Alaska!

ckmoss

Hi, we have booked an Alaskan cruise on the Ovation June 2019 for our 20th anniversary. I'm looking at booking excursions and was wondering if anyone could recommend good ones in Juneau and Skagway. We are doing the gardens in Canada. Looking to make this perfect. 

Edited by ckmoss

Guest toodle68

We booked Radiance in June 2019 too..  The costs for some of the excursions are so expensive.  This is going to be one of the most expensive vacations we have done. The flights are approx $1,000 each..    We are also doing a pre-cruise tour, but I plan to research this some more to see if we can do 5 days on our own for cheaper.  

Unfortunately yes, excursions in Alaska are expensive.  However to experience Alaska you have to leave the port areas and there are some really good excursions.  

As Royal likes to tweet, when on Alaska excursions you will often find yourself in section O row M seat G.

For what it's worth I found it cheaper to book airfare as two one way segments rather than a multi city Anchorage-Vancouver trip.  

Dunno if you listen to the Cruise Dudes podcast, but a few times now they've mentioned that when you're in Skagway, if you want to see more bald eagles than you can believe, you don't need to buy an excursion .Just walk off the ship and go (I think) to the right down a trail / side street to an old fish cannery. Tons of eagles hanging out there getting the scraps!

Granted, you have to deal with the stink of fish scraps, but it's free. :3_grin: :65_mask:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm following this thread. We're doing our first cruise June 22-29, 2018 on Radiance southbound Seward to Vancouver. We booked excursions during a sale and saved $150. All prices below are per person.

We arrive in Anchorage late on 6/20, spend 6/21 in/around Anchorage and take the RC train from Anchorage to Seward the afternoon of 6/22.

In Juneau we booked Mendenhall Glacier, Whale Watching and Wildlife Quest 5.25 Hours ($179, on sale for $143)

In Skagway we booked Gold Panning, Sled Dogs and Scenic Railway ($225, on sale for $202)

Icy Strait Point - I'm doing Discovering the Birds of Hoonah 3.5 hours ($149, on  sale for $141) and my wife is doing In Alaska's Wildest Kitchen 1.5 hours ($80, one sale for $71)

Ketchikan - Ketchikan Duck Tour 1.5 hours ($50, on sale for $44)

We booked knowing that we can cancel and book others but wanted to get the sale prices.

If anyone has done these and can comment that would be great. Or recommend others. I was tempted to start a thread for each port? 

Whale watching in Juneau is amazing!!!  We booked through Harv & Marv's Outback Adventure.  I cannot praise them enough!!!  It's more expensive than through RCL, but you're on a smaller boat & get a more personalized experience.  The views are breathtaking.  Seriously the absolute best experience I have ever, ever had on vacation.  EVER.