RCL Scuba Excursion Boat in Cozumel Sinks

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article193612034.html

As a scuba diver and having dove Cozumel many times I am surprised but really that surprised something like this occurred in San Miguel. In the same breath I would also say the amount of actual danger that likely occurred was probably insignificant. These divers all have had training, plenty of floatation devices, and know how to float in the water for a few minutes. The areas a Royal scuba excursion would likely go would have many,many other dive operators operating their boats very close by (picture a boat having difficulty at the Swim with the Rays location in Grand Cayman). I absolutely know that these dive operators all have radios they use frequently and they all know each other quite well.

But the guy who who tweeted he was looking for compensation.......As a diver, as a Crown and Anchor member, as a Loyal to Royal fan, and as a RCL stockholder.....I want to punch this guy in the nose. What he tweeted/said is wrong on so many levels. Is this guy typical of my fellow passengers when we sail? 'Cause if it is, we gotta find a different way to vacation.

Saw this on another site including some video from a nearby boat on Youtube. 

I'm also a scuba diver.  Guess there is a new wreck to explore now :2_grimacing:

Sounds like everyone is okay so that's good.  Some folks lost wallets, phones, passports, etc so that sucks.  I'm guessing RC will waive the towel fee for not returning their ship towel.  

I'm okay with an expectation of reimbursement.  Phones aren't cheap, losing a wallet and your passport is a problem.  No mention of compensation unless there is another tweet I didn't see.  

48 minutes ago, toodle68 said:

Not sure how he lost his wallet, passport etc..  it is not deep water, couldn't he dive down with his gear and get his stuff?  :)

Probably not. Looks like every bodies gear went down with the boat. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the local scuba divers did some salvage work after everyone was gone. Not sure how deep that water is. :27_sunglasses:

10 minutes ago, rjac said:

Probably not. Looks like every bodies gear went down with the boat. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the local scuba divers did some salvage work after everyone was gone. Not sure how deep that water is. :27_sunglasses:

I don't think it's deep 15 minutes from the pier.  Easily dive-able within OWD limits I suspect.   

When I dive my stuff is in a pocket on my dive bag which is usually stuffed under a bench or in the cubby hole at the bow to keep dry.  I can see how all that would go down with the ship and possibly be scattered across the sea floor.

I don't take my full wallet with me, usually a credit card, driver's license, some cash, my dive card, SeaPass card, phone, GoPro.  Mask, fins & snorkel and dive computer is $800 for my gear.  $900 phone, $400 GoPro, $100 cash plus dive bag and other dive accessories including a log book.  If they had their own BC and regulator add another $1k to that.   Plus cost to replace a passport, dive card, driver's license. 

Good luck with customs coming home or getting through TSA at the airport without ID.

At least $2,600 for me without BC or reg.  Yeah I wouldn't be too happy to lose all that.

Let's put it this way, I am absolutely sure every Royal ship has a safety team with a contingency plan it executes if/when an excursion turns into a disaster. I am sure once the two ships involved found out it about the incident, their plan was executed. It would go something like this: I am sure ship representatives are sent close to the scene, everyone is repeatedly asked if they would like medical attention, that group of passengers will remain as a group of passengers and brought through port security and since presumably they lost their sea passes their identities checked via the photo they took of you boarding the ship and the manifest of those who paid for the excursion, sea passes are re-issued; while still together as a group I would bet $1,000,000 that they are briefed what happens next i.e.: they will get to place free phone calls from the member services desk to family members or to get new credit cards issued, they will be given complimentary internet access for the remainder of the trip to further get their life back together, they will be offered some type of credit at the stores on board to replace some flip flops or beachwear or whatever, of course the cost of the excursion is immediately refunded. I am sure each passenger gives a narrative to their experience and a list of personal items lost. That list and the estimated grand total of the loss will be refunded by Royal with out looking twice at it. I'm guessing corporate will issue a check very shortly once you arrive home. Royal will notify your home county's customs of the event and I am sure the skids are well greased so that affected passengers can get through security and board their planes. Royal does know your flight #'s and copied your passport when you checked in on boarding day. 

