Adventure of the Seas??

Hi there,  I found an itinerary on the Adventure of the Seas (new England) that is perfect for us as it sails during our 25th anniversary.  Has anyone been on it, what is it like ( I know it's older, I know it's not Oasis) but is it still nice.  the price is right too so i'm hoping to book it today or tomorrow. Thank you for any input!

4 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

Hi there,  I found an itinerary on the Adventure of the Seas (new England) that is perfect for us as it sails during our 25th anniversary.  Has anyone been on it, what is it like ( I know it's older, I know it's not Oasis) but is it still nice.  the price is right too so i'm hoping to book it today or tomorrow. Thank you for any input!

That was our first and honeymoon cruise! I haven't been on it since but we loved it.  Was enough to get us hooked on cruising.  It's up for refurb soon.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2017/04/26/royal-caribbean-schedules-adventure-of-the-seas-refurbishment-january-2018

10 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

That was our first and honeymoon cruise! I haven't been on it since but we loved it.  Was enough to get us hooked on cruising.  It's up for refurb soon.

well isn't this perfect as our anniversary is July 2019!! LOL.   I think I'm going to do for it! OUr April Equinox trip was supposed to be our anniversary sailing but I got to thinking, I don't want to be in Rehoboth Beach in for our special anniversary and we've been dying to do NewEngland/Canada (it's only 6 nights and we're missing Boston, but it's perfect!)  

6 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

well isn't this perfect as our anniversary is July 2019!! LOL.  

Omg...I am afraid to ask when?  We have way too much in common!  Our anniversary is also in July!  That or it's a teacher thing because that is when we have time off!  But I am about 10 years behind you.  We just celebrated 15 years. 

10 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

See! I'm good for something here @twangster   I have to tell you, I am so excited,  I booked the NE/Canada, we've had our eyes on it and the dates didn't work, the 9 nights didn't work but this worked! 

I am here to please sir!!!

I booked AOS during my Jan 2 cruise. We have a 6 day cruise. Woohoo!!!

Hope KLA gives us an update after her cruise re:drydock changes. Booked on the late July cruise to NE/Canada just before our 51st anniversary...normally cruise out of "our" FL ports during the winter. Can't wait to see beautiful, downtown Bayonne in the summer! (Lol!)... Just a couple of hours from our NJ home.

20 minutes ago, Sweety said:

July 20-26, 2019. Booked a junior suite for two for $2200

We're on the same cruise!!!!! It's our 25th wedding anniversary!!  Booked Grand Suite as I"m a cruise snob as my friend @Sabrinaklai says and it's our anniversary. Still very reasonable considering. Well, as time gets closer we have to chat. Looking forward to meeting you!!:5_smiley:

15 hours ago, twangster said:

@Boston Babe - This is all your fault!!!!

I started looking at Adventure of the Seas and saw this incredible deal on the repositioning cruise from San Juan to Bayonne in May. 

YOLO!  Booked it! 

Plus with just 5 nights it doesn't mess up my C&A strategy for Symphony.  

Thanks!

We'll be on Adventure right after you bring her to Bayonne, May 18th. I think there may be one or two sailings in between.  

1 hour ago, Sabrinaklai said:

I feel left out when teachers are gathering and I'm not there ?

But I'll be on Symphony then! Have fun you two! 

Please let us know about the new ship. I will be on the Harmony April 12-19, 2019. I think you have been on this ship.

1 minute ago, Ledude said:

Adventure goes in to dry dock after returning to San Jose on January 13-February 13. We are booked for a family cruise out of Fort Lauderdale December 2018 in the new panoramic staterooms. So I hope to have an update on those.

I almost booked a panoramic cabin but suddenly a balcony came up cheaper with my C&A discount,  25% cheaper all in.  I had to take a balcony but I was torn when they were almost the same price, those panoramic look awesome.

We had two connecting panoramic booked for May 2018 and changed it to one junior suite for $100 less.  We couldn't believe it; so we grabbed it and the double points that come along with it.  All four of us are in the one room for pretty much only sleep, so we'll deal for the week. 

1 hour ago, KathyC said:

We had two connecting panoramic booked for May 2018 and changed it to one junior suite for $100 less.  We couldn't believe it; so we grabbed it and the double points that come along with it.  All four of us are in the one room for pretty much only sleep, so we'll deal for the week. 

But Kathy, haven’t you heard the dire warning? That many people in your cabin on a Royal ship means YOU WON’T HAVE ANY SEX!!!! ???????

2 hours ago, JLMoran said:

But Kathy, haven’t you heard the dire warning? That many people in your cabin on a Royal ship means YOU WON’T HAVE ANY SEX!!!! ???????

If you ever make it to a Love and Marriage show on Royal you'll learn some cruise directors make reference (for the benefit of young ears that might be there) to 'Making Pancakes', such as "Where is the strangest place you have made pancakes?".  

Having sailed past a DCL ship recently I heard no pancake making going on.  Those awesome curtains must be real.  

On a recent cruise with an adjoining door to the cabin next to me, there was a young couple next door making a LOT of pancakes. 

