Travel Advisory - Jamaica

cwtom009

And most tours are near Ocho Rios which is on the other side. If you read the travel advisory, it recommends not to go to Kingston, Montego Bay and Spanish cities.  There are quite a few resorts in Montego Bay and I think those resorts are who are most affected plus the ships that dock there.

Also, if you look at the country as a whole it is a Level 2 advisory...the same as Mexico (Mexico has more "do not go" cities).  By the way, Level 2 is Exercise Increased Caution.

RC will skip the port if they feel it is unsafe. I think in recent years they skipped and replaced Turkey. Also, Labadee was cancelled for about a month due to political protests last year.

Even if they go, you can decide to stay on the ship if you feel unsafe. I've been there and loved it and we are looking forward to going back in November but would look at the political environment and make a decision at the time.   

1 hour ago, cwtom009 said:

I'm just wondering, due to travel advisory to Jamaica, will they divert the ships to a different port? We have a stop in Falmouth and not sure what other port could handle an Oasis class ship if they did divert? 

Welcome aboard! The port in Falmouth has a very large shopping area that is fenced in and very safe. There is even a Margaritaville also that offers free wifi. If you are adventurous and do not mind being constantly badgered by street salemen in a "shanty town" environment, then take a step outside of the gate towards downtown Falmouth. We preferred to stay within the fence where it was a lot cleaner. Or, you can always stay on board and enjoy the ship's amenities.:27_sunglasses:

9 hours ago, melski94 said:

And most tours are near Ocho Rios which is on the other side. If you read the travel advisory, it recommends not to go to Kingston, Montego Bay and Spanish cities.  There are quite a few resorts in Montego Bay and I think those resorts are who are most affected plus the ships that dock there.

Also, if you look at the country as a whole it is a Level 2 advisory...the same as Mexico (Mexico has more "do not go" cities).  By the way, Level 2 is Exercise Increased Caution.

RC will skip the port if they feel it is unsafe. I think in recent years they skipped and replaced Turkey. Also, Labadee was cancelled for about a month due to political protests last year.

Even if they go, you can decide to stay on the ship if you feel unsafe. I've been there and loved it and we are looking forward to going back in November but would look at the political environment and make a decision at the time.   

We are Canadian and our level of advisory to Jamaica is “exercise extreme high caution” which is same for parts of Mexico (not Cozumel). 

3 minutes ago, cwtom009 said:

We’ve been to Falmouth before on this same ship and itinerary and decided to stay on the ship to be safe (I have a little one). I was just wondering, if there are alternate ports close by. 

Ocho Rios/Magan's Bay is about a 90 minute drive and sees many cruise ships, but RCI doesn't generally sail there (as they and a few others, including DCL helped work out a deal to build up and sail to Falmouth).  

The cruise port of Falmouth is arguably an extremely safe place for the same reason that I don't love it - it's a guarded mall.  It is as much Jamaica as Labadee is Haiti.  It's separated from reality and the rest of Falmouth, the only difference is you can't leave Labadee, but you can, as a passenger, go between the Falmouth cruise port and the rest of the city. 

On 1/21/2018 at 7:02 AM, cwtom009 said:

I'm just wondering, due to travel advisory to Jamaica, will they divert the ships to a different port? We have a stop in Falmouth and not sure what other port could handle an Oasis class ship if they did divert? 

My wife is worried about the same thing. I believe the area we are in is safe. I think we OK. Our excursion will be to the Bamboo Beach Club. That's a drive, but it's Falmouth, not Montego Bay. I believe the violence is around Montego Bay. On the other hand, should I pack weaponry?

21 hours ago, UkuleleCruiser said:

My wife is worried about the same thing. I believe the area we are in is safe. I think we OK. Our excursion will be to the Bamboo Beach Club. That's a drive, but it's Falmouth, not Montego Bay. I believe the violence is around Montego Bay. On the other hand, should I pack weaponry?

lol !