I will not accept that these post incident/contingency plan things did not happen or at least a very close scenario. I have sailed on way too many voyages not to know this is the way the deal goes down.

Then along comes the Bozo tweeting that somehow he wasn't advised of all this. Somehow he is unaware of what to do next. Somehow he still continues to be a victim. And, perhaps most importantly, without his voyage not even being over; somehow the whole cruise experience was ruined and therefore he is expecting compensation. Like, Royal owes him for an event that has not even occurred yet. 

And don't even get me started on how many layers of insurance for Bozos valuables can come into play here...that is a very long list.

You can certainly bet local divers are looking for that wreck. Very likely not to recover wallets that have $50 in them or other personal belongings but rather to keep that garbage off their reef. The leeward side of Cozumel is very well taken care of, you will never ever find trash there.

Sorry about the rant guys and girls, but the tweeting thing really gets under my skin. 

On 1/9/2018 at 1:41 PM, bobroo said:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article193612034.html

As a scuba diver and having dove Cozumel many times I am surprised but really that surprised something like this occurred in San Miguel. In the same breath I would also say the amount of actual danger that likely occurred was probably insignificant. These divers all have had training, plenty of floatation devices, and know how to float in the water for a few minutes. The areas a Royal scuba excursion would likely go would have many,many other dive operators operating their boats very close by (picture a boat having difficulty at the Swim with the Rays location in Grand Cayman). I absolutely know that these dive operators all have radios they use frequently and they all know each other quite well.

But the guy who who tweeted he was looking for compensation.......As a diver, as a Crown and Anchor member, as a Loyal to Royal fan, and as a RCL stockholder.....I want to punch this guy in the nose. What he tweeted/said is wrong on so many levels. Is this guy typical of my fellow passengers when we sail? 'Cause if it is, we gotta find a different way to vacation.

In a way, he got his money's worth: I am sure it was a heck of an experience, and excursions are all about experiences, right?

32 minutes ago, bobroo said:

Let's put it this way, I am absolutely sure every Royal ship has a safety team with a contingency plan it executes if/when an excursion turns into a disaster. I am sure once the two ships involved found out it about the incident, their plan was executed. It would go something like this: I am sure ship representatives are sent close to the scene, everyone is repeatedly asked if they would like medical attention, that group of passengers will remain as a group of passengers and brought through port security and since presumably they lost their sea passes their identities checked via the photo they took of you boarding the ship and the manifest of those who paid for the excursion, sea passes are re-issued; while still together as a group I would bet $1,000,000 that they are briefed what happens next i.e.: they will get to place free phone calls from the member services desk to family members or to get new credit cards issued, they will be given complimentary internet access for the remainder of the trip to further get their life back together, they will be offered some type of credit at the stores on board to replace some flip flops or beachwear or whatever, of course the cost of the excursion is immediately refunded. I am sure each passenger gives a narrative to their experience and a list of personal items lost. That list and the estimated grand total of the loss will be refunded by Royal with out looking twice at it. I'm guessing corporate will issue a check very shortly once you arrive home. Royal will notify your home county's customs of the event and I am sure the skids are well greased so that affected passengers can get through security and board their planes. Royal does know your flight #'s and copied your passport when you checked in on boarding day. 

I will not accept that these post incident/contingency plan things did not happen or at least a very close scenario. I have sailed on way too many voyages not to know this is the way the deal goes down.

Then along comes the Bozo tweeting that somehow he wasn't advised of all this. Somehow he is unaware of what to do next. Somehow he still continues to be a victim. And, perhaps most importantly, without his voyage not even being over; somehow the whole cruise experience was ruined and therefore he is expecting compensation. Like, Royal owes him for an event that has not even occurred yet. 

