Jamaica declares limited state of emergency

Safety is of course something to be concerned with.  Unfortunately, this happens every year or two in Jamaica.  While it's always good to keep these things in mind, I like to remind people of a few things:

1) Cruise lines have no incentive to put anyone in danger.  Quite the opposite.

2) The majority of people in any given country with security concerns wake up, go to work/school, come home, rinse, and repeat.

3) Problems like this are generally related to internal political issues, and as such, are rather isolated from touristy areas.

4) For perspective, The United Arab Emirates, Bahamas, France, United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand and Germany all have or have recently had warnings issues to it's citizens with regard to travel to the United States of America.

As when going anywhere, maintain situational awareness, don't venture off the beaten path, etc.  Among the best ways of staying safe anywhere are to stay with organized groups where businesses have a vested interest in ensuring your safety, and are run by locals familiar with any concerns.

First, the limited state of emergency is in St. James near Montego Bay...not Falmouth where RC docks.

I'm copying my response from other post in regards to Jamaica...

Most tours are near Ocho Rios which not where the travel warning is issued. If you read the travel advisory, it recommends not to go to Kingston, Montego Bay and Spanish cities.  There are quite a few resorts in Montego Bay and I think those resorts are who are most affected plus the ships that dock there.

Also, if you look at the country as a whole it is a Level 2 advisory...the same as Mexico (Mexico has more "do not go" cities).  By the way, Level 2 is Exercise Increased Caution.

RC will skip the port if they feel it is unsafe. I think in recent years they skipped and replaced Turkey. Also, Labadee was cancelled for about a month due to political protests last year.

Even if they go, you can decide to stay on the ship if you feel unsafe. I've been there and loved it and we are looking forward to going back in November but would look at the political environment and make a decision at the time.  

1 hour ago, monorailmedic said:

4) For perspective, The United Arab Emirates, Bahamas, France, United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand and Germany all have or have recently had warnings issues to it's citizens with regard to travel to the United States of America.

..bottom line is I'd strongly recommend you read the actual travel alert first and then compare it to other travel alerts like those listed above and Mexico to have some perspective on how these travel alerts work.  That being said it is ultimately your decision to go on an excursion or not.  

23 minutes ago, melski94 said:

..bottom line is I'd strongly recommend you read the actual travel alert first and then compare it to other travel alerts like those listed above and Mexico to have some perspective on how these travel alerts work.  That being said it is ultimately your decision to go on an excursion or not.  

Agreed.  My point wasn't to suggest they're all the same and probably could have made a better point of that.  Many people are understandably spooked by these advisories, though they don't inherently mean that someplace is categorically unsafe.  I bow to your better explanation. :-)