Using Canadian credit cards onboard

Razorrayy

I have a question for any other Canadian cruisers or anyone who may know this answer.

Each time I fill out my Set to Sail paper work they ask to select one of two options: 1- should I allow Royal Caribbean to figure out the current exchange rate with a small fee added or 2 - Should I allow my card to be charged in American currency and then have my Canadian bank complete the current exchange and I also believe there is a small fee as well.

I have done this both ways and still have no idea what I should select each time I cruise?

59 minutes ago, Razzorray said:

I have a question for any other Canadian cruisers or anyone who may know this answer.

Each time I fill out my Set to Sail paper work they ask to select one of two options: 1- should I allow Royal Caribbean to figure out the current exchange rate with a small fee added or 2 - Should I allow my card to be charged in American currency and then have my Canadian bank complete the current exchange and I also believe there is a small fee as well.

I have done this both ways and still have no idea what I should select each time I cruise?

We now travel with a US credit card but before when we didn't have one we would choose "2" and then exchange cash prior to the cruise and pay off our onboard account with cash.  It was a lot to carry around but we found it significantly cheaper to exchange ahead of time at a land based currency exchange.  It's been a while since we've done that.  We've had our US credit card for a while now so I don't even know if that is even an option anymore.  Someone here asked a similar question before a few months ago and a few of us Canadians use a US card to travel.   Might be worth looking into if you travel a lot.  I'll see if I can find the previous thread.

Let your credit card charge you the rate...as you will pay more with option 1.

USD credit card is the way to go when travelling really.

If you don't want to pay the yearly fee etc for one just for travels, some banks offered a "pre-paid" USD visa card. I have one and use it like a savings account during the year when the exchange rate is a little better....put some cash on it...and then when I am ready to go I am all set and it costs nothing extra to use it.

• 5 years later...

Hi, 

We are Canadians and we will be boarding Harmony of the Seas over spring break. We do have a USD Credit card and I'd just like to confirm what currency will be charged onboard. The RCL account that I've purchased our excursions and dining package on has been charging us in CAD, so I'd just like to verify once we are onboard will our account still be in CAD or will all things now be charged in USD. I'm trying to check in and it's asking for a CC so I want to know which currency CC I should enter. Thank you in advance for any replies!

"Let your credit card charge you the rate...as you will pay more with option 1."

This what I've been doing too. I do have a USD credit card but I don't get any loyalty points with it so I don't use it so much anymore. That being said, I will also convert some cash before heading out at one of the local exchange bureaus where I find the best exchange rate and pay cash on board and on excursions.

1 hour ago, Ready To Cruise said:

Hi, 

We are Canadians and we will be boarding Harmony of the Seas over spring break. We do have a USD Credit card and I'd just like to confirm what currency will be charged onboard. The RCL account that I've purchased our excursions and dining package on has been charging us in CAD, so I'd just like to verify once we are onboard will our account still be in CAD or will all things now be charged in USD. I'm trying to check in and it's asking for a CC so I want to know which currency CC I should enter. Thank you in advance for any replies!

You will be charged in USD onboard.

2 hours ago, Ready To Cruise said:

Hi, 

Is your reservation (cruise fare) in USD or CAD? If your reservation is in CAD, that could explain why your cruise planner purchases are also in CAD. 

Onboard you should be charged in USD.

We are also Canadian and anything travel related the involves US currency, we pay with a US Visa. Our flights, cruise reservations, hotels are all paid using this US Visa. Our cruise planner items appear in USD because that is the currency that our reservation is in. Onboard we are also paying USD.

Hope that helps.

One other option you may want to consider is a Canadian credit card that has NO foreign transaction fees, for me this has been a HUGE savings as we travel as often as possible out of country. I think they are rare, but I've used the Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite card for years and love it! That way, the USD amount you owe onboard will be charged to your card with just the straight exchange for the day, no added fees. 

While not cruisers, my in-laws live in Canada and have a US credit card as well as a US checking account for use over here.  They come a lot since all their children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren live in the States. 

They have commented more than once how much simpler have US accounts makes things for them.