What promotions should Royal Caribbean do?

Marc

The BOGOHO (buy one, get second passenger half-off) promotion has been going on for many months. Perhaps it's time to consider something new.

I recently discovered that NCL has a very interesting promotion going on for bookings made between mid-December and the end of January. It's called "Freestyle Choice" and, in general, lets you choose what benefit you get from a list of three:

• Free "Ultimate Dining Package" (unlimited flat-rate specialty restaurants)
  • Free "Ultimate Beverage Package"
  • $200 in onboard credit

If you book a full suite, you get all three of those (and the onboard credit is increased to $300).

The free beverage package is really valuable. I'm probably going to book an NCL cruise to take advantage of that. Although I'm not a heavy drinker, considering the soda and wine packages I would typically purchase, getting them and mixed drinks for free, too, makes it worthwhile.

I'd love to see Royal Caribbean do something like this. I think they could get a lot of buzz for a promotion this aggressive.

I agree that RC need to try something different, The never ending (despite what they say) BOGOHO promo is getting old and, for many sailings, isn't even a deal,  although the addition of the OBC in the last one got me to book a 4 day cruise.  I saw the NCL ad and agree that is a pretty nice offer.  Something like that from Royal would be nice but this time they need to let us C & A members take our discounts with it also.

I debated between booking the the Norwegian Getaway. But I ended up going with the Navigator of the Seas due to price.

We booked a balcony cabin on deck 12, one of the new ones added during the dry dock. With all fees, insurance, and prepaid gratuities we totaled $1889. Then we got a $250 on board credit ( $200 from RCCI, $50 from our travel agent) on top of that.

With the Getaway our total WITHOUT gratuities would have been $2212. A difference of $323, then add in the the cost of gratuities and on board credit we came out over $700 ahead. My wife doesn't drink much the beverage package wouldn't help much for her.

Also keep in mind that the NCL drink package does not provide bottled water.

I debated between booking the the Norwegian Getaway. But I ended up going with the Navigator of the Seas due to price.

We booked a balcony cabin on deck 12, one of the new ones added during the dry dock. With all fees, insurance, and prepaid gratuities we totaled $1889. Then we got a $250 on board credit ( $200 from RCCI, $50 from our travel agent) on top of that.

With the Getaway our total WITHOUT gratuities would have been $2212. A difference of $323, then add in the the cost of gratuities and on board credit we came out over $700 ahead. My wife doesn't drink much the beverage package wouldn't help much for her.

Also keep in mind that the NCL drink package does not provide bottled water.

Well, you are preaching the choir here but I think you made the right decision ;)  Navigator is a fabulous ship

Getting close to pulling the trigger on Norwegian Escape for the 2016 Spring break cruise, primarily because of the Freestyle Drinking offer noted above.

Priced it against the Freedom of the Seas for the same week and FOTS is about $300 cheaper. Throw in free drink packages though and the value flips over for me. Throw in a new ship, new cruise line and a new port and I think we are going to try something different.

Only issue now is if the school confirms the 2015-16 calendar before the end of the month so I can book before the promo ends. If not I may have to take a guess and/or drop a couple if deposits to be safe :)

KSF was nice, BOGO was ok but the true value of the RCI promo has faded out over the last few months as it became "the standard price".

I'd like to see more promotions like Celebrity has run in the past where you could choose between prepaid gratuities, drink packages, etc.Agree

Agreed.....Celebrity seems to do this VERY often.....and I know the others do fairly often as well.

I have never seen this before with Royal.

They don't seem to offer much in the way of incentives based on what I have seen the past 3 years i have been booking with them.

I saw a rumor mentioned on Facebook that for February, Royal Caribbean will be offering beverage packages as a perk for new bookings.

Although that wouldn't help me for my existing bookings, it'll be nice to see them do something that, at this point, is bound to be more popular than another month of BOGOHO.

I saw a rumor that NCL was planning a KSF (Kids Sail Free) Promo starting 2/1 ... my current plan is too book Escape for Thanksgiving 2016 with the Free Beverage Package and then reprice in Feb to see how it compares.

Until RCL extends their booking window I am basically tapped out anyway .. already got my two booked for '15 and they don't offer Thanksgiving '16 yet to compare with.

I saw a rumor mentioned on Facebook that for February, Royal Caribbean will be offering beverage packages as a perk for new bookings.

Although that wouldn't help me for my existing bookings, it'll be nice to see them do something that, at this point, is bound to be more popular than another month of BOGOHO.

Free drinks is potentially a lot of money.  For 7-night cruises, that's around $400 per person (depending on the package they offer)

I saw a rumor that NCL was planning a KSF (Kids Sail Free) Promo starting 2/1 ... my current plan is too book Escape for Thanksgiving 2016 with the Free Beverage Package and then reprice in Feb to see how it compares.

Until RCL extends their booking window I am basically tapped out anyway .. already got my two booked for '15 and they don't offer Thanksgiving '16 yet to compare with.

I expect a KSF offer to come back again sometime this year.  Last year they rolled out in March I believe.

The mention I saw on Facebook said that it was for "new bookings only". In the past, even canceling and trying to book it again would be seen as a rebooking and disqualify you for the promotion.

Some people have sort of rebooked by changing their ship or sail date in order to take advantage of "new bookings only" promotions.

I expect a KSF offer to come back again sometime this year.  Last year they rolled out in March I believe.

It was May 1.  The reason I know is because I booked that day, before the computer algorithms figured out people like me would book two rooms, each one with one adult and one child.  We wound up getting two connecting oceanview rooms for just $30 more than jamming all 4 of us in one.

Kids sail free is the ticket. MSC in addition to typically best rates in Caribbean on beautiful new ship has standing kids sail free across the fleet worldwide. Huge savings for families & huge marketing advantage. They also award loyalty pts for OB expenses - 1 pt for $200 spent thus you can more quickly move up loyalty categories. Royal pts for OB $ would be nice & keep them RCI competitive. They could also allow earning loyalty pts across the RCI Brand. You can use the loyalty level across Brand but pts earning restricted to RC, Celebrity, or Azumara -- combine into one Brand program. The price tag for Royal Caribbean Brand loyalty is getting huge & becoming unsustainable! Recently priced MSC Divina & Freedom OTS 7nt Balcony Eastern Caribe 2 adult 2 children - $1800 vs $4600. RC kids fare higher than MSC adult fare. $2400 is a lot of loyalty!