Baby questions

Greetings all!  We'll be on Brilliance of the Seas in March, our first cruise with a child.  He'll be 1yr old (a fresh 12 months), and we have a couple questions.  First off, a few have been answered via the forum, and podcast, so thank you to all.  These following questions are the leftovers.

1.  Does anyone have experience with taking a 1yr old (or close) to dinner in the MDR?  Is it allowed?  Should we even attempt it?

2.  Does the nursery still cost extra?  If so, how much?

3.  In general...any tips or suggestions for cruising with a baby.  I'll be searching the forum and reading up on previous posts, over the next month.

4.  We'll be in a JS (for double points, and to see if the extra space works well), and if I remember correctly, they have bathtubs...yes?  Our little guy loves bath tub time, but will be fine with just a shower too.

Thanks!

While I haven't cruised with an infant (youngest was 3 at the time), I'll attempt to answer some questions.

1.  Yes, infants are welcome. The staff tends to love infants as most of them have families at home. Make sure you or your TA ask for a high chair.  Now the question is: do you want to take your infant? This is a personal decision and while I take my kids to MTD and restaurants in general, not everyone does. Some questions to ask yourself: How does he do in restaurants at home? Dinners can be long (90 minutes). Are you willing to just leave if he can't handle it or skip dessert? Do you have MTD so you have a table to yourself? I hope so, (if not try to get MTD) you can try to manage the speed of your order.  Also, you may have to decide on dinner on a daily basis...did he take a good nap and can handle dinner or not?  Another suggestion is to use nursery hours for quiet dinners some nights and other nights eat as a family in the Windjammer (there is a great recent post about dinner in the Windjammer).

2.  Yes, the nursery costs extra. Not sure how much but I've read you need to sign up for limited hours (15?) on a first come basis. After your initial hours, you can sign up for more if available on your sailing.

3.  Infants won't be allowed in pools (must be potty trained).  Bring an inflatable pool and fill with water on your balcony. Bring all food, extra diapers, etc. Make sure you bring medicine.

4. Yes, bathtubs in Jr suites.

As a mom of 4, the biggest key to a great vacation with kids is to be flexible. You may have the best plans for a perfect vacation but your little one will have other ideas. Just go with the flow and you'll have a great time.

On 1/20/2018 at 8:31 PM, RestingBirds said:

Does anyone have experience with taking a 1yr old (or close) to dinner in the MDR?  Is it allowed?  Should we even attempt it?

It is absolutely allowed, and you are welcome to bring all children to MDR.  A high chair will be provided, along with a special kids menu.

Your waiter can also be flexible and bring foods your kid may want, like extra fruit.

Does the nursery still cost extra?  If so, how much?

Yes, there is. $6/hour during the day and $8/night. Best money you will spend on a RC ship!

In general...any tips or suggestions for cruising with a baby.  I'll be searching the forum and reading up on previous posts, over the next month.

Listen to this podcast: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/podcast/episode-180-guide-cruising-young-children-royal-caribbean

We'll be in a JS (for double points, and to see if the extra space works well), and if I remember correctly, they have bathtubs...yes?

Correct

2 hours ago, RestingBirds said:

I'm catching up on the podcasts and I've heard some great tips, but I haven't made it to episode 180 yet, so I'll jump ahead and give that a listen.

No worries, the only spoiler is @monorailmedic was bitten by a zombie in season 4 of the podcast.