Cough, cough! Fighting the cold before my cruise leaves

OK, I don't sail until February 4th, but I woke up this morning with a runny nose and scratchy throat. I will probably be fine, as there is plenty of time for me to heal up. But I admit that I kind of freaked. Cough drops, Emergen-Cee drink mix, Zicam tablets, Dayquill... Close to $100 of over the counter medications! So as I calmed down (Organizing how and when to take all my medications seemed to have a calming effect), I wondered what experiences other people have had. Ever missed a cruise due to a cold or flu? What happened? What last-minute remedies worked for you? Anyone just live in a giant sterile plastic bubble as the cruice came closer?

3 minutes ago, UkuleleCruiser said:

Ever missed a cruise due to a cold or flu? What happened? What last-minute remedies worked for you? Anyone just live in a giant sterile plastic bubble as the cruice came closer?

To be honest, I would have to be pretty severely ill to even consider missing a cruise or other vacation.  I wouldn't let a cold keep me down.  Have some hot tea in the morning and enough alcohol to forget you've got a cold and you'll be fine. :5_smiley:  The flu or a stomach bug could change my mind--it's not fair risking other passenger's health and nobody wants to be vomiting and utterly miserable on a ship any way.

Regardless, you've got a month till you sail.  Plenty of time to shake a little cold.

I haven't gotten sick pre cruise but have gotten sick mid trip. I fly a few times a year and have a system I start at least a month in advance.  I never take vitamins and forget to take probiotics all the time BUT before a flight I make sure I take a multivitamin and a probiotic daily.  When I get on the plane I wipe EVERYTHING down, do people laugh a little, sure. My friend watched me do it and now does it on every flight too. I buy a nasal spray that I use throughout, it supposedly helps. I should probably do all of these things more regularly butttttttt......

I honestly have no idea if any of this works or if it's the placebo effect - all I know is I stopped getting sick after I fly.

5 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Yeah, but I still feel it if I'm on two at once. And I was on Levaquin for six months straight one time, so I'm definitely used to the potent stuff. :65_mask:

And I can't take that stuff, makes me even sicker.

I agree with @ellcee , I also take a vitamin and a probiotic everyday and it usually heads most stuff off.

My step-daughter-in-waiting got sick the day before we were due to leave on Anthem over New Year's. Ibuprofen, DayQuil, and AirBorne. She mostly slept the first two sea days and by the time we got to Nassau she was feeling much better.

Now my girlfriend and her mother aren't feeling well. Finger's crossed I don't get sick too.

Don't they ask you about being sick before you get on the ship?..Something about in the last 3 days in those cards that you fill out at  check-in? Not sure what happens if you answer "yes" to any of those questions.

As for a cruise on Feb 4th...getting sick now is a good thing....hopefully you got the flu over for the season so by Feb you have nothing to worry about.

I am usually trying to take care of myself even more prior to a cruise..so along with my normal daily routines...some extras like extra exercise, sleep, healthier eating and taking Emergen C every day it seems to help. If I was to come down with something..I swear by Nyquil....if I feel even a scratchy throat or runny nose or achy eyes I take that and usually wake up feeling at least 75% better the next day. Different things work for different people though for sure.

I wouldn't panic about it...unless it was the day OF the cruise an I felt bad.....

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

Not sure what happens if you answer "yes" to any of those questions.

It depends on the severity of the symptoms.  They usually have someone talk to you after to evaluate you. In most cases, it's a cold and not warranted to deny boarding.

That survey is aimed at keeping people with really contagious viruses from getting onboard.

4 hours ago, Matt said:

It depends on the severity of the symptoms.  They usually have someone talk to you after to evaluate you.

I answered "yes" to a couple of questions once, as I was coming off of a cold, and was never contacted by anyone about it. I figured it was either overlooked completely or they are only looking for the combination of "yes" to having certain symptoms and a "yes" to having visited certain regions.