Royal iQ app question

Lauren

Could be a few different reasons.

1. Your phone and your tablet run different versions of Android and RC didn't flag the app as being compatible with the version of Android on your tablet.

2. RC deliberately marked the app as not compatible with tablets because they (or most likely the firm they outsourced the development to) developed it with a phone interface in mind and didn't design a tablet-friendly user interface.

3. Tablets usually don't have the voice and texting capabilities that a phone has. When you build an Android app, you mark it as whether the voice and texting capabilities are required. If RC marked them as required (or more likely forgot to mark them as not required) you won't be able to install it on your tablet. Even if you could force the app to install on your tablet, if the app assumes that voice and text capabilities are present, it will pretty quickly crash.

The RoyalIQ will eventually be replaced by the new Royal Caribbean app.  The new app is likely where all development efforts are being focused.  

RC may do some minor maintenance on the RoyalIQ app to keep it going but it is unlikely they will put a lot of effort into the app to keep it working on every new version or device that comes to market.  

The RoyalIQ app is pretty terrible.  In my experience on Anthem reserving dinner doesn't work.  What good is a feature in an app if it doesn't actually work?  They should probably just kill the RoyalIQ app now.

Two weeks before my last sailing I altered some MTD reservation in the cruise planner.  Those changes never were reflected in the RoyalIQ app on board - it had my original reservations but when I asked the MTD hostess on board they had my new and correct reservations for MTD.  The app never did.

A lot of the time even established dinner reservations don't show up in the app calendar and if you cancel a reservation you made on land it never really looks you did but canceling works.  Attempting to book dining in place of a cancelled reservation doesn't work.  Mid way through a 12 night cruise it wouldn't show Ripcord or North Star reservations and I had to ask the My Time hostess when my dinner reservations were for the rest of cruise were.

The RoyalIQ is so unreliable for my Anthem cruise next week I've printed my calendar out on paper to take with me.

You aren't missing much not using the RoyalIQ app.

Dummy me downloaded the Royal app, not the Royal IQ app....no wonder why I couldnt get it to work, like what was being discussed.  Who's the dummy now! LOL ?The Royal IQ app doesn't work on Serenade, also what was discussed previously. ? I'll go sit in the corner quietly for now. Now my Gold status is showing how much I know...more like what I don't know. ?

27 minutes ago, mworkman said:

Dummy me downloaded the Royal app, not the Royal IQ app....no wonder why I couldnt get it to work, like what was being discussed.  Who's the dummy now! LOL ?The Royal IQ app doesn't work on Serenade, also what was discussed previously. ? I'll go sit in the corner quietly for now. Now my Gold status is showing how much I know...more like what I don't know. ?

The fact that RoyalIQ doesn't work on Serenade despite this ship using the new 'upload your photo before' boarding process which is Quantum class and Harmony like BUT the new Royal app does support Serenade in its current limited form goes to show RoyalIQ's day are numbered.  

Makes a lot of sense to pick a middle of the pack ship to trial the new app integration before rolling it out fleet wide.  I'm hoping for some more features before March but who knows?

Hey Royal - need a beta tester on Serenade in March?   :9_innocent:

Thanks everyone, the reasons I wanted to get the app on my tablet and not just my phone were:

1. To be able to see my cruise calendar on a larger screen, but it sounds like I probably won't be able to see it anyway. I will be sure to go old-school and print it out and if I get really energetic, I can add it all to my google calendar.

2. Get a reservation for the puzzle/escape room when we board

3. Change the date/time for my Northstar reservation and

4. Try to get earlier times for MTD.

We are also considering using the text feature. We got the Voom for 1 device, but there are 4 of us, 2 iPhones, 2 androids. 

FYI we are cruising 8 nights on Anthem, February 17th-25th.

23 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Thanks everyone, the reasons I wanted to get the app on my tablet and not just my phone were:

1. To be able to see my cruise calendar on a larger screen, but it sounds like I probably won't be able to see it anyway. I will be sure to go old-school and print it out and if I get really energetic, I can add it all to my google calendar.

2. Get a reservation for the puzzle/escape room when we board

3. Change the date/time for my Northstar reservation and

4. Try to get earlier times for MTD.

We are also considering using the text feature. We got the Voom for 1 device, but there are 4 of us, 2 iPhones, 2 androids. 

FYI we are cruising 8 nights on Anthem, February 17th-25th.

Anthem is great ship, I'm back on in 6 days.

I add reminders to my phone.  Fall back.

As soon as you board go to Boleros and ask the "Box Office" folks set up there on a temporary basis to do last minute reservations for anything like Games/NorthStar/iFly.

Visit a restaurant next and ask for MTD changes. 

Do both quickly after boarding to ensure best choices of time.

One thing to be aware of I've heard from guests on many different cruise lines where there is a cruise line app that does texting - many devices go to sleep when the screen is locked.  This to save battery.  Native texting apps can wake up wifi and check for new messages.  Apps that aren't part of the native operating system don't often have that ability - they can't wake up the system to look for new messages until you launch them.  This often leads to people complaining it doesn't work well when in fact it's the operating system that limits what apps can do in sleep or lock mode.