6-Night New England and Canada from NJ

JLMoran

As alluded to in my last post, my wife said she'd like to do this itinerary in 2019, on Adventure of the Seas, as her belated 50th birthday trip. I was trying to gently persuade her towards the longer 10-night open jaw option in the fall, but she's concerned about total cost with the need for a flight home on top of the cruise fare, so for now this is it.

She's looking to go at the end of May. For those here who live in or near either Saint John, NB or Halifax (I'm especially looking at you, @Jerel!), is late May still fairly cold? Are there any "must see" places that are harder to get to or closed at that time versus later in the season? Any chance of seeing the Northern Lights in late May, or still too far south? The itinerary also runs in June, July, and August; so if there's a better time of year to do this trip, please let me know so I can relay.

Looking to make this booking fairly soon so we can get a good pair of cabins; I actually found a connecting JS and balcony room on the hump, I think it was on deck 9, and would like to snag that if possible so at least she gets to travel in a little style. For the May sailing, the cost difference right now between that and two connecting balcony rooms was about $400 when I checked just now, which seems pretty reasonable for the JS upgrade (+$66/night). I had also checked a late June (over July 4) sailing, and there the difference was closer to $900, so depending on what I hear as far as whether May is a workable date, I'll adjust the room selection as needed.

Thanks, all!

4 hours ago, JLMoran said:

As alluded to in my last post, my wife said she'd like to do this itinerary in 2019, on Adventure of the Seas, as her belated 50th birthday trip. I was trying to gently persuade her towards the longer 10-night open jaw option in the fall, but she's concerned about total cost with the need for a flight home on top of the cruise fare, so for now this is it.

She's looking to go at the end of May. For those here who live in or near either Saint John, NB or Halifax (I'm especially looking at you, @Jerel!), is late May still fairly cold? Are there any "must see" places that are harder to get to or closed at that time versus later in the season? Any chance of seeing the Northern Lights in late May, or still too far south? The itinerary also runs in June, July, and August; so if there's a better time of year to do this trip, please let me know so I can relay.

Looking to make this booking fairly soon so we can get a good pair of cabins; I actually found a connecting JS and balcony room on the hump, I think it was on deck 9, and would like to snag that if possible so at least she gets to travel in a little style. For the May sailing, the cost difference right now between that and two connecting balcony rooms was about $400 when I checked just now, which seems pretty reasonable for the JS upgrade (+$66/night). I had also checked a late June (over July 4) sailing, and there the difference was closer to $900, so depending on what I hear as far as whether May is a workable date, I'll adjust the room selection as needed.

Thanks, all!

@monctonguy will probably have some good insight on this too Joe...

1 hour ago, Boston Babe said:

http://www.holiday-weather.com/halifax/averages/  July the warmest, at 65F, 50 in May 

Thanks for that link! 50F average is definitely chilly, but not far off from what we're used to here in NJ at that time of year. I didn't realize that even in July it only got to the mid-60s, though it certainly makes sense. But all those pics I've seen of people at the beaches there in swimsuits threw me off.

I guess it's like when my BIL lived in Minnesota in his youth -- the thermometer hit 40, and everyone who'd been living there for their whole lives got their shorts out of storage. :4_joy:

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:25 PM, JLMoran said:

Thanks for that link! 50F average is definitely chilly, but not far off from what we're used to here in NJ at that time of year. I didn't realize that even in July it only got to the mid-60s, though it certainly makes sense. But all those pics I've seen of people at the beaches there in swimsuits threw me off.

I guess it's like when my BIL lived in Minnesota in his youth -- the thermometer hit 40, and everyone who'd been living there for their whole lives got their shorts out of storage. :4_joy:

That is cool and I am not sure how accurate...I live about 2.5 hrs inland from Halifax..and I would say out average temps in July and August are about 75-85 with some days topping out at 95.....while Halifax by the water would be cooler, I would think its normally in at least the high 70's during the summer mths......

I took a look back at 2017 with Accuweather...avg temps for July/August would be about 80..some days into the 90's, some into the 70s.....but in the 60's is defn not the norm in my 20+ years living in the Maritimes...

As for info about Saint John or Halifax......feel free to ask away. I am just over an hr away from Saint John, 2.5 from Halifax and 1.5 from Charlottetown which are all busy ports for the NE/Canada cruise schedules.

Thanks for the info, @monctonguy! And also the offer to ask about whatever down the line. My wife still hasn't decided on a date that she wants to go and has asked me to back off pestering her about it for the time being, so away I've backed. But once we have a date picked and cabins booked, I'll definitely take you up on that and start peppering you with questions! :3_grin: :10_wink:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also doing some preliminary research on this cruise.  

My wife has been a good sport for our first three, all to the Caribbean (where I'd happily go every time!), but I think she would really love to see New England and Canada.

I'd love to go in the late summer, but with us living on the SC coast, I'm a little concerned about a hurricane heading this way and not being home.