My Time Dining and tips

cindy324

Hi everyone, so glad to have found this forum! My two kids and I will be taking our first cruise in two weeks from Galveston on Liberty of the Seas. I have chosen MTD when making the reservation online. I have been reading on several other forums/websites that for MTD you must have pre-paid gratuities. When I booked the cruise, it gave me the option to either pre-pay the $13.50/pp/pd gratuity charge or to have it charged to my onboard account at the end of the cruise. I chose to have it billed at the end. Yesterday I logged on to my account and was able to reserve MTD for each day of my cruise. Was this a glitch or does the system not recognize that I did not pre-pay gratuities and then they won't honor it once on board? I received e-mail confirmations as well. Thanks in advance for your input!

I tend to love most things Royal Caribbean but the website experience isn't one of them.  I often find little old tidbits of days gone by such as on Anthem.  It once had dynamic dining but that ended a while ago.  To this day it still references dynamic dining in the cruise planner even though that is long gone.   

Booking MTD on certain ships requires individual checkouts for each night while other ships you can make reservations for the whole cruise and check out once.  

I normally just let gratuity roll onto my onboard account and never have had an issue with MTD reservations.

Welcome to Royal IT. 

Thank you for the warm welcome :11_blush:. Appreciate all of your input! Can't wait to experience our first cruise.

On 1/5/2018 at 5:23 PM, twangster said:

I tend to love most things Royal Caribbean but the website experience isn't one of them.  I often find little old tidbits of days gone by such as on Anthem.  It once had dynamic dining but that ended a while ago.  To this day it still references dynamic dining in the cruise planner even though that is long gone.   

Booking MTD on certain ships requires individual checkouts for each night while other ships you can make reservations for the whole cruise and check out once.  

I normally just let gratuity roll onto my onboard account and never have had an issue with MTD reservations.

Welcome to Royal IT. 

Agreed. I did experience a couple of weird glitches when I first signed up. Not very user friendly. I literally had to "purchase" each day's MTD separately. When I tried to do it all at once the system only gave the option to modify, so I kept on changing the previous reservation to the next day, until I realized what was going on.

3 minutes ago, cindy324 said:

Thank you for the warm welcome :11_blush:. Appreciate all of your input! Can't wait to experience our first cruise.

Agreed. I did experience a couple of weird glitches when I first signed up. Not very user friendly. I literally had to "purchase" each day's MTD separately. When I tried to do it all at once the system only gave the option to modify, so I kept on changing the previous reservation to the next day, until I realized what was going on.

A trick when booking MTD for the first time is to use the "Plan All Cruise Dining" button.

Using this presents a page where you can make all reservations at once for each night and "purchase" them only once.  You do have to scroll past all the other dining options to find "My Time".

dining.jpeg.9b58792cbd85df6e58a442693f75e4c7.jpeg

1 minute ago, cindy324 said:

Ahhh, thanks for the tip @twangster . Will know for next time.

Learned through mistakes.  I did a 9 night cruise and went through one by one, day by day, "purchasing" each one individually, filling out my name and email address each time, 9 times.  When I found that shortcut I was like... Doh! 

16 minutes ago, twangster said:

Learned through mistakes.  I did a 9 night cruise and went through one by one, day by day, "purchasing" each one individually, filling out my name and email address each time, 9 times.  When I found that shortcut I was like... Doh! 

Me...literally :3_grin:

• 2 weeks later...

We are set for a September cruise on Adventure of the Sea.  When we originally booked (while we were on a Celebrity cruise) we were only given the option of MTD. One of the other 3 couples we are travelling with somehow got Traditional dining for 5:30 each day. No matter how much the 2 travel agents involved try, it seems it is impossible to change to traditional dining option.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Obviously, we would like to eat together as a group and have the same servers, etc each night, but this isn't happening at this point.

17 minutes ago, TF47 said:

We are set for a September cruise on Adventure of the Sea.  When we originally booked (while we were on a Celebrity cruise) we were only given the option of MTD. One of the other 3 couples we are travelling with somehow got Traditional dining for 5:30 each day. No matter how much the 2 travel agents involved try, it seems it is impossible to change to traditional dining option.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Obviously, we would like to eat together as a group and have the same servers, etc each night, but this isn't happening at this point.

Welcome to the message board!

In advance when a particular dining option or time becomes fully booked they can't any more guests to that time.  

As soon as you board you can visit the dining rooms and request a change or even that you all be seated at the same table.  They try to accommodate requests of this nature but other guests may also be requesting changes on board so I suggest doing this soon after boarding. 

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

Welcome to the message board!

In advance when a particular dining option or time becomes fully booked they can't any more guests to that time.  

As soon as you board you can visit the dining rooms and request a change or even that you all be seated at the same table.  They try to accommodate requests of this nature but other guests may also be requesting changes on board so I suggest doing this soon after boarding. 

Thanks for the info.  Our previous cruise experience was with Celebrity, and they did things a bit differently. Not sure how the one couple got it set up and the rest of us couldn't.  And we made the reservations last May. 

15 minutes ago, TF47 said:

Thanks for the info.  Our previous cruise experience was with Celebrity, and they did things a bit differently. Not sure how the one couple got it set up and the rest of us couldn't.  And we made the reservations last May. 

You can ask to be wait listed for fixed time dining.  Your travel agent should be able to do that for you.

• 3 years later...
28 minutes ago, Alison James said:

Can you use My Time Dining and pay your Tips by using the Envelopes at the end of the cruise?

Or, are the tips added to your account automatically when using my Time Dining?  I know they were when it was introduced but think it has since been changed.

Many thanks.

Gratuities are automatically charged.  These grats include dining (MTD and/or traditional dining) and  room attendant.  IF you want to add additional gratuities you can always do that, but they are auto charged.  You can prepay them or have them charged to your onboard account daily.

On 1/7/2018 at 10:20 AM, twangster said:

A trick when booking MTD for the first time is to use the "Plan All Cruise Dining" button.

Using this presents a page where you can make all reservations at once for each night and "purchase" them only once.  You do have to scroll past all the other dining options to find "My Time".

dining.jpeg.9b58792cbd85df6e58a442693f75e4c7.jpeg

Thanks for this tip. I have done the whole, one day at a time booking some many times and was so frustrated, even did it fir four reservations for a family group 12 nights, so you can only imagine how long that took me. Well no more, this is the best tip ever, thank you