And don't even get me started on how many layers of insurance for Bozos valuables can come into play here...that is a very long list.

You can certainly bet local divers are looking for that wreck. Very likely not to recover wallets that have $50 in them or other personal belongings but rather to keep that garbage off their reef. The leeward side of Cozumel is very well taken care of, you will never ever find trash there.

Sorry about the rant guys and girls, but the tweeting thing really gets under my skin. 

Probably he was interviewed before getting back to the ship. Trying to think positively here.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, RestingBirds said:

$900 for a phone?!  I didn't know people really pay that.  The most I've paid is $100.

Current year phones from any of the big vendors that are considered remotely high end (Galaxy S8, iPhone 8) are several hundred dollars at minimum, and often push the $1,000 mark. Top-tier models like the iPhone X or Galaxy Note 8 actually cross the $1,000 mark.

Considering all the often bleeding-edge tech in those devices – ultra HD OLED screens, 4K cameras with dual lens setups, large capacity / high speed SSD storage, biometric sensors for user authentication – the price shouldn’t be that surprising. The market has shown it’s  more  than willing to pay those prices, so the manufacturers continue to charge them.

That said, carriers like TracFone sell older model smartphones from a couple of years ago that aren’t too-tier by today’s definition, but are certainly more than good enough for a lot of people. My wife has them as her carrier and she typically spends only $100-$150 every year or two for a new smartphone.

On 1/9/2018 at 2:41 PM, bobroo said:

many other dive operators operating their boats very close by (picture a boat having difficulty at the Swim with the Rays location in Grand Cayman)

Actually, something happened at Stingray City while I was on board a tour. Bad weather came out of nowhere and an amateur sailboat was approaching dangerously close to the reef. We use one of the bigger names any time we go out and they have multiple boats at a time. They used 3 of their boats to box in the sailboat and get a line so that they could tow them into safety. Now if they were further out I'm not sure they would be so lucky but being in the busy area for sure there should be someone close by.

Also would the tour company not be required to have proper insurance to have a contract with the cruise lines?

34 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Current year phones from any of the big vendors that are considered remotely high end (Galaxy S8, iPhone 8) are several hundred dollars at minimum, and often push the $1,000 mark. Top-tier models like the iPhone X or Galaxy Note 8 actually cross the $1,000 mark.

It's more the name than anything. I can bring in a quality phone direct from China, similar specs and features and will cost around $300. However, some of the $$ does go into R & D but I've had Chinese phones that had better specs than what the name brands had. I no longer support the big names. (I do wish in Cayman we had the accidental coverage though as I am not so nice to my phones and would cost more to ship it if I had coverage from somewhere else, never understood why it costs more to send stuff back then to get it since the ship has to go back anyway.)

1 hour ago, LetsTryThisTech said:

It's more the name than anything. I can bring in a quality phone direct from China, similar specs and features and will cost around $300. However, some of the $$ does go into R & D but I've had Chinese phones that had better specs than what the name brands had.

Even when the specs on paper look better, there will be key differences. The $300 phones won’t have optical image stabilization, or they have it for photos but not video. Or that image sensor that matches the current iPhone’s 12 MP size lacks the IR filter or deep channel filtering, or doesn’t support the DCI P3 color space the newest phones support. Or the OLED screen doesn’t have the same level of off-axis color preservation, or has more rapid burn-in.

Absolutely none of those features are must-haves for a lot of people, of course; but those are the details underlying the big names that explain the steep price differences. They’re also why people like @twangster and I continue to pony up that $1,000 every couple of years. For us, the improvements in the cameras or screens or whatever, especially in combination, are too compelling to ignore because they’re a key feature set that we use all the time and that we’re willing to pay for to reap those improvements.

7 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Even when the specs on paper look better, there will be key differences. The $300 phones won’t have optical image stabilization, or they have it for photos but not video. Or that image sensor that matches the current iPhone’s 12 MP size lacks the IR filter or deep channel filtering, or doesn’t support the DCI P3 color space the newest phones support. Or the OLED screen doesn’t have the same level of off-axis color preservation, or has more rapid burn-in.

