Next Cruise... is it really worth it?

I'm currently on the Rhapsody of the Seas and I can tell you that the Next Cruise desks have been empty throughout the cruise. I also had a conversation with the staff there and they had even expressed how future bookings have dropped drastically since the deposits/incentives guidelines have changed. I can tell you that this is the FIRST time I have not purchased any future cruises and have no desire to do so. Also, RCCL's new "dollars off" future cruise incentive is a trap. This booking incentive is ONLY NON-REFUNDABLE and ONLY offered while you are onboard. RCCL has now stepped into an area where most cruisers will look elsewhere to book cruises and/or another cruiseline altogether. Everyone onboard that I have spoken with expressed their disappointment with RCCL and will be lookng into other alternatives. All I can say is 2019/2020 is around the corner and other cruise line oferrings are looking pretty good!! Time to even start looking into the competition such as MSC and the long awaited Virgin Voyages, the supposed adults only cruise line!!  Happy 2018 !!

The downside of that $100 non-refundable is that you can't change your sail date or ship. Defeats the purpose of having a "flexible" deposit as many of us know that plans change at any given point up to and including final payment..  You lose $100 as a change fee. Not worth it as loyal RCCL cruisers who cruise 4, 5 or 6 times a year with RCCL should be treated fairly and respected instead of being treated as "cha-ching".

Guest toodle68

I have always been curious about the reason for the non refundable deposit. Every cruise I go on is full, so it is not like they end up with empty rooms.. and up until full payment, you can still call and get your price knocked down to the current deal using the same reservation number..  The last time I used next cruise, I enjoyed talking to someone face to face and figuring out our options since there was going to be 6 of us.  When it is just me and the wife, getting real time info is not important.

I do not know if this is across the industry, but my issue is still the lack of flexibility after final payment. Leading up to my last cruise, I was unable to change a booking that would have resulting in cancelling one, but paying more for another on the same cruise.

I've also discovered there can be fine print and nuances to the Next OBC.  The slides they show say 'Can be combined with most other discounts and offers" but in my recent experience 'most' has resulted in 'not in your case'.  I didn't visit Next on the cruise I just got off.  I do better with my regular travel agent.

Just now, toodle68 said:

I have always been curious about the reason for the non refundable deposit.

A lot of people would book something just to book something then change it later on land.  This caused a lot of instability in bookings 91-120 days out as folks cancelled or moved to a different cruise.  The non-refundable is all about locking people in and having more predictable bookings to avoid having to discount fares 60-90 days.  

Yea, I was thinking of booking an Alaska 2019 cruise while on board in Liberty in January but now will price/itinerary shop the other cruise lines as well.  This will be my first cruise so I don't fall into the "Loyal to Royal" category yet.  Was 2017 a bad year for Royal? I remember when I first booked my reservation a year ago I would come out here and to the FB group and hear nothing but praise for RCCL, but it seems the last few months have been largely negative!  Fortunately most of the negativism has been directed toward policies, and pre-baording stuff (web site, price increases etc.) and not toward staff, food, etc. on-board.  Still excited for my first cruise in a week!

39 minutes ago, jce2 said:

Was 2017 a bad year for Royal? I remember when I first booked my reservation a year ago I would come out here and to the FB group and hear nothing but praise for RCCL, but it seems the last few months have been largely negative!  Fortunately most of the negativism has been directed toward policies, and pre-baording stuff (web site, price increases etc.) and not toward staff, food, etc. on-board.  Still excited for my first cruise in a week!

$55M loss from 2017 hurricanes.   So yeah, not a great year.   

I don't understand the purpose of booking with Next Cruise at all, especially not now.  I can see what @toodle68 is saying by having someone to talk to but you can almost always get a better deal on land now.  Even that $100 OBC, it seems like they offer that with a booking often even if you are not on board.

2 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

I remember many years ago when you sailed, you were treated with respect and service that was impeccable. What you paid for back then was well worth the price. Now, you get the "Walmart" service and treatment that comes with a "Hermes Matte Crocodile Birkin Bag" price tag, metaphorically. 

I don't think this is exclusive to RC.  Reading on other boards, there seems to be more of a trend among many cruise lines between suites and "steerage".  Even with MSC as mentioned above, I've been on CC a lot over the last two weeks reading from people on board right now and the general consensus is yacht club or don't bother.  Up charges, lack of personalized service, increased fees...it's all across the cruise industry.  Don't shoot the messenger...just sharing what I've read lately....?

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I've also discovered there can be fine print and nuances to the Next OBC.  The slides they show say 'Can be combined with most other discounts and offers" but in my recent experience 'most' has resulted in 'not in your case'.  I didn't visit Next on the cruise I just got off.  I do better with my regular travel agent.