If you going to Bambo Beach Club you should rather bring water shoes - shooting at the rocks on the beach provides very little relief to your feet

On 1/24/2018 at 11:37 AM, Cez said:

lol !

If you going to Bambo Beach Club you should rather bring water shoes - shooting at the rocks on the beach provides very little relief to your feet

Wondered about that. We were mostly going to sit in the uncomfortable beach chairs and complain to each other about the service. For that, my sandals would do. But if we venture into the sea, I will need to score some water shoes...

I wish I could say these comments made me feel safe. I do not go on vacations to feel uneasy, I go to relax. That’s why I do not go on excursions in Mexico. Now there are two ports on this itinerary where I will not get off ship. WHY GO!  US Travisory states “ sexual assaults occur frequently, even at resort areas”  What guarantee do you have the other side of island will not be impacted now are later. I am canceling my carribian cruise May 13 unless Royal Carribian offers incentives or changes ports of call  or guarantees my safety on excursions . 

Sounds like you belong on a land resort or board a ship that is permanently docked. Why do you think they call it a cruise. The only characteristic distinguishing cruises regardless of cruise line is the ports of call. The fares are also predicated on the ports you visit. This allows you to enjoy the excursions and the different cultures. Normally without concern for your safety.

23 minutes ago, Lee said:

Sounds like you belong on a land resort or board a ship that is permanently docked. Why do you think they call it a cruise. The only characteristic distinguishing cruises regardless of cruise line is the ports of call. The fares are also predicated on the ports you visit. This allows you to enjoy the excursions and the different cultures. Normally without concern for your safety.

First of all , welcome to the boards :12_slight_smile:

Secondly, there is a safety risk no matter where you go, land based or on a cruise.  And no cruise that you go on are the ports guaranteed.  They hold the right to change ports even at the last minute.

And last but not least, like @tonyfsu21 mentioned, for many of us, the ship is the destination in some cases.  Depending on which ship you go on, even if you did not get off the ship, there are many activities to keep you busy all day.  In fact, staying on the ship is sometimes a much more relaxing way to spend your day.

20 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

In fact, staying on the ship is sometimes a much more relaxing way to spend your day.

I agree, don't cancel your cruise, enjoy the ship! that's the destination for most of us, the ports are just icing on the cake. Or if the itinerary you are currently booked on, check out other cruises for the same time period.  

14 hours ago, Lee said:

I wish I could say these comments made me feel safe. I do not go on vacations to feel uneasy, I go to relax. That’s why I do not go on excursions in Mexico. Now there are two ports on this itinerary where I will not get off ship. WHY GO!  US Travisory states “ sexual assaults occur frequently, even at resort areas”  What guarantee do you have the other side of island will not be impacted now are later. I am canceling my carribian cruise May 13 unless Royal Carribian offers incentives or changes ports of call  or guarantees my safety on excursions .

Seriously, you are expecting Royal Caribbean to assign you a bodyguard while on excursion ? Just stay with your group and tour guide and you should be OK.

Call me crazy risk-taker but two weeks ago we left Allure in  Falmouth and went on excursion to Ocho Rios and Bambo Beach. Happy to report that locals did not line-up to sexually assault us, but maybe it was a pure luck.

But in Cozumel OMG - we walked to downtown ( :60_sweat: too tired to walk back so we took a taxi on our way back - $8 US) ! No assaults, not even from taxi driver! Only good deals on tequila and rum  in Chedrau and Europa.

16 hours ago, Lee said:

What guarantee you will be safe at home?

