First time Cruiser - Carry on Beverages?

Angella

What is allowed to carry onboard?

Bottle of wine per person (2 per stateroom)?

Case of water?

12 pack of favorite non alcoholic beverages?

Please help I have to inform our group and i have seen mixed comments. as well as variations at check in myself in the past.

In North America:

By policy it is just 2 - 750ml bottles of wine per cabin in your carry on.

Many people seem to be able to carry on small cases of water and they get through with it but technically it isn't allowed.

What ever you carry on you have to keep with you until cabins are ready, typically 1pm on most ships.

17 minutes ago, Angella said:

Bottle of wine per person (2 per stateroom)?

Welcome aboard Angella!  You can bring  two bottles of wine (750 ml) per stateroom. If you bring a case of water and 12 pack of soda on board, you will have to carry/drag that around until your stateroom is ready for occupancy. Have you considered one of the drink packages? Royal does have a non alcoholic drink package (as well as alcoholic) that gets you all the bottled water and soda (coke products) yes want to consume. Plus, the water and soda will be cold. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask away with any questions you have, there are many seasoned, well traveled Royal Caribbean cruisers here to help out!:27_sunglasses:

The only firm / unquestionable thing you can bring on board is two bottles of wine per stateroom. You can be traveling solo and still bring two bottles. If you happen to be a family split across two cabins, you can bring four bottles on board (two for each cabin you have booked), even if there are no adults in that second cabin.

The rest of your question is more of a gray area, unfortunately. The consensus seems to be that you can put a 12-pack or 24-pack of bottled water in your carry-on, and 99% of the time the security guards who check your carry-on during boarding will not bat an eye. But you need to be prepared to get that one guard who lives by the book and won't allow you to bring it on board.

Soda or flavored water seems to be the same as bottled water, as people have reported bringing on 12-packs or even cases of soda with no more issue than bringing water. Again, just be ready to get that one guard who says "the book" is the only thing that matters.

The key with any of these is to bring them in your carry-on bag, not any of your checked luggage. If you put it in the checked luggage, it will be confiscated 100% of the time, and you'll have to go to the security area to get your luggage.

We've taken a 24 pack of water on, twice.  Once in Port Canaveral, and once in Boston.  In Port Canaveral the porter said we had to carry it on, he can't put it with the checked luggage in case it leaks.  In Boston we had all the guards (4 or 5) we passed warn us we might not be allowed to bring it on.  We told each one politely we'd been allowed to do it before, and next thing you know we're onboard.  No one actually stopped us, just warned us someone else down the line might deny the water entry.  I just carried it around til our room was ready on both occasions.

• 2 months later...

The worst case scenario is that the luggage with fluids in it will be held and you will get a note saying to come down to the area where they are holding it.  They will have you open it to confirm the liquids are non-alcohol and give it back to you.  This is precisely what happened to me in January.  My wife had stomach surgery and drinks virtually nothing but "ice" (lightly carbonated flavored water).  I bought her 24 bottles of it at the Galveston Wal-Mart and loaded them all into a small roll-on suitcase.  Sure enough all my bags arrived in my room but that one.  A short time later I got a card instructing me where to go and specifying that the luggage was being held for possible alcohol.  The purser had me open the bag and as soon as he saw the bottles, gave me the okay and me and my luggage made our way back to the room (I did NOT have to explain my wife's situation).  No problems!

Okay, I guess that isnt the "worst case scenario".  That would be they confiscate it and you are simply out the cost of the beverage.

I have taken a case of 30 cans of Diet Coke in a small suitcase or soft bag, checked it in with luggage and not had a problem, it has been delivered to cabin. Others on here have said it must be carried on but that is not my experience. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2018 at 9:04 PM, JLMoran said:

Given the way the porters were literally throwing our suitcases onto the large roller carts for loading onto the ship, I'd be really leery about putting anything carbonated into the checked bags! :51_scream:

You are correct; that's why I carry my "cans" on in a knapsack.

On 4/4/2018 at 5:50 PM, MattHird said:

I have taken a case of 30 cans of Diet Coke in a small suitcase or soft bag, checked it in with luggage and not had a problem, it has been delivered to cabin. Others on here have said it must be carried on but that is not my experience. 

I found it depends on who is at curbside and if they see it, they will tell you they can't check it; lazy.

• 1 year later...
12 minutes ago, Clear Laker said:

We have taken a collapsible cooler in the past (no issue bringing it on the ship).  The issue is getting ice for it.  We used it when we went to the beach and stopped for drinks at a store.

I don't know what ice machines the cabin stewards use but would assume you could slip him $5 -$10 to fill it up for you.  Maybe more than one or two bags of ice would normally cost but also less hassle trying to get ice on your own

Hey Jane.  It is specifically allowed now.  But in mid 2018 when this OP was made, it was kind of an ugly grey area where it was a dont ask dont tell regarding sodas or water.  

So glad Royal clarified their carryon policy to allow a 12 pack of water or soda along with the 2 bottles of wine per cabin.  

1 minute ago, ThyriC said:

Hey Jane.  It is specifically allowed now.  But in mid 2018 when this OP was made, it was kind of an ugly grey area where it was a dont ask dont tell regarding sodas or water.  

So glad Royal clarified their carryon policy to allow a 12 pack of water or soda along with the 2 bottles of wine per cabin.  

Ahhh lol...didn’t even look at the original post date lol!  That will teach me to assume it is recent!  Thanks @ThyriC !  Jane

On 5/30/2019 at 9:33 PM, ThyriC said:

Are the two bottles of wine only on embarkation day?  Flying into the UK and going straight to the ship, so I was wondering if the policy is two bottle per cabin could we bring those aboard on at a later port

2 minutes ago, markm said:

Are the two bottles of wine only on embarkation day?  Flying into the UK and going straight to the ship, so I was wondering if the policy is two bottle per cabin could we bring those aboard on at a later port

My understanding is yes, it has to be on embarkation day. Any other day they will take it and put it up.

The UK and Mediterranean could be different.

50 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

Pinging @hayley_bopp to see if she knows.

The policy in the UK & Med is the same - toy carb bring 2 bottles of wine per cabin onboard at embarkation. Any purchased at ports of call will be taken at the gangway and returned to you in the last night. 

@markm are you cruising from Southampton? If so, I'd recommend stopping at a supermarket/convenience store on the way to the port - Tesco, Asda and The Cooperative all have branches in the vicinity of the port. If you're getting an RC coach transfer and going straight from the airport to the ship, you're allowed to bring 1 bottle per person into the UK if coming in from outside EU.