A lot of people would book something just to book something then change it later on land.  This caused a lot of instability in bookings 91-120 days out as folks cancelled or moved to a different cruise.  The non-refundable is all about locking people in and having more predictable bookings to avoid having to discount fares 60-90 days.  

I get that, but if that's the goal, discount it enough to make it worth my while not to change. 

This is the exact reason I'm booked on 5 Celebrity (yes same company) and only one RCCL (that one is non-refundable). Yes Celebrity too has now a non-refund policy, but they offer a choice, so I pay the $200 extra to make it refundable.  You never know what life holds so I would much rather not have to lose a dime if I don't have to. I also so take the insurance as well. 

2 minutes ago, UkuleleCruiser said:

I get that, but if that's the goal, discount it enough to make it worth my while not to change. 

They sort of do.  On the Symphony TA nonrefundable was $500 cheaper than refundable.  On the Alaska GC it's $200 cheaper.   Refundable hasn't been eliminated, just unattractive.  I didn't try to book at Next requesting refundable but I'm pretty sure you can.  

17 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

I don't think this is exclusive to RC.  Reading on other boards, there seems to be more of a trend among many cruise lines between suites and "steerage".  Even with MSC as mentioned above, I've been on CC a lot over the last two weeks reading from people on board right now and the general consensus is yacht club or don't bother.  Up charges, lack of personalized service, increased fees...it's all across the cruise industry.  Don't shoot the messenger...just sharing what I've read lately....?

I agree with you that it's across the board but it's getting to the point that many individuals will shop and sail different cruises and want the flexibility to change/move reservations around instead of being forced into the "NON-REFUNDABLE ABYSS".  For example, I would pay for good service instead of giving a gratuity to someone I only see at the end of the cruise, i.e., Maitre D', who doesn't even know my name but has their hand out at the end of the cruise. The cabin steward does way more.

1 minute ago, princevaliantus said:

I agree with you that it's across the board but it's getting to the point that many individuals will shop and sail different cruises and want the flexibility to change/move reservations around instead of being forced into the "NON-REFUNDABLE ABYSS".  Foe example, I would pay for good service instead of giving a gratuity to someone I only see at the end of the cruise, i.e., Maitre D', who doesn't even know my name but has their hand out at the end of the cruise. The cabin steward does way more.

Yes, I totally agree with you on all points there.  The low, fully refundable ($49pp) deposit on the Seaside was one of the points that swayed us over in the first place.  And I have major issues with the Maitre'D and their one single appearance too, but that is a whole other issue...

So I just heard from my TA.....he recommends making a "placeholder" cruise......anyone hear of this? He makes it sound like I can make the rez onboard and he can change it later

EDIT:  Think he may have cruise lines confused..... PLaceholder Cruise seems to be a Disney concept

1 hour ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Yes, I totally agree with you on all points there.  The low, fully refundable ($49pp) deposit on the Seaside was one of the points that swayed us over in the first place.  And I have major issues with the Maitre'D and their one single appearance too, but that is a whole other issue...

You must tell me how the Seaside compared to the Oasis after you sail with MSC. I am taking MSC into consideration. 

1 hour ago, princevaliantus said:

You must tell me how the Seaside compared to the Oasis after you sail with MSC. I am taking MSC into consideration. 

Will do.  I've been chatting with a lady on CC (that board seems to have the most MSC info at this point) the last few days who told me that she has sailed in a CLS a few times on Oasis and Allure and 13 times in YC on MSC Divina.  So she is basically comparing sky class to YC.  She told me that YC is by far the more superior product and for less money (most times).  I asked her for details and she explained, "Both beautiful ships with amazing cabins...but the lounge was nothing like Top Sail on Divina and it was so nice having free cocktails 24/7 as opposed to happy hour on RC from 5-8pm.  Also, YC restaurant was very superior to CK in service, food, and selection.  And having a butler vs. just a room steward was amazing in every way!"  That is from her experience on the Divina which I am hoping will extend to Seaside.

Interestingly enough, I just received a msg. from a good friend of mine who knows someone who just got off the seaside today and it was reported that the butler ratio on the seaside is 1:26!  On other MSC ships it is 1:12.  So yes, it will be an interesting comparison come July.  Unless I bail before then lol... 

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

MSC has a status match program.  They'll give you their highest Black level if you are D/D+.   A photo of my Anthem SeaPass card was all it took.   Competition is a good thing.  Keep RC on their toes.  

We just did ours too.  Not going to get to Diamond by July (only 5 points out ?) so we were matched to their Gold status from Emerald.  I just took a screen shot from the C&A page and sent it to them.

