Track

2 minutes ago, strait88fan said:

Does anyone know how many times you need to go around the track before you hit 1 mile??

It depends on the ship. They are not all the same, even in the same class. It's usually written on the track somewhere.

But that does not include hurdling lounge chairs with people laying on them across the track...or stopping for a Margarita.

Many ships have deck 4/5 which are awesome for walking the circumference of the ship instead of the top deck.

I understand on a Voyager class ship you need to complete 5 laps to complete 1 mile.and on an Oasis class it is 2 laps that need to be completed.

i also read that on Oasis it is on deck 5 and it is all under cover but I haven’t been on one myself.

2 hours ago, F1guynz said:

I understand on a Voyager class ship you need to complete 5 laps to complete 1 mile.and on an Oasis class it is 2 laps that need to be completed.

i also read that on Oasis it is on deck 5 and it is all under cover but I haven’t been on one myself.

What you read about Oasis is factual.

distance-running-track-Oasis-of-the-Seas

Is it actually possible to "run" around the tracks or are there too many obstacles/people about? Assume the later in the day you leave it the busier the deck would be etc? 

My thinking is if i do a good few laps before breakfast it would make me feel slightly less guilty about the huge breakfast i'm about to have :15_yum:

3 minutes ago, Wilmsta said:

Is it actually possible to "run" around the tracks or are there too many obstacles/people about? Assume the later in the day you leave it the busier the deck would be etc? 

My thinking is if i do a good few laps before breakfast it would make me feel slightly less guilty about the huge breakfast i'm about to have :15_yum:

Morning are quite easy.  Most ships have it marked one side for walkers, one for runners.  Mid-day on sea days would be a tough run, better to jog in place.   

The early bird gets the worm, and the jogging track.

Guest toodle68

For running, you should use the top deck and mornings and evenings are the only time you can run realistically. 

For all ships we have been on, we walk/jog on deck 4. It is much longer, less crowded and also has steps for extra exercise.. and you can stop on the bow for a great view and sounds of the water.  I have tried several times to find out the distance on deck 4 but keep forgetting to measure it whilst in port and gps is working.  You can also run on deck 4, but I think they post about not doing this early mornings and late evenings due to the noise for the cabins below.

56 minutes ago, toodle68 said:

For running, you should use the top deck and mornings and evenings are the only time you can run realistically. 

You're advice is correct, with the exception of the Oasis class. Their deck 4 is the running track

2 hours ago, Wilmsta said:

Just take the elevator to deck 2 and walk up the stairs to the windjammer, then you won't feel guilty. ? Problem solved ?

I managed to get some good runs in while on board Harmony over Thanksgiving.  I ran in the morning.  There were quite a few people on the track but for the most part fellow runners/walkers were courteous. Occasionally you'd get a group of walkers who would  take up the width of the track, encompassing both the running and walking lanes, but a loud "on your left" before passing using solved that problem. I enjoyed the track.  For the most part it is covered so you aren't dealing with wind or sun (like on say a Carnival ship with a top level running track), but there are some open spots to take in the surroundings.  I put my cell phone in a running belt on port days and got some good photos of the ship pulling into port.

Guest toodle68
41 minutes ago, mworkman said:

Just take the elevator to deck 2 and walk up the stairs to the windjammer, then you won't feel guilty. ? Problem solved ?

A slight mod to this which I have done a few times..  walk up the stairs 1 deck, then walk to the other end of the ship, up 1 deck, then walk back to the other end.. That way you only ever do 1 flight of stairs.