Cancel for any reason insurance?

melski94

Does anyone have experience with "cancel for any reason" trip insurance?   We normally have regular trip insurance on all our cruises but I'm looking at a November cruise where 1-2 family members may cancel at the last minute after final payment...DS plays HS football and while not expected to go far in playoffs this year it would be just my luck not to protect this vacation and they make it to quarterfinals. If he goes into the playoffs, either he'd be left with a friend or DH would stay with him. So I could be looking at cancelling 1-2 people within days of the sailing.

What I'm reading through my insurance company (USAA) is that they cover up to 75% for cancel for any reason 48 hours in advance.  We'd be in 2 staterooms so if 4 of us could still go, would they still reimburse up to 2 people (1 person in each stateroom) or is it an all or none scenario? What about airfare?  Probably will go with Southwest so no change fees.

What other things should I be looking at or questions to ask for this type of insurance?  Are there better companies that deal with this type of insurance than others? Do other companies allow you to cancel with less than 48 hours?

Thanks for any help you can offer. Just trying to figure this out before I put a deposit down on the cruise.

I know this is not terribly helpful, but I think the answer to all of your questions are going to be based on the exact policy you are considering.

Also keep in mind that it's actually easy enough to swap out people on a reservation, as opposed to adding or removing.  So if your son cant go, but you want to essentially remove him and add someone else, changing names on a reservation is doable.  

I have purchased it a few times, usually when I'm booking far out. Keep in mind that the "cancel for any reason" only goes into effect after the final payment date and when you're canceling for other than a covered reason. In addition, you're paying more for the insurance and are usually taking a hit on the amount refunded. Most private policies I've seen only refund 80% under the "cancel for any reason" provisions, but 100% to 150% for covered reasons.

If you have a travel agent, ask them for recommendations. Otherwise, you could explore a site like tripinsurance.com to explore competing policies.

Royal Caribbean's Travel Protection has a "cancel for any reason" clause included. It is an enhancement provided by them as opposed to by the insurance company writing the policy. It is paid in the form of a 75% cruise credit that must be used within a year. The policy itself is pretty reasonable--$59 each for our May cruise on Adventure. You can see details here:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithGallery.do?pagename=cruise_insurance

15 hours ago, Skid said:

Royal Caribbean's Travel Protection has a "cancel for any reason" clause included. It is an enhancement provided by them as opposed to by the insurance company writing the policy. It is paid in the form of a 75% cruise credit that must be used within a year. The policy itself is pretty reasonable--$59 each for our May cruise on Adventure. You can see details here:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithGallery.do?pagename=cruise_insurance

That is great to know.  I was looking at the details of the policy and really like that there is something like a future cruise credit in the form of 75% and you can cancel up to departure.  The biggest downside to this policy is medical evacuation is limited to $25,000 and the cost is more than private policies.

Now it says, the future cruise credit can't be used during blackout periods.  Does anyone know what are the blackout periods? Would it include spring break?

Also, of course I just purchased private trip insurance (not Cancel for any reason) yesterday for the family before I saw this.  Debating on the cost/risk/reward of buying additional insurance.  Does anyone know what would happen if someone had a 2 policies? I wouldn't buy for the entire family just the 2 people who could cancel.

Travel Insured International - Worldwide Trip Protector Plus has cancellation for any reason up to 48hrs prior to scheduled departure.  Fine prints says you must purchase the Worldwide Trip Protector Plus no longer than 21 days (30d for FL residents) after your trip deposit date.  They will refund up to 75% of non-refundable, insured trip costs

https://www.travelinsured.com/info/trip-cancellation-interruption 

16 hours ago, melski94 said:

Also, of course I just purchased private trip insurance (not Cancel for any reason) yesterday for the family before I saw this.  Debating on the cost/risk/reward of buying additional insurance.  Does anyone know what would happen if someone had a 2 policies? I wouldn't buy for the entire family just the 2 people who could cancel.

Check in the policy wording if they have "Free-Look" period where you can cancel the policy with a full refund.  

I bought cancel for any reason through allianz when we booked summer just in case of hurricanes where we couldn't fly into Puerto Rico or the weather just looked awful and we wouldn't want to go.   It was more expensive but not a ton.   I thought it was 100% refund but I could be wrong.   I would totally advise speaking to a travel agent if you have one you know.   They deal with this stuff all the time.  Jane

On 1/8/2018 at 7:33 AM, Matt said:

I know this is not terribly helpful, but I think the answer to all of your questions are going to be based on the exact policy you are considering.

Also keep in mind that it's actually easy enough to swap out people on a reservation, as opposed to adding or removing.  So if your son cant go, but you want to essentially remove him and add someone else, changing names on a reservation is doable.  

Smart advise here Matt. My wife did just that on a recent cruise with her high school friends on Vision of the Seas. Very easy to do.....