Sailing out of Cape Liberty, NJ in winter?

Mike_

Has anyone sailed out of Bayone/NYC in winter?   I assume it would be very cold for a passage, at least at the beginning... what is that experience like?   I assume it would make a b-line for the gulf of mexico current asap, to help warm things up on the way to the Caribbean, but it can't make it that warm.  

Just interested in the experience, and if it makes sense to leave from there in the winter months.  I live near Philadelphia and Cape Liberty is under 100 miles away from me.   However, I always thought it was better to fly to Fl, or PR so it was warm right away and I could reach further into the Caribbean without the time steaming down the coast.

Let me know,

Thanks,

Mike_

I guess then, by extension, the last couple of days are cool to cold, too.

I had considered a Thanksgiving cruise out of New York for last year, but decided against it for a number of reasons, one of which was that a significant part of the cruise's sea days would be chilly outside, and this was on a (non-RCI) ship with lots of outdoor activities.

Yes, on an eight day cruise, seven of which you are on vacation, four days would be cold?

My first cruise I chose a small ship on purpose, but in reviewing the blogs podcasts and posts I want to try out one of these Quantum size ships... and they both seem to leave from Cape Liberty... but I usually take my cruises in February. :(. I guess I will have to switch things up.

Thanks,

Mike_

• 7 months later...

Our first three cruises were out of Bayonne - simply because we could drive from Ontario - in January and February.  Matt (as usual) was right on the money.  Sail Away - a tad "nippy" especially as we hit the open ocean breezes.  Not cold enough however to keep us Crazy Cunucks out of the hot tub at midnight!  Being from Philly - you can handle it!  the drive in through whatever Mother Nature chooses to send is much worse than what you'll find on the ship (although I do remember one day  the captain saying at the end of the morning announcements that everyone should TRY and have a good day lol). Day 1 was long sleeves and pants, maybe a light jacket if the wind was up by afternoon into T-shirts and shorts for Day 2 and Day 3 we were soaking up the rays in our bathing suits. On the trip home it was usually only 2 full days back (depending on the itinerary you would get either 3 day and 2 back or 2 down and 3 back  Two years in a row we had winter storms going out and coming home so he seas could be a little rough (ok 21 feet is a little more rock and roll then rough) but if you don't get seasick easy, you'll be fine.  We'd be going out of Bayonne still if the cruises were cheaper.  On the new ships it's cheaper to fly to a warmer port and sail from there then pay the price of the newer ships but I miss the sea days  :(