I don't know I compared my last phones 20MP camera to the Samsung of the same gen (Can't remember which they gone through so many maybe 6 or 7) and my photos and video where much better and I was filming 4k before they could so I don't really believe that in my opinion but that's why I stick to the Chinese products. I mean 90% of the components are generic. But that's my opinion, the only way I will purchase Samsung is if someone pays for it and I will NEVER buy into Apple ecosystem again did that and had everything die within 2 years including a laptop. I love tech, I test a lot and often flip devices for what I pay for them since living in the Cayman Islands it costs people a lot to bring things in. I know @twangster trusts the names more (other post on routers.) But, I find the spec to value to name isn't worth it. Heck even big names like HTC and LG can have better phones for less. I remember getting a 3D phone from LG for free back when 3D TVs were the cool thing. But that my opinion and everyone has a preference just stating its not always what they tell you.

5 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Absolutely none of those features are must-haves for a lot of people, of course; but those are the details underlying the big names that explain the steep price differences. They’re also why people like @twangster and I continue to pony up that $1,000 every couple of years. For us, the improvements in the cameras or screens or whatever, especially in combination, are too compelling to ignore because they’re a key feature set that we use all the time and that we’re willing to pay for to reap those improvements.

There is also something to say about the overall eco system.  Working across devices within the Apple eco system is painless and easy. 

I've got an Android phone and had an S7 Edge when it was new and the flagship model.  Features and specifications are for geeks to fight over on another forum.  The eco system is what really sets them apart.  

There are ways to do similar things on both devices but with Android there are five different apps that aren't compatible and each has pros and cons.  Tomorrow Google will likely launch yet another chat app that is different again from it's video app that is different again from a similar app.   Want to transfer files to a laptop?  On Android there is this app that used to free but now costs money and only works on certain Android version, but there is another app, that works if you do this, on that version or that that device.   On Apple?  Airdrop.  Boom, done.  easy. 

Android has yet to accomplish anything as awesome as iMessage.  Most of my family and friends have Apple so iMessage works incredibly well on wifi or cellular.  On a ship, on a plane, in a foreign country at a coffee shop.  It was the single biggest thing I missed when I had my S7.  

I'm as geeky as the next geek but there is a lot to say for something that works, every time, with ease.  Done without jumping through hoops.

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

There are ways to do similar things on both devices but with Android there are five different apps that aren't compatible and each has pros and cons.  Tomorrow Google will likely launch yet another chat app that is different again from it's video app that is different again from a similar app.   Want to transfer files to a laptop?  On Android there is this app that used to free but now costs money and only works on certain Android version, but there is another app, that works if you do this, on that version or that that device.   On Apple?  Airdrop.  Boom, done.  easy. 

Android has yet to accomplish anything as awesome as iMessage.  Most of my family and friends have Apple so iMessage works incredibly well on wifi or cellular.  On a ship, on a plane, in a foreign country at a coffee shop.  It was the single biggest thing I missed when I had my S7.  

This part is true, you do have things like google drive which is what I tend to use. I honestly prefer WhatsApp as it isn't dependent on one eco-system which is good for here as there are people that still had their blackberries till they couldn't use them anymore lol. I have gone back and forth and have always prefered Android but for someone who wants ease of use, Apple does do that well.

9 minutes ago, LetsTryThisTech said:

This part is true, you do have things like google drive which is what I tend to use. I honestly prefer WhatsApp as it isn't dependent on one eco-system which is good for here as there are people that still had their blackberries till they couldn't use them anymore lol. I have gone back and forth and have always prefered Android but for someone who wants ease of use, Apple does do that well.