57 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

We just did ours too.  Not going to get to Diamond by July (only 5 points out ?) so we were matched to their Gold status from Emerald.  I just took a screen shot from the C&A page and sent it to them.

We had a Seaside cruise next December. We changed to Anthem. My husband loves the bumper cars.

4 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

After 15 (soon to be 16) consecutive RC cruises I bit the bullet and reserved an MSC Seaside cruise.  An interior for 4 on Rhapsody was $2767, with a $1000 deposit.  No other perks.  The same week on Seaside was $2365, in a BALCONY room, with two 12 drink coupons and free internet, $100 OBC, and only $96 deposit.  It was a no-brainer.

1 minute ago, bcarney said:

After 15 (soon to be 16) consecutive RC cruises I bit the bullet and reserved an MSC Seaside cruise.  An interior for 4 on Rhapsody was $2767, with a $1000 deposit.  No other perks.  The same week on Seaside was $2365, in a BALCONY room, with two 12 drink coupons and free internet, $100 OBC, and only $96 deposit.  It was a no-brainer.

WOW!! Keep me posted on your experience with MSC as I'm considering them as well!!

36 minutes ago, bcarney said:

I would like to hear about your experience too. All things considered, when you disembark, will it be a better overall experience (cost included in that)?

There is a difference between 'lower price' and 'better price'. If someone was to ask me what the lowest price cruise line was I wouldn't say RC. If they were to ask me which is the best value I would say RC.

2 hours ago, bcarney said:

No brainer for me too...just to throw in a few more numbers...we booked the Seaside for July 21 in a YC deluxe suite. Total price for two was $3692.20. That includes a 10% off teachers discount which MSC gives but RC doesn't. Without the teacher's discount it was $4050.  Deposit was $49pp, fully refundable until 90 days prior. With YC you get: a butler, all drinks included, priority embarkation/seatings, all week access to thermal spa, 24/7 access to private lounge and restaurant for all meals, private sundeck with pool and bar/food area etc.  Booked a JS on Harmony for July 28 as a back up plan. That was $4550.86. Deposit was $500, refundable because I booked this before NRD kicked in. So JS not only more expensive but way less privileges and YC cheaper and more privileges than Sky class on RC. This is why, although I love RC, I could not walk away from trying Seaside.

@bcarney...when are you sailing? I really want feedback from someone who is a seasoned RC cruiser to compare the MSC experience...

1 hour ago, Gears said:

There is a difference between 'lower price' and 'better price'. If someone was to ask me what the lowest price cruise line was I wouldn't say RC. If they were to ask me which is the best value I would say RC.

I could not agree more with this statement. I have always felt that RC has the best value and is the best fit for our cruising style. Hopefully that doesn't change...

I too am booked on MSC Seaside, March 31... I was going to go with a Royal option, but the Next Cruise changes, plus some of the drink package changes really just put up a red flag for me.   I just finished a 12nt Anthem that was quite nice, but I really think now is the time to spread my wings and check out what else is out there.  I never thought I'd choose another line, but RCI has convinced me to do so.  The status match, plus automatic 15% off your fare for first responders and teachers, plus OBC & drinks, and the already low fare... it was actually a really easy decision for me.  

I consider myself pretty easy to please, but I just don't like to feel as though I'm being taken advantage of, and as of late, I'd be lying if I said I had not felt that way with my friends at RCI.   I'll never dispute their incredible product, but some of the changes are just a wee bit difficult to swallow as a veteran cruiser.  

I guess I now get to see if the grass is truly greener.  :-) 

I forgot to add, a lot of the stuff MSC is offering is nothing more than perceived value.  I understand there is little to no cost with a lot of what they offer, but on the consumer end, the perception of 'savings' is there.  That's where I feel RCI is struggling, at least with me, right now.  I love pricing integrity, I studied it, I understand it.  But there is still that part of me that sees other lines, with other perceived values that make me log on to check out what they have.  

I might add that my MSC cruise booking came about because I saw a commercial and didn't catch the end of the sale date so I called their 800 number.  After the lady explained everything we would get, plus the 15% off, plus the combinable loyalty match discount... And only a $50 refundable deposit?!  I could not say no. 

It's an interesting study. 

Some cruise lines have a lot of baggage they've accumulated over the years.  They are hesitant to sell off old ships to a start up competitor who then competes with them selling no frills cheap getaways but to keep those old ships requires investing millions to install scrubbers and keep them up to date.  New ships are ordered with little for the older fleet to do except for short or "hometown" getaways.

A newer player without all that old fleet baggage who has a lot of shipping expertise behind them can focus on the lucrative North American market with newer, large and more efficient ships attracting all the new cruisers who have no brand loyalty while also luring in some long time cruisers.  Large ships are more profitable on a per passenger basis.  

