Personal Wine

Rdhoffe

Yes, by the glass.  I have shatterproof stemless wine glasses (plastic) that I pack as well.

Often I'll have a glass of wine I've bought on board and re-use that glass, filled in my cabin then carried around.  

I bring one of those small TSA approved 2oz shampoo type travel sized containers filled with dish soap to wash my glasses and personal water bottle I also bring.  

If I am going on or near the pool deck I'm careful to use plastic only.  A broken glass on the pool deck or in a hot tub is a serious problem.  You can ask the pool bar for a plastic wine glass sometimes.  

9 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

So if we bring our own wine, open it ourselves we are not charged any corkage if it (the bottle) stays in our cabin)?

Correct.  I've never tried to bring a bottle of my own wine to dinner but as I understand it that is when a corkage fees applies. 

I have carried a bottle of wine to a quiet spot on the ship, sat at a table and played cards or just talked without any one stopping and asking for a corkage fee.  This when I cruise with family or friends.  Sitting at a table by yourself, talking to yourself with two glasses and a bottle of wine when solo tends to garner attention.  

13 hours ago, twangster said:

Correct.  I've never tried to bring a bottle of my own wine to dinner but as I understand it that is when a corkage fees applies. 

I have carried a bottle of wine to a quiet spot on the ship, sat at a table and played cards or just talked without any one stopping and asking for a corkage fee.  This when I cruise with family or friends.  Sitting at a table by yourself, talking to yourself with two glasses and a bottle of wine when solo tends to garner attention.  

That seems to be a quote from experience!!!

On a plus side I find a I never lose an argument when it is just me!

20 hours ago, Rdhoffe said:

Thank you!!  I’m assuming if we ask for a opener we’ll be charged the $15 fee...can we bring our own?  The wine we drink isn’t screw top. 

Your stateroom attendant can provide one for free. You're only charged the corkage fee if you bring it to a bar or restaurant to have it opened there.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know whether to laugh or just shout NO!!   I just read a post on Facebook that said if you leave an open bottle of wine in your stateroom and the cabin steward sees it, they will charge you a corkage fee. They are also recommending you never throw the empty bottles away in your cabin or the steward will charge you the corkage fee. The OP was telling people to carry the empty bottle to the nearest trash can outside their cabin and to be sure they hide the open bottle or finish it in one sitting. Now...  I, personally, am not a wine drinker, but I have to think that most people reading those posts will believe them and I will see empty wine bottles everywhere I look! :3_grin:

7 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I don't know whether to laugh or just shout NO!!   I just read a post on Facebook that said if you leave an open bottle of wine in your stateroom and the cabin steward sees it, they will charge you a corkage fee. They are also recommending you never throw the empty bottles away in your cabin or the steward will charge you the corkage fee. The OP was telling people to carry the empty bottle to the nearest trash can outside their cabin and to be sure they hide the open bottle or finish it in one sitting. Now...  I, personally, am not a wine drinker, but I have to think that most people reading those posts will believe them and I will see empty wine bottles everywhere I look! :3_grin:

Fake news. :) You can buy a bottle of wine on board (MDR for example), take it with you and leave it in your stateroom...opened.

Your stateroom is not a public area.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/charge-corkage-fee

On 1/10/2018 at 1:37 PM, twangster said:

Yes, by the glass.  I have shatterproof stemless wine glasses (plastic) that I pack as well.

Often I'll have a glass of wine I've bought on board and re-use that glass, filled in my cabin then carried around.  

I bring one of those small TSA approved 2oz shampoo type travel sized containers filled with dish soap to wash my glasses and personal water bottle I also bring.  

If I am going on or near the pool deck I'm careful to use plastic only.  A broken glass on the pool deck or in a hot tub is a serious problem.  You can ask the pool bar for a plastic wine glass sometimes.  

I've heard all about your infamous wine glass. ???

IMG_0589.JPG

But is your glass half full or half empty ?

11 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

Can you take an already opened bottle to the mdr and not pay the corkage?  Just wondering if it's the opening at mdr or having/ storing the bottle.  Jane

Like everything RC, it is open to many different policies and who among the staff follow the rules. There are a lot of people on CC saying that the wait staff in the MDR isn't charging the cork fees as they get the upset customers and after all they want good reviews and hopefully an extra tip.  Then again, there is always someone who says they were charged. Inconsistency is the norm.  

