Brilliance of the Seas refurbishment April 2018

I just read on facebook Crown and Anchor Society that someone was told by the crew that Brilliance of the Seas was scheduled for refurbishment in April 2018.  There is a 10 day window after its transatlantic cruise from 20 April to 1 May where no cruise is scheduled.  Does anyone know what a 10 day refurbishment entails?  We will be on her in mid May.

11 minutes ago, Shari said:

I just read on facebook Crown and Anchor Society that someone was told by the crew that Brilliance of the Seas was scheduled for refurbishment in April 2018.  There is a 10 day window after its transatlantic cruise from 20 April to 1 May where no cruise is scheduled.  Does anyone know what a 10 day refurbishment entails?  We will be on her in mid May.

Every 5 years or so all ships usually enter dry dock for routine maintenance below the water line.  It's possible this is part of that routine schedule.  During dry dock the ship is empty of guests so they will often replace carpet, re-lacquer railings, repaint pools and such.  They may take on some minor upgrades.  RCI tends to be pretty tight lipped about these things unless it's a major renovation like Indy is getting this spring.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Laurin said:

Just wondering if anyone has heard any updates about the Brilliance's brief drydock.  

Welcome to the message boards.

Dry docks rarely have details published.  It's typically things like scraping marine life off the keel, repainting below the waterline while its dry, work on propellers, bearings, engine overhaul.  These things are done every five years - routine maintenance.  Sometimes they will do some things top side like replacing broken floor tiles, some worn carpet, varnishing railings, painting, etc.  

It will likely be stuff that few guests would notice assuming they even could. 

8 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Maybe they can fix the pool tables while they are at it...seeing as that is one of the "highlights" of that class of ship....they have been in pretty bad shape or not working the couple of times I have been on Brilliance.

I think the stabilized tables are a cool idea but as the person holding the pool cue you are still moving with the ship while the table floats.  That creates some interesting shots. 

Thanks!  I knew that it mostly consisted of marine maintenance and that it wouldn't be any MAJOR refurbishment / addition, but I was not so secretly hoping that maybe it would get the O3B internet enhancement.   I purchased Voom Surf & Stream for my upcoming British Isles cruise and have been hearing less than stellar reports of the internet service on Brilliance.   

I just found the blog (and boards) yesterday and am glad to find another venue to talk about cruising! ? 

3 hours ago, Laurin said:

Thanks!  I knew that it mostly consisted of marine maintenance and that it wouldn't be any MAJOR refurbishment / addition, but I was not so secretly hoping that maybe it would get the O3B internet enhancement.   I purchased Voom Surf & Stream for my upcoming British Isles cruise and have been hearing less than stellar reports of the internet service on Brilliance.   

I just found the blog (and boards) yesterday and am glad to find another venue to talk about cruising! ? 

@mpoole3 and @Matt both recently sailed Brilliance and both used the Voom to periscope and blog.   Since Adventure didn't get upgraded to O3b in her February revitalization that was a full blown refurb, I've lost hope that they are upgrading more ships to O3b.  Having said that O3b just launched two new satellite that go into service mid-May so maybe they couldn't flip the switch on Adventure until more capacity was available with the two new satellites in orbit.  Finger's crossed.  I recently sailed Serenade with the old satellite and it wasn't bad.  Not as good as O3b but not terrible. 

O3b only works within +/- 50° latitude or so, depending where in the British Isles you are sailing O3b may be unavailable anyways. 

I was commenting back and forth on the C&A facebook page with someone who is on the Brilliance now.  They said that the dining room got new carpet and furniture.  She said the rest was cleaned up but looked the same.  Laurin, we are going to be on the May 15th British Isles cruise too.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A little bit late to the party, here -- but I'm wondering if Royal has added liqueurs to their name inventory?  Grand Marnier, perhaps?  (see 

On 1/17/2018 at 11:19 AM, Matt said:

Just an update, Brilliance is getting work done, but just maintenance.

2018-refurb.jpg

Is that the Grand Marnier of the Seas?

• 2 months later...