol

27 minutes ago, pamw said:

The virus is airborn so hand gellsc although good to use won't stop you getting it

While norovirus can be airborne, it is only airborne through vomit. Physical contact with the infected person or touching things like infected utensils then touching your mouth is the common way it is spread so using sanitizer before you eat is a good way to protect yourself.  Link from CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/features/norovirus/index.html

Don't forget to wipe down your airplane seat and tray cover on the flight to the cruise!

1 hour ago, SirRedman said:

I bought zoono to take on my upcoming cruise.  Opinions?

I've never heard of that line before so I did a quick google search.  My concerns with that product would be that there is no specific data as to what microbes or viruses it effectively kills.  Check your packaging and read it carefully.  Viruses are hard to kill, especially Norovirus.  If it simply say antibacterial or antimicrobial that doesn't mean it will kill norovirus.

On 1/24/2018 at 2:13 PM, DunkelBierJay said:

I'm convinced that the same percentage of people sick on ships is the same as the percentage of people sick on land. I haven't seen studies, but I have seen a sensationalist press.

It's crazier - you're actually 35x more likely to get Norovirus on land.  Check my link in the 4th post in this thread (don't wanna spam everyone with the link).  I was shocked while doing the research - I figured it was overblown, but I'd never have guessed that you're so much less likely to get Noro on a cruise ship than elsewhere.  All of that in mind, I do realize it's cold-comfort to someone who falls ill on vacation.

I just got off the cruise from hell, Grandeur, January 2, and 250 passengers had Norovirus and 150 more had an upper respiratory infection.

I am highly allergic to hand sanitizer, too much alcohol, so I buy a special one from Amazon that costs over $14 a small bottle. Passengers sure get agitated when I don't use the sanitizer as I enter the MDR or buffet, but I can't.

While on the Grandeur I talked to a woman who noticed a couple in the buffet coughing and sneezing and covering their mouths with their hands and then getting stuff from the buffet. No joke, she took their picture with her phone and brought it down to Guest Services, showed it to someone there and asked that they find them and quarantine them for the rest of the cruise. SERIOUSLY, what would be your reaction if a crew member came up with a picture of you coughing in your hands and told you that you now needed to stay in your cabin for the rest of the cruise. I just don't believe people any more. I don't even know what my reaction would be.

Candie

Guest toodle68

I can understand the agitation. You have spent several thousands on a vacation, something many people take just once a year, and you get sick because someone does not practice basic hygiene. I can't even begin to fathom how an adult still sneezes into their hands and then touches things without knowing, or caring, how that can effect other people.  

I have no idea what women are like, but as a guy, I see a very high percentage of men leave the public bathrooms without washing their hands..  In the end though, all you can do is protect yourself. Learn to stop touching your face so much, after getting your food from the buffet, sanitize your hands before eating etc..

The current situation with the flu in not only North America, but Europe as well, is not helping either.

The CDC website indicates 51 of 54 the US national reporting jurisdictions are reporting 'elevated' flu activity status. You can bet some of that is making its way onto cruise ships.

50 minutes ago, twangster said:

Like others have stated I still see people leaving restrooms without washing. SMH.

I have never understood this, it takes you so little time and will keep you and others from nasty things. People are just nasty it seems. The worst I saw was one guy did his business came to the sinks and fixed his hair and walked out and I just stood there in shock. You spent the same amount of time it would have taken to wash your hands to make your hair look good and then just walked out. It makes no sense. It seems like at this point the best defence cruise lines could do is to no longer allow passengers to get the items on their own but rather have a staff member dish out the food. Its a lot easier to control that in my opinion.

2 hours ago, toodle68 said:

I can understand the agitation. You have spent several thousands on a vacation, something many people take just once a year, and you get sick because someone does not practice basic hygiene. I can't even begin to fathom how an adult still sneezes into their hands and then touches things without knowing, or caring, how that can effect other people.  

I have no idea what women are like, but as a guy, I see a very high percentage of men leave the public bathrooms without washing their hands..  In the end though, all you can do is protect yourself. Learn to stop touching your face so much, after getting your food from the buffet, sanitize your hands before eating etc..

you are correct in that we spend a lot of hard earned money to go on vacation, but i wonder what those who complain would do if they came down with a slight cough or runny nose?

would they

A.... cancel trip as their slight sniffle may infect all others?

B...if already on ship quarantine themselves therefor missing out on all the entertainment and various ports?

or C...  pop a few pills and get on with it simply because they have paid for a vacation and a slight cough, sniffle or runny nose isn't going to stop them even though the infection could worsen and infect others?

my monies on the C, 

10 minutes ago, LetsTryThisTech said:

It seems like at this point the best defence cruise lines could do is to no longer allow passengers to get the items on their own but rather have a staff member dish out the food. Its a lot easier to control that in my opinion.

Some lines do this already.  I have heard from others that Holland America does...

11 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Some lines do this already.  I have heard from others that Holland America does...

Hopefully the others catch on. I honestly think it would be a lot cheaper and better publicity to have someone there at all times then have to clean the whole ship because there was a huge outbreak. I know it still wouldn't stop it but would greatly reduce it.

3 minutes ago, LetsTryThisTech said:

Hopefully the others catch on. I honestly think it would be a lot cheaper and better publicity to have someone there at all times then have to clean the whole ship because there was a huge outbreak. I know it still wouldn't stop it but would greatly reduce it.

I agree.  I would not mind at all if I could not pick up my own food at the buffets.  I find in recent years, I have preferred the MDR instead for this exact reason.  However, the rest of my family still prefers the buffets so there's no avoiding it.