Therein lies the Android conundrum.  WhatsApp works great but it requires everyone you know to load it.  Google won't bake it in to Android because it has it's own (multiple) platforms that it wants people to use.  If Google was to acquire WhatsApp it would be decimated into something it isn't today as they try to squeeze it into position besides five other similar but different Google platforms that are the same but different.  Plus you wouldn't need WhatsApp if Google could get it right.

There is also the matter of what Google is really after in everything it does.  Your data.  Your life story.  Everything about you so they can sell it to the highest bidder.      

On 1/9/2018 at 4:50 PM, toodle68 said:

Not sure how he lost his wallet, passport etc..  it is not deep water, couldn't he dive down with his gear and get his stuff?  :)

And why would you bring your passport to a dive trip? Mine goes into the safe on board and doesn't come out until we disembark at the end of the cruise!

10 minutes ago, Suzanne said:

And why would you bring your passport to a dive trip? Mine goes into the safe on board and doesn't come out until we disembark at the end of the cruise!

Many people take their passport with them in case something happens and they miss the ship.  Bus accident, dive boat sinking, you know...

Personally my book stays in the safe, my passport card comes with me.  While it can't be used to fly I figure it will give me some cred during an emergency or crisis moment and it's a lot easier to carry.  It's ironic a Nexus or Global Entry card can be used to fly but a passport card can't, but I digress.

Guest toodle68

The whole issue of whether to take your passport will long be debated as much as something like travel insurance. You don't need either until you do, and then when you need it, you REALLY need it.

25 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Interesting.  I never realized that the Global Entry card could be used to fly in lieu of a passport.  I have never ever used my card !  Even at the GE station in Port Everglade they never asked to see my card.  

I've used my Nexus and/or GE card for more than just flying.  Like at customs coming off a ship and I used it at US Customs in Vancouver after an Alaskan cruise.  They just swipe it like they do a passport book or card.  It brings up the same info to the customs agent.  I'm not certain it absolutely replaces the need to carry a passport, I've always had my passport in my bag but I've never been asked to produce it after offering my GE or Nexus card.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2018 at 11:45 AM, LetsTryThisTech said:

I don't know I compared my last phones 20MP camera to the Samsung of the same gen (Can't remember which they gone through so many maybe 6 or 7) and my photos and video where much better and I was filming 4k before they could so I don't really believe that in my opinion but that's why I stick to the Chinese products. I mean 90% of the components are generic. But that's my opinion, the only way I will purchase Samsung is if someone pays for it and I will NEVER buy into Apple ecosystem again did that and had everything die within 2 years including a laptop. I love tech, I test a lot and often flip devices for what I pay for them since living in the Cayman Islands it costs people a lot to bring things in. I know @twangster trusts the names more (other post on routers.) But, I find the spec to value to name isn't worth it. Heck even big names like HTC and LG can have better phones for less. I remember getting a 3D phone from LG for free back when 3D TVs were the cool thing. But that my opinion and everyone has a preference just stating its not always what they tell you.

I have bought the OnePlus One when it first came out and most recently the OnePlus 5T.  So much more value for the money.  Love their Oxygen OS.  The OnePlus user community is very helpful as well.  I like how it has dual sim as I live in a border city.  Swapping Canada and US phone plans in less than a second.  

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, our first cruise in 15 years and I pick Cozumel!!!  I am VERY concerned about all the issues that have arisen over the past few months.  I was planning to book excursions during the 25% off sale but now I really don’t know what to book.  Maybe we should just stay on the ship ?

13 hours ago, Pooch said:

Ok, our first cruise in 15 years and I pick Cozumel!!!  I am VERY concerned about all the issues that have arisen over the past few months.  I was planning to book excursions during the 25% off sale but now I really don’t know what to book.  Maybe we should just stay on the ship ?

Cozumel is a beautiful island but each of us needs to decide how to proceed at our own discretion.  The ferry's involved with the explosion and the one near Cancun are owned by the same person and there is speculation of a turf war.  So far there has been no suggestion of targeting US citizens.  

