Has anyone cruised after having surgery?

Lauren

First and foremost, I am asking if anyone has any experience with this, we have and will continue to consult with the doctors before making a final decision. Surprise,  surprise ! My husband had quadruple bypass surgery today. We are set to sail on Anthem Feb. 17th. Has anyone sailed shortly after heart surgery and would you do it again under the same circumstances or just cancel? We are too close to cancel and do not have travel insurance. He said he still wants to go. We are driving, not flying, to the terminal, have no active excursions or activities planned. Switched him to the refreshment package. He says there is no better place for him to just kick back and relax and that is true, he will have a hard time NOT doing things at home. If we could reschedule, I would, but RC won't budge and let us push it out a couple months. 

My sister-in-law cruised after having foot surgery.  She was in a walking boot, so mobility was a little bit of an issue, but it was their first cruise, and they loved it.  My mom cruised less than a week after chemo.  She couldn't cancel either because it was too close.  I told her if there is any vacation where she can relax after chemo, it was a cruise.  It obviously wasn't her best cruise, but she did have a good time.  If the doctor gives you the okay, I say go!  Have a great cruise!

First, if you bought with a credit card, check to see if your credit card covers you for trip cancellation for non-preexisting medical conditions. Mine does.

Second, it's only a cruise. Only from my opinion and experience with others with cardiac issues...what you need to evaluate is RISK. While they have great medical facilities on a ship, they are NOT equipped to handle post-op complications.

1 hour ago, Gears said:

what you need to evaluate is RISK. While they have great medical facilities on a ship, they are NOT equipped to handle post-op complications.

I would be greatly concerned about the chance of some infections setting in. :27_sunglasses:

I have a hard time believing any doctor is going to be excited about him, 1 month post CABG, jumping on a cruise ship and leaving the country.  If anything went wrong and he had complications, the delay in receiving the expert care he would require would have a high probability of an extremely poor outcome.  The timing stinks of course, but it would be risky.  In saying that, his doctor is the only one that has all the details of his care, so follow their recommendations.

I am not sure how it works with USA medical insurance, but our provincial health insurance plans do not cover much outside of Canada.  So it is highly recommended to purchase emergency travel insurance for us Canadians.  

Assuming he gets the OK from his Doctor to travel, I would not leave the country without any travel medical insurance.  Most plans will have a stability clause so I would research plans that insures pre-existing conditions with no stability period.  My FIL had an angioplasty and his insurance company would not insure his pre-existing conditions until it has been at least six weeks after the procedure.  

Warm humid climate causes a lot of stress to the respiratory system and consequently the heart has to work harder as well.