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2015/crime-in-the-u.s.-2015/resource-pages/crime-clock

given these figures i think i would take my chances in Mexico or Jamaica as they look safer 

1 hour ago, Ray said:

given these figures i think i would take my chances in Mexico or Jamaica as they look safe

This is data from previous administration - old news. Obviously you didn't follow state of the union last night. But the good news is that great ideas are spreading among port of calls for Royal, so soon enough you can feel like home and as safe as home

IMG_2784.JPG

4 minutes ago, Cez said:

This is data from previous administration - old news. Obviously you didn't follow state of the union last night. But the good news is that great ideas are spreading among port of calls for Royal, so soon enough you can feel like home 

yeah the year on post gives that away also whats state of the union? not sure if we get that in UK

23 minutes ago, Cez said:

I feel your pain but for that you should blame (or thank) King George III and greed of East India Company (in short)

Didnt know we had a George the 3rd as i have no interest in english history or the royal family.

1 hour ago, Cez said:

This is data from previous administration - old news. Obviously you didn't follow state of the union last night. But the good news is that great ideas are spreading among port of calls for Royal, so soon enough you can feel like home and as safe as home

IMG_2784.JPG

Don't you love capitalism !  How cute is this ??

11 hours ago, Lee said:

I live on the water in Fort Lauderdale, so your partially right... I basically live on a ship that’s permanently docked 365 days per year. The sun shines through the large windows on the back of my home as I listen to the sounds of the cruise ships disembarking...My suggestion is to perhaps enjoy an Oasis class ship which is a destination in and of itself. Just get off the ship when you find a “safe” port of call! It’s a win/win situation.

• 4 weeks later...

We recently cruised to Montego Bay on another cruise line. Initially we were really worried about it and planned to stay onboard but decided when we docked that we weren't gonna let it ruin our time in Jamaica. We took a shuttle from the cruise port to Doctor's Cave Beach. Tons of passengers got off the ship and nobody had any issues that we heard about. My sister and her husband also recently went to a Montego Bay resort for a week and they didn't have any issues either. You should certainly heed the warnings and exercise caution, but I think you'll be fine. Just don't venture off alone and stick with guided tours. Excursions through Royal Caribbean would be a great option here because they definitely don't want anything to happen to you either.

If you have never been there before it is still worth getting off for a short while and exploring the port area that is completely fenced off and guarded. There are lots of good souvenirs and some food and drink options. If you don't feel safe getting off the ship at all there is nothing wrong with that, just stay on and enjoy having the place all to yourself. Perhaps book a discounted massage or something along those lines because they often run spa specials on port days.

On 1/21/2018 at 10:05 AM, jurrjurr said:

I'm sure RCCL is monitoring the advisory in Jamaica very closely.  They will never put their passengers in unnecessary risk.  If they change their itinerary, they will notify you via e-mail, travel agent and through their social media.  At worst, it will be another sea day.  

What exactly has become the problem with Jamaica?  Crime?  Drugs? 

On 2/27/2018 at 4:24 PM, cruiselife said:

We recently cruised to Montego Bay on another cruise line. Initially we were really worried about it and planned to stay onboard but decided when we docked that we weren't gonna let it ruin our time in Jamaica. We took a shuttle from the cruise port to Doctor's Cave Beach. Tons of passengers got off the ship and nobody had any issues that we heard about. My sister and her husband also recently went to a Montego Bay resort for a week and they didn't have any issues either. You should certainly heed the warnings and exercise caution, but I think you'll be fine. Just don't venture off alone and stick with guided tours. Excursions through Royal Caribbean would be a great option here because they definitely don't want anything to happen to you either.

If you have never been there before it is still worth getting off for a short while and exploring the port area that is completely fenced off and guarded. There are lots of good souvenirs and some food and drink options. If you don't feel safe getting off the ship at all there is nothing wrong with that, just stay on and enjoy having the place all to yourself. Perhaps book a discounted massage or something along those lines because they often run spa specials on port days.

I end up in Kingston once or twice a year for business and that's where it gets really sketchy. I haven't personally had any issues (lets just say...I blend in well), but have seen some sketchy things going on. I like Kingston, but wouldn't recommend it to anyone who wants to enjoy Jamaica from a tourist's perspective!