Cruise Discounts JH Vitality

Larry Muster

Has anyone ever heard of John Hancock Vitality?  This is not a sales pitch but is going to sound like one. 

I was making some changes to my life insurance and my agent asked me about Vitality because he knew I liked to cruise.  Vitality is a savings/life insurance plan that encourages healthy living through various challenges and activities that earn you points.  As you earn points you unlock certain benefits.  One of the benefits is discounted Royal Caribbean cruises.  To use the benefit I have to book the cruise through a specific website.  I’m nearing the tier where the discount jumps to a level that I’d consider using it.

At the top tier the benefit claims 50% off and is capped at X nights per year and Y nights lifetime.  It just sounds too good to be true and I feel like there is some other fine print that is going to make it less than what it appears at face value.  Anyone else heard of Vitality and tried this? 

Larry

All of the other rewards with John Hancock Vitality have been exactly as advertised and any fine-print was up front.  For example, I got a free iWatch, but they were totally up front about how many steps per month I needed to get to avoid having to pay. 

For the cruise benefit, I am at the 30% off tier and I submitted an inquiry through the agent required in the John Hancock program.

I plugged in two of my upcoming cruises to compare what JH says I will spend compared to what I actually booked it for.  On my ’19 Symphony cruise, JH showed me only about a $500 savings on my balcony room.  On my ’18 Adventure cruise, JH shows about $1000 on my balcony room. 

Based on the caps built into the program, I may use it on the Adventure cruise but not the Symphony.  Saving only $500 is not worth it, especially when the JH program requires me to pay in full up front.

-Larry

• 4 months later...

Booked my first cruise through John Hancock Vitality program.  I’m at the Gold level with JH that gets me 40% off.  I showed it to my MEI Travel contact who agreed it was a pretty amazing deal and way better than what he could offer.

The website I had to submit payment on felt a little sketchy but all of the other John Hancock rewards have worked out fine so I went forward and made it happen.  

Hi Larry

We have what sounds like the same program in South Africa and it is linked to our medical aid - called "Discovery Vitality" We have booked our second RC cruise and we got "cash back" on both cruises through Vitality. Our flights to Fort Lauderdale with Emirates was also discounted through Vitality. If it is the same thing I would recommend it. There is a lot of other benefits you should also look at.!

Enjoy your cruise

Boschie