Personally, I would try it and see what happens.  

23 minutes ago, Bazza said:

Maybe I am missing something here and as a teetotal person I am obviously no expert on wine BUT if a bottle is a screw-top how can corkage be charged?!! Not a cork in sight!

When I bring wines I tend to bring screw top wines.  There are some really good ones now especially from AU and/or NZ.

I was at a nice restaurant at a marina in Chesapeake Bay one time.  Our young waitress was struggling to open the bottle we ordered fumbling with the cork screw for several minutes as she answered menu questions.  Finally I asked if she needed help with the wine.  Her relief at my offer quickly turned to embarrassment when I simply twisted the screw top off.    Poor girl...

When doing a B2B you are allowed 4 bottles of wine per cabin.  In theory they will collect 2 at security in the terminal and deliver them to your cabin when the 2nd cruise starts.  

However I found having 2 bottles in 2 different carry on bags can slip through security as long as there are many people in line for the xray machines.  Just be prepared to lug them around until cabins open. 

YMMV 

19 minutes ago, twangster said:

When doing a B2B you are allowed 4 bottles of wine per cabin.  In theory they will collect 2 at security in the terminal and deliver them to your cabin when the 2nd cruise starts.  

However I found having 2 bottles in 2 different carry on bags can slip through security as long as there are many people in line for the xray machines.  Just be prepared to lug them around until cabins open. 

YMMV 

3 B2B cruises, 2 people, 1 non-drinker - so been giving this some thought! 

And all of this planning for my wife who likes a nice red wine and nothing in it for me as the token teetotal person on the ship! Maybe I am risking walking the plank?!

Plan 1 = we go on together with the 6 bottles in total, they take 4 off us and give us 2 per cruise (i.e. stick to the 'the rules') 

Plan 2= we go with plan 1 BUT on the change over days we try to take another 2 on with us when we get back on the ship hoping somehow too busy to check we already have 2 in store for us - do they have itemised records of what we brought on 10 days earlier? @twangster @Matt @Sabrinaklai you may know?!

Plan 3 = If plan 2 works we try the same again 3 days later when getting on for the 3rd and final leg of the 27 day adventure - by now my wife should be sleeping like a baby every night!

Plan 4 = we split up on embarkation carrying 6 bottles each (2 per cruise) hoping they don't notice!!! Hmmmmm somehow think not!

image.png.05b8c20c9a081e506393a96aa873724f.png

I brought the two bottles of wine on board with me last time, and I don't recall anyone even looking at them during a security check.  Do they just run through a machine and as long as they only see two bottles they don't bother?  What if they were 2 bottles of liquor instead?  Is it luck of the draw on the security check?

39 minutes ago, Bazza said:

And all of this planning for my wife who likes a nice red wine and nothing in it for me as the token teetotal person on the ship! Maybe I am risking walking the plank?!

Plan 1 = we go on together with the 6 bottles in total, they take 4 off us and give us 2 per cruise (i.e. stick to the 'the rules') 

Plan 2= we go with plan 1 BUT on the change over days we try to take another 2 on with us when we get back on the ship hoping somehow too busy to check we already have 2 in store for us - do they have itemised records of what we brought on 10 days earlier? @twangster @Matt @Sabrinaklai you may know?!

Plan 3 = If plan 2 works we try the same again 3 days later when getting on for the 3rd and final leg of the 27 day adventure - by now my wife should be sleeping like a baby every night!

Plan 4 = we split up on embarkation carrying 6 bottles each (2 per cruise) hoping they don't notice!!! Hmmmmm somehow think not!

Important item in the bringing alcohol on board: "Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned." Sorry...missed the 'except wine part'.

You are allowed 2 bottles per stateroom when boarding. Expect any additional to be seized and not returned.

Edited by Gears

4 minutes ago, JBC said:

I brought the two bottles of wine on board with me last time, and I don't recall anyone even looking at them during a security check.  Do they just run through a machine and as long as they only see two bottles they don't bother?  What if they were 2 bottles of liquor instead?  Is it luck of the draw on the security check?