There have been bombings or attempts in places like NYC and Boston over the past few years.  There have been numerous train derailing and bus accidents in the US over the same time frame.

Whether its walking the streets of any big US city, boarding a commuter train in our home city or visiting a tourist destination we all have to decide if we should live in a bubble safe in our homes or go on with our lives.  Spain and some parts of Europe have seen increased security incidents lately yet later this year I'll be visiting Spain to board a transatlantic cruise. 

I just finished a cruise yesterday with stops in Costa Maya and Cozumel.  I enjoyed both ports just like I always have.  

I live blogged from that cruise.  You can see my day on Costa Maya here:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5671-liberty-22518-7-nights/&do=findComment&comment=59748

And my day in Cozumel here:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5671-liberty-22518-7-nights/&do=findComment&comment=59921

At the end of the day you need to decide what the right thing is for you and your family.  I've chosen to carry on and enjoy life while being aware of the potential that exists everyday in my home state or while on vacation.

6 hours ago, twangster said:

Cozumel is a beautiful island but each of us needs to decide how to proceed at our own discretion.  The ferry's involved with the explosion and the one near Cancun are owned by the same person and there is speculation of a turf war.  So far there has been no suggestion of targeting US citizens.  

There have been bombings or attempts in places like NYC and Boston over the past few years.  There have been numerous train derailing and bus accidents in the US over the same time frame.

Whether its walking the streets of any big US city, boarding a commuter train in our home city or visiting a tourist destination we all have to decide if we should live in a bubble safe in our homes or go on with our lives.  Spain and some parts of Europe have seen increased security incidents lately yet later this year I'll be visiting Spain to board a transatlantic cruise. 

I just finished a cruise yesterday with stops in Costa Maya and Cozumel.  I enjoyed both ports just like I always have.  

I live blogged from that cruise.  You can see my day on Costa Maya here:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5671-liberty-22518-7-nights/&do=findComment&comment=59748

And my day in Cozumel here:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5671-liberty-22518-7-nights/&do=findComment&comment=59921

At the end of the day you need to decide what the right thing is for you and your family.  I've chosen to carry on and enjoy life while being aware of the potential that exists everyday in my home state or while on vacation.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful post (along with those links!).  You are correct in that we can't stop our lives because of these problems.  I appreciate your insight.  If I may ask,  could one (or in our case 3) spend a day at both/either port without doing an excursions?  Really would be fine with some shopping, restaurants and beach.  

Pooch

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

Thank you so much for your thoughtful post (along with those links!).  You are correct in that we can't stop our lives because of these problems.  I appreciate your insight.  If I may ask,  could one (or in our case 3) spend a day at both/either port without doing an excursions?  Really would be fine with some shopping, restaurants and beach.  

Pooch

At most ports you can get by without doing an excursion purchased through the cruise line depending on the type of activities you are looking for.  At some ports this is easier than others.  I often take a local bus or cab to a beach or downtown area.  Excursions purchased through the cruise line are easy.  Read, click, purchase.  Planning your own day takes more work but you end up with exactly what you choose.  

Cruising to a foreign country is in some ways no different than flying there.  Once you step foot off the ship you are free to visit the country and make your own day of activities.  I've rented cars, taken cabs, walked, etc.  Just make sure you are back on the ship well before the all aboard time.  

The port area at Costa Maya has a lot going on right within the port area or you can take a shuttle or taxi to the local beach, $3-4 per person.

The port area in Cozumel has a lot of shops and some bars.  Beaches require a cab and there are popular "resorts for a day' that many people arrange on their own without booking it through the cruise line.  Mr. Sanchos is one, Playa Mia is another, Nachi Cocom is a third.  Some have more for kids, some can get busy depending how many ships are in and some limit crowds but have to be booked ahead of time.  Some include some food or drinks, others don't. 

Here is a blog from @Matt for Nachi Cocom:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2017/11/29/excursion-focus-nachi-cocom-beach-break-review-cozumel-mexico