Dinner in the WJ

Gears

Despite all of our cruises on RC ships...there is one place we haven't eaten. Dinner in the Windjammer.

So, what's the typical dinner experience in the WJ? Is it just a repeat of lunch food wise? Do we need body armor and a seating strategy like breakfast/lunch?

We have had dinner in the WJ a few times because of excursions getting us back to the ship later in the afternoon. Rather than jumping through our butts to get cleaned up and suitable for the MDR, we decided to take a swim, have a drink and then get dressed. Was not disappointed in the WJ at all. In fact, last March on the Serenade they had goat curry as one off the dinner items. I have never had real curry, let alone, goat curry, but it was delicious. So good I had seconds! And yeas, that velvet cheesecake IS awesome!:27_sunglasses:

1 hour ago, Gears said:

Despite all of our cruises on RC ships...there is one place we haven't eaten. Dinner in the Windjammer.

So, what's the typical dinner experience in the WJ? Is it just a repeat of lunch food wise? Do we need body armor and a seating strategy like breakfast/lunch?

@CGTLH had some nice pics in his last live blog.  He did WJ recon most nights.  That might give you a good visual. :12_slight_smile:

Guest toodle68

Personally, I find the food in the WJ to be far better than the MDR. I love different or spicy foods and there are always great dishes to be had.  

The reason we do not eat there for dinner though, is that we enjoy the whole MDR experience. We can be in and out of WJ in 20 minutes having stuffed ourselves, but MDR is 90 minutes and more enjoyable.  I just wish they had some of the more different and spicy foods in the MDR.

15 hours ago, Gears said:

Wow...you have missed out. The WJ is the most relaxing and quietest place to have diner on the ship in my experience. It is NOTHING like breakfast......and its way better than lunch. I get a seat by the window overlooking the ocean almost every time I am there. Its less than half full....the food selection is great....and it takes a lot less time than the MDR.

There have been some cruises where I didn't eat at the MDR once for diner. You really need to try it!

41 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

The WJ is the most relaxing and quietest place to have diner on the ship in my experience. It is NOTHING like breakfas

Definitely accurate that dinner is nothing like breakfast in the Windjammer.  

The appeal of the Windjammer for dinner is two fold:

1. You don't have to dress up
  2. The sheer variety of food

Dinner is when you see the greatest variety of food in the Windjammer, and it seems to also be the most creative.  There are special themes on some nights, cooking stations, etc.  

On the Majesty we had first seating in the MDR and would go up to the Windjammer later for after-dinner snacks because why not. :5_smiley:

It was definitely different from what the MDR had and it all looked pretty good.  It also wasn't crowded at all (9ish).  We never skipped the MDR in favor of the Windjammer (why do one when you can have both!), but I wouldn't have been mad at all if we did.  They had good stuff up there, I would be totally fine with that being my only dinner for the day. :9_innocent:

Thanks @toodle68, @monctonguy, @Mattand everyone else. 

I'm looking at the 5 night dinner package for $115US each which sounds like a steal to me and two nights in the WJ.

The Ultimate Dinning package was a thought, but the lunch aspect is probably not something we would do.

We like the late MDR seating...but thinking we'll try a different angle this time...and possibly leave the formal wear at home.

I highly recommend trying dinner in the Windjammer on one of you cruises! Less pressure to dress up, go on your own time, and there really is a great variety of foods available. Something that I didn't think I would enjoy, and now something that my husband and I love to do after a busy day in port. 

We've skipped the MDR for various reasons, mainly been out all day and the wife can't be bothered to do hair/make-up/etc for the MDR. Must admit the food can be really good and I always try to hit WJ when it's Indian food as they do a great job and I love a decent ruby.

On 1/9/2018 at 7:13 PM, MikeK said:

We have done the windjammer dinner meal a few times and agree it is good with a wide variety.  But there is one thing the windjammer doesnt have......Lobster night!

Oh, but sometime they have :-) ,

Last year on Harmony of the seas  (from Barcelona) they had lobsters tails cooked in two different ways spicy and non spicy , they were awesome ,

On another cruise (western or eastern Caribbean)  we had the same  , its always hidden in the last stations ... 

What we are doing now is to check if there are lobsters in the MDR , if yes we will do recon in the WJ to check if they also have them , if not we will go to the MDR 

On 1/9/2018 at 8:10 PM, tiny260 said:

I read on some Royal cruise blog somewhere that they did offer lobster in the WJ, the person even had a picture to go with the blog, and they stated that it was all you could eat, serve yourself...

Here some picture to prove the Lobsters in WJ (Although I am not the one who post it in blog).

And yes it was eat as you can , so we took two every time (they were small) and once finished we went for some more until  we were full and anymore would bring us from the point of enjoy them to the point we wish we did not eat so much :-) 

L2.thumb.jpg.f0e691104af6f73a11ef1dd3198ca439.jpgL1.thumb.jpg.b4426cd24af3173e5169cd769ccd2be7.jpgL3.thumb.jpg.e9a2d2f1404ddebe9cf20eeada64fd01.jpgL4.thumb.jpg.57290ab9266f22cd4f9f89d6dd544383.jpg

On 1/8/2018 at 10:15 AM, rjac said:

I wish I could go to the WindJammer tonight!  But I will in another 76 days! (Allure B2B)!!!!!:11_blush:

I'm picking up you slack in the WindJammer tonight. It's still great food and there seem to be a lot of people that feel the same way...lots of people eat dinner in the WJ on this cruise.

Lobster in the windjammer!  Wow you learn something new everyday.   I guess I assumed (yes I know what they say about assume) there would be no lobster.  Does this happen on the same night as lobster night in the MDR?  I guess it would be asking too much for two lobster nights.

26 minutes ago, MikeK said:

Lobster in the windjammer!  Wow you learn something new everyday.   I guess I assumed (yes I know what they say about assume) there would be no lobster.  Does this happen on the same night as lobster night in the MDR?  I guess it would be asking too much for two lobster nights.

Yes , when I found them in the WJ it was usually at the same night but it is always good to check everyday  , its good to do WJ recon everyday before going to the MDR :5_smiley:

Mind , not always you have them.