2 Bottles of wine only per stateroom. Anything else can be seized.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-alcohol-guest-policy

27 minutes ago, Bazza said:

Plan 1 is 'guaranteed'.  A modified version is have the wine split between carry on bags so maybe they don't catch it all or any if security is busy.  If all bottles are in the same bag they will notice.  I did bring the email from C&A stating I could bring 4 bottles on my B2B in case of a new security person.

Plan 2 - I've considered plan 2 but it might vary depending on cruise terminal and how consecutive cruisers are processed through security.  I've even thought about pre-printing individual SetSail passes for each cruise and presenting myself to security as if I'm just like every other new guest for 'this' sailing, then once past the x-ray machine, whipping out my consecutive cruiser SeaPass card or paper.

Plan 3 - maybe try a light version on the 2nd cruise in case you get busted.  If it works on cruise 2 (day 1) you will know what you can get away with on cruise 3 (day 1).

Plan 4 - I like plan 4 but it means lugging around a lot of wine until cabins are ready.

Plan 5 - bring me and I'll smuggle wine 6 more bottles for your wife

1 hour ago, Bazza said:

Ok, I have to ask?  How much wine do you plan on consuming in your 27 day adventure lol? 10-12 bottles?  And how much money are we looking at saving by smuggling in bottles in Plan 2 and 3?  I feel like this needs a @twangster or @JLMoran spreadsheet ? Is it even worth it?

In all honesty, I personally would go with @twangster's Plan 3.  To go with the "rules" and then try a light version at the end of the first leg.  That way, if they don't let you, you are only wasting one bottle of wine.  If you can get away with it then try your 2 more bottles on the third leg.

1 minute ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Ok, I have to ask?  How much wine do you plan on consuming in your 27 day adventure lol? 10-12 bottles?  And how much money are we looking at saving by smuggling in bottles in Plan 2 and 3?  I feel like this needs a @twangster or @JLMoran spreadsheet ? Is it even worth it?

In all honesty, I personally would go with @twangster's Plan 3.  To go with the "rules" and then try a light version at the end of the first leg.  That way, if they don't let you, you are only wasting one bottle of wine.  If you can get away with it then try your 2 more bottles on the third leg.

Hi @Sabrinaklai

Our 'real plan' is take on the 6 bottles we are allowed and then purchase the odd bottle whenever required. Or a beer or short etc. She is not a big big drinker so can't justify the deluxe package (and me having to prove I don't drink too!) so we are both doing refreshment packages. Based on the pics Twangster posted there are not enough days in the year to try every soft drink option!

Annoying thing is we can take on 2 bottles for a 3 day cruise as well as 2 for the 10 and 14 day ones! I am not sure she can make them last 10 or 14 days!! :4_joy:

Maybe I need to find a couple or family who are getting on same time without wine and get them to be my wine mule!! 

14 minutes ago, mworkman said:

With all this talk about wine...reminds me of this ole tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdgKkjM4DTs

Doesn't he know the stereotype image for country and western music is Whiskey and/or beer? 

Wine drinking cowboy doesn't seem to fit.

"Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses"

or

"Merlot for my men, Chardonnay for my horses"

We are cruising Liberty starting this Sunday! Our plan for this trip is to bring two bottles of wine that are screw top. If we use them at dinner, we'll pay the corkage fee to unscrew them. Good thing: I'd hate to risk a wrist sprain from turning the twist cap! Anyway, if we drink them anywhere else on the ship, we'll just open them ourselves. We'll risk ruining our cruise with a sprained risk, in that case.

@BazzaB2B turn around days involve disembarking the ship and going through a brief customs exercise and getting back on the ship. You don't actually leave the terminal. If you are in the same stateroom, you don't have to do anything packing wise. If you are different stateroom, a basic pack and they move everything for you.

You can leave the terminal and come back of course. But if you're going to shop for wine the cost for a cab, the wait and dealing with the crowds might not be worth it to search out another set of wine carry on.

Unless of course you're building up a 'banked credit' being the wine hero with you wife...