Guest toodle68
9 hours ago, KathyC said:

This is what we were planning to do, but the prices of JS went up.  We really wanted those double points to put us into Diamond, but all along, the JS for this cruise has been way to expensive. Still looking forward to experiencing panoramic room on deck 12 though!

8 hours ago, twangster said:

If you ever make it to a Love and Marriage show on Royal you'll learn some cruise directors make reference (for the benefit of young ears that might be there) to 'Making Pancakes', such as "Where is the strangest place you have made pancakes?".  

Having sailed past a DCL ship recently I heard no pancake making going on.  Those awesome curtains must be real.  

On a recent cruise with an adjoining door to the cabin next to me, there was a young couple next door making a LOT of pancakes. 

Maybe they were on the same Liberty sailing the lady was on and they were making up for lost time?  You will have to do some James Bond stuff and scope it out on your Liberty sailing coming up.  ?

Btw...these reactions are driving me nuts!  I gave out one this morning and already have none left?

• 2 weeks later...

I just booked my first Royal Caribbean cruise on the Adventure of the Seas, this coming April for a S. Caribbean 7 night trip.    I am having some buyers remorse, since after I booked it I found some negative reviews.    It's going to be myself (single 49 year old Dad) and two teen daughters.  My main goal/want is for my kids to have a great time.   What do I need to know?  What can ensure a great time? 

27 minutes ago, C_Pepper said:

the Adventure of the Seas, this coming April for a S. Caribbean 7 night trip

I believe she's going into dry dock shortly if not already there for alot of makeovers.  someone here can correct me if I"m wrong. I am booked on her for July 2019 and am very excited. I think your girls will have a great time! and I hope you will too! Welcome to the Boards! Lots of great information found here! 

We've been on 2 Disney Cruises so the entire concept isn't new but there seems to be a lot of small differences.   Yeah we may be one of the first few to be on after the dry docking.  Is there a way to find out what's happening at the Dry docking or what's happened to the ship recently?  Sorry I know I'm a newbie so if I'm asking basic questions point me to where I need to go.

I did get the drink package for myself, not sure if I should get Soda or refreshment package for the girls? 

Any additional thoughts always welcome.   We are definitely excited.

@C_Pepper  welcome to the message boards!

The refurbishment of Adventure was originally scheduled for 2016 but it was postponed when Hurricane Matthew damaged the Freeport dockyard where the work was supposed to be completed.  The original details can be found in this blog post:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/06/10/royal-caribbean-announces-61-million-revitalization-adventure-of-the-seas

Since that time the work has been split up into smaller pieces, some being completed already with the final work being done this month and into next.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2017/04/26/royal-caribbean-schedules-adventure-of-the-seas-refurbishment-january-2018

Disney is a wonderful cruise line but also very expensive.  It some ways it caters to younger children with many parents reporting it is less enticing for teenagers.  Royal is very family friendly but also much less expensive compared to Disney.  For this reason many people consider Royal to be better value for the money while still providing a great cruise experience.

Several users on this site have Adventure cruises booked in the coming months.  Keep an eye in the message boards under "Live Blogs" as we begin to showcase the new Adventure of the Seas post dry dock.

As far as negative reviews I've learned over the years and from using many forums beyond this one that most negative reviews should be ignored for almost any ship or cruise line.  Any cruise is what you make it.  

3 hours ago, C_Pepper said:

Disney was great, and we sailed on the cost of Make-A-Wish, my oldest daughter is a cancer survivor, thankfully.   We are really looking forward to RC. yeah it's less expensive up front but I think it equals out.

@C_Pepper, welcome to the boards!  We've done our share of Disney in recent years with our girls (tweens) and there are some differences between the two lines.  There was a recap done here not too long ago (I'll attach it) that highlights some of the differences. 

I personally love RC.  I have not been on the Adventure since my honeymoon so that was a while ago.  I am not a Disney fanatic, neither are my kids, so the lack of constant parade of characters wherever you go is a welcomed relief.  And the cost difference is huge.  We've done 3 Disney cruises now and each time the cost of one could have taken me on two with RC.

I find the two main differences between the two are the types of theatre shows, and drinks that are included.  Disney's alcohol is priced slightly lower that RC, but then again, you don't have the option of a drink package with them so makes sense.  Also, with Disney, all your soft drinks are included but with RC it's not.  If you purchased the refreshment package for the girls that would include the soft drinks, juices, bottled water, etc. minus the alcohol.  As far as the shows go, Disney's shows are all extravagantly done, while RC is on a slightly smaller scale but still great.  

I am a firm believer that a vacation/cruise is as good as you make it.  Read all reviews with a grain of salt.  Some people just love to vent and complain and most times people who have a great time don't follow up and write about it so you are only hearing from the complainers.  Every ship as it's pros/cons.  Like @twangster mentioned, there probably will be a live blog in the next few weeks from Adventure.  Worth it to follow along and ask questions.  And you have found a great resource here in these boards.  People are great here.  Ask away.