Travel steamer

whitsmom

27 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

We use the "hang it up when you take a shower" method.  Works great and it's free!

??????????? Can you explain the proper procedures for this please? just so my wife knows what to do while im at the bar :8_laughing:

• 4 weeks later...

I have a travel steamer I have taken on 15 cruises and it has never been confiscated. It is shaped differently and I don't think they know it is a steamer. This isn't exactly it, but it looks similar.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Norelco-Travel-Care-Fabric-Steamer-Wrinkle-Remover-w-Carry-Pouch/162895644320?hash=item25ed5646a0:g:tdoAAOSwp7tafmRl

On 1/18/2018 at 2:19 PM, twangster said:

Hot shower, hang clothes, close bathroom door.  Works better with wrinkle release applied first.  Oh and BTW, real men do it too.  :8_laughing:

Hang clothes *in the bathroom* (but not in the shower where they will get wet).  It doesn't work if the clothes are in the closet, hallway, balcony, etc.

3 minutes ago, Orange Crush said:

Hang clothes *in the bathroom* (but not in the shower where they will get wet).  It doesn't work if the clothes are in the closet, hallway, balcony, etc.

The policy is no wet bathing suites in the dining rooms.  Wet shower clothes are not addressed in the dining or formal night policy.  

59 minutes ago, Ari said:

You have to get the Presteam Packs that steam your clothes for you. 

I see the guy running that Kickstarter is also named Ari.  Must be a total coincidence that you are posting nothing but messages praising it :19_kissing: 

Pretty sure repackaged Flameless Ration Heaters are not allowed on cruise ships.

3 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

Or if wrinkles bother you that much, send them out and get them pressed, they usually run a special pressing price during most cruises.

Just spend a little coin...

Wonder, has anyone ever taken some stuff off the ship and got them cleaned/pressed off the ship? It's something I have thought of recently but never needed to try it.

Most of my clothes are cotton and I iron them before the cruise.  I hang them on hangers and put them together as outfits and cover them with a dry cleaner bag.  Once I didn't have enough dry cleaner bags, so I used a couple of black large garbage bags.  The bags keep the clothes from getting wrinkled and this method makes for easy unpacking.

16 hours ago, LetsTryThisTech said:

Wonder, has anyone ever taken some stuff off the ship and got them cleaned/pressed off the ship? It's something I have thought of recently but never needed to try it.

At one of the ports of call?  I suppose you could if you really wanted to, but it seems like that would be a lot of hassle.  The ship has facilities to do it for you and the pricing isn't outrageous, so I'm not sure how much you'd potentially save.  And then you've gotta find a reputable dry cleaner, arrange to get the articles over to them, and make sure they (or you) can get it back to the ship before departing, and you've got to contend with the roundtrip through security, maybe a customs checkpoint... :42_confused:

38 minutes ago, Orange Crush said:

At one of the ports of call?  I suppose you could if you really wanted to, but it seems like that would be a lot of hassle.  The ship has facilities to do it for you and the pricing isn't outrageous, so I'm not sure how much you'd potentially save.  And then you've gotta find a reputable dry cleaner, arrange to get the articles over to them, and make sure they (or you) can get it back to the ship before departing, and you've got to contend with the roundtrip through security, maybe a customs checkpoint... :42_confused:

I don't like the ships facilities last time I had them do it, they destroyed all my stuff. :40_rage: Their equipment is too harsh. So I just do without or would think to try this. I know here we have services that can be done in an hour so would be easy enough to arrange with time constraints. I am not saying everything, but if you had a couple things you needed should be easy enough I would think. 

• 1 year later...

Hello My Fellow Cruise Travelers:

If you get HSN (home shopping network) where you live, go online or call their customer service 800 number and order the electricity free steamer pouches. I just ordered it specifically to carry when I cruise. It comes with 2 garment bags, shirt length and dress length plus 5 steamer packs. The way it works is to rip pouch, fill with water to water line, place in bottom of garment bag with your hanging garment, zip up. Come back 10 minutes later and have a wrinkle free garment. The HSN item # is 675-365 InstaSteam Electricity-Free & Hands Free Clothing Steamer and it costs $32.95 before tax and shipping. By the way, I would still spray my garment with the Downey wrinkle release spray as an added measure. 

On 2/15/2018 at 4:11 PM, LetsTryThisPlace said:

Were you planning to do this at the ports of call?  This is just me but I think that’s a lot of hassle for someone on vacation.

Interesting concept.  Comes out to $2-$3 per garment.  Cheaper on Amazon.

On one hand it says TSA Approved but digging deeper it states "Although InstaSteam is not completely TSA approved yet, it is not restricted by TSA"

I'd still like to see a cruise line state it's approved.  Anyone can claim something is allowed on a ship, companies do it all the time with outlets that are still banned on ships.  

@Matt @twangster I completely agree with you about companies making stuff up, but I personally and my friends and family have used InstaSteam multiple times on different cruise lines. I know that because InstaSteam is electricity free  and non flammable, that its allowed. Also if you ask the company or look around they working with a couple main cruise lines at the moment that said they allow it.