Best city to live in?

i may be in a position this coming summer to consider a cross country relocation.  The thought of enduring Florida summers doesn't appeal to me but proximity to multiple cruise ports sure does.  I've lived near the coast in the Carolinas so I don't fear hurricanes (but I do respect them). 

Living close to many cruise ports may be hazardous to my bank account.  

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:54 AM, RCVoyager said:

Gotta disagree with this completely.  DFW is a great place to live.  Cruising from Galveston is not my first choice, but it's a nice choice.  With the DFW airport right there, you can go anywhere in the world for your next cruise.  There is tons to do in Dallas, great restaurants... and no state income tax in Texas.  It's hot in the summer, but pretty good weather the rest of the year.  

I was attempting to be funny....I failed.  Actually, I just completed my first cruise and it departed out of Galveston.  We arrived in Galveston the day befor ehte cruise shortly before noon and stayed pretty much on the beach side of the island.  I got to say I was pleased at the friendly, helpful, upbeat attitude of virtually everyone I met down there!  It was a delightful day, despite the chill in the air and at least partially because of that we have booked our next cruise out of Galveston as well!  Our only disappointment in this choice was the voyage outgoing and incoming thru the gulf as it was choppy, windy, and cold.  Really couldn't enjoy above-deck much until we got in the Caribbean.  Of course I have never sailed anywhere else so have no way of knowing if the Atlantic is similar.

1 hour ago, LetsTryThisTech said:

I have to say Grand Cayman is probably one of the nicest places to live. Warm all year, probably less hurricanes than Florida. TAX-FREE :10_wink::10_wink::10_wink:

Amazing scuba diving, stingray city, quick plane trip to most major cities in Florida. What more do you need?

I won’t argue any point with you!! You are lucky! But isn’t there is some kind of employment tax on non-citizens that is really high? 

2 minutes ago, Hutcherl said:

But isn’t there is some kind of employment tax on non-citizens that is really high? 

:42_confused::42_confused::42_confused: No, we do have work permit fees but that is paid by the employer unless you are lucky enough to be here for 10 years then to be a permanent resident you do need to pay a fee but if you're with a company that long they will most likely cover that too.

On 1/30/2018 at 3:51 PM, jce2 said:

I was attempting to be funny....I failed.  Actually, I just completed my first cruise and it departed out of Galveston.  We arrived in Galveston the day befor ehte cruise shortly before noon and stayed pretty much on the beach side of the island.  I got to say I was pleased at the friendly, helpful, upbeat attitude of virtually everyone I met down there!  It was a delightful day, despite the chill in the air and at least partially because of that we have booked our next cruise out of Galveston as well!  Our only disappointment in this choice was the voyage outgoing and incoming thru the gulf as it was choppy, windy, and cold.  Really couldn't enjoy above-deck much until we got in the Caribbean.  Of course I have never sailed anywhere else so have no way of knowing if the Atlantic is similar.

No problem jce2.  I hope I didn't come on too strong with my reply.  If you want to go to the Caribbean and have dependable weather, with the possible exception of September and October, San Juan is the ticket.  The Gulf and even Cayman and Jamaica can get the tail end of the fronts that cross the lower 48... especially in winter.  It can be cool, cloudy, and windy for days.

15 hours ago, RCVoyager said:

The Gulf and even Cayman and Jamaica can get the tail end of the fronts that cross the lower 48... especially in winter.  It can be cool, cloudy, and windy for days.

You say cool but the lowest it ever gets even with a cold front is in the 70s. Even when that big storm froze Northern Florida we were at perfect temps.

On 1/30/2018 at 3:09 PM, LetsTryThisTech said:

I have to say Grand Cayman is probably one of the nicest places to live. Warm all year, probably less hurricanes than Florida. TAX-FREE :10_wink::10_wink::10_wink:

Amazing scuba diving, stingray city, quick plane trip to most major cities in Florida. What more do you need?

But the cost of opening a bank account is terrible!   ;0)

3 hours ago, LetsTryThisTech said:

You say cool but the lowest it ever gets even with a cold front is in the 70s. Even when that big storm froze Northern Florida we were at perfect temps.

You keep on bragging like this and our Canadian contingent is going to hunt you down and stick you in a freezer!!!!

4 minutes ago, Floski said:

You keep on bragging like this and our Canadian contingent is going to hunt you down and stick you in a freezer!!!!

I remember when I went back for college. Luckily, I met an amazing local who is now my wife, :12_slight_smile: so hopefully, I won't have to go back anytime soon. Its one of those places you think oh I could never live there its too small, then you visit and decide to never go home lol.

15 minutes ago, LetsTryThisTech said:

Only for the ones who don't live here. :15_yum: Don't worry my fee is smaller :10_wink: lol

Quick unrelated, but cruise related question:

Has George Town decided one way or another if they were going to dredge the port so that tendering would not be necessary?

The issue is environmental and in going through with the project would detrimentally effect the reef system; on the other hand, piers with direct access would allow for larger ships and more of them. It's a difficult choice.

2 minutes ago, bobroo said:

Quick unrelated, but cruise related question:

Has George Town decided one way or another if they were going to dredge the port so that tendering would not be necessary?

The issue is environmental and in going through with the project would detrimentally effect the reef system; on the other hand, piers with direct access would allow for larger ships and more of them. It's a difficult choice.

Discussed in another thread with @LetsTryThisTech :

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5461-daily-periscope-of-grand-cayman-port/&do=findComment&comment=55465

17 hours ago, LetsTryThisTech said:

I know the 70s is not cold.  But when you are on vacation and want to go to the beach and other outdoor activities (say a trip to Stingray City), the 70s with clouds and wind are not what you want.  I love Cayman, and I am somewhat envious of those who live there, but I've had two vacations (out of about 6) affected by weather there.