They haven't quite cracked the North American nut yet so far remaining a European line that came to the Caribbean to satisfy their European customer base.  Now that is changing and they are building ships for here.  Give them a year or two to adapt the on board culture to suit North America better and they might become quite a formidable competitor for three legacy giants.

I'm tempted to try them just to see how green that grass is, or not.  It's so hard to put trust in internet reviews, sometimes you need to see it for yourself to know if it works for you.

This is an interesting thread. I am an RC fan for many reasons...and I have to say that being a D+ CA member it would be very difficult to push me off that mantle (so to speak). Price is part of a total experience that culminates with an emotional response resulting in...buying. Free Internet...means nothing if it barely works (not to mention when there was no such thing). A bunch of free drinks...get them already. 

When I get home after my cruise...which website am I shopping on? That's the result.

Let's hear the total value MSC (or insert your other choice) review.

5 hours ago, twangster said:

I'm tempted to try them just to see how green that grass is, or not.  It's so hard to put trust in internet reviews, sometimes you need to see it for yourself to know if it works for you.

All I can say regarding the internet reviews is that I see the same themes over and over again, across the entire lineup of ships. I agree that often the 'net is just a sounding board for those who are perpetually pissed off, but this is one case where I feel like if it sounds like a duck, walks like a duck, and looks like a duck, it's most likely a duck. I really want to be proved wrong, because they're so cost competitive and the ships look gorgeous, but I'm dubious about their chances. There are plenty of folks here with sailings on various MSC ships lined up for the coming year, and I'm going to be looking for those liveblogs or after-sailing reports with bated breath.

The Divina was our little taste(so to speak) last January. My problem, as well as others, is trying to compare apples to apples.

With the D+ perks, you have to figure out a way to put a value on that. If not for those perks, we would do a lot more with MSC. While not a direct comparison, we are trying the Seaside in a Yacht Club cabin in a couple weeks. To be honest, the Black Card(status match)for us was not anything to brag about. No comparison to D+(RCI), but a few nice offerings here and there. At the moment we are still making future bookings with RCI.

3 hours ago, L454S said:

The Divina was our little taste(so to speak) last January. My problem, as well as others, is trying to compare apples to apples.

With the D+ perks, you have to figure out a way to put a value on that. If not for those perks, we would do a lot more with MSC. While not a direct comparison, we are trying the Seaside in a Yacht Club cabin in a couple weeks. To be honest, the Black Card(status match)for us was not anything to brag about. No comparison to D+(RCI), but a few nice offerings here and there. At the moment we are still making future bookings with RCI.

The status match is free although a moot point when booked in YC.  Was the "5%" discount offered as a benefit implemented in reality?  Or one of those examples where normal discounts are better like with NextCruise these days.  I'm also interested in entertainment and on board experience.  Please let me know the outcome of your YC experience. 

I'm not suggesting giving up on RCI rather having another line to experience from time to time.  Competition is a good thing and will hopefully keep RCI from adding more and more price increases here and there.

They did give us the 5% discount, it is legit. However, everybody from almost the lowest level and up get the 5% discount. So, while worth something, not exclusive to black card holders. From what I have read, they at one time gave 20% to black card members.

17 hours ago, twangster said:

Uh oh...that is great news for all of us who are curious as you provide such wonderful feeback.  Bad news for those trying to save some money cause well, your track record speaks for itself.  Jokes aside, I agree that sometimes you have to just find out and make your own opinions.  Hubby just said last night that we should not cancel our july reservation unless super horrible reviews come out on the YC.  

13 hours ago, Gears said:

This is an interesting thread. I am an RC fan for many reasons...and I have to say that being a D+ CA member it would be very difficult to push me off that mantle (so to speak).

I feel the same. Come July, I will be looking for that overall, "Did I get my money's worth here" feeling.  I know that every time I sail Disney, I don't feel like I got good value.  Nothing to complain about really.  Still a great cruise and great service, just not good value.

12 hours ago, JLMoran said:

the ships look gorgeous, but I'm dubious about their chances. There are plenty of folks here with sailings on various MSC ships lined up for the coming year, and I'm going to be looking for those liveblogs or after-sailing reports with bated breath.

The Seaside is beautiful!  Many on other board have been commenting that they spent all there money on making it beautiful and there's nothing but that. ?

Are we allowed to live blog our other non RC/celebrity sailings here (for research purposes ?)??  If so, then @twangster, book a cruise before April! lol

4 hours ago, L454S said:

This is an interesting point.  I have read (can't remember where) that among all cruise lines, RC has the best value loyalty program out there.

And on another board, someone made an interesting comment (just sharing, don't shoot the messenger), that the problem with a lot of bad reviews is that people "pay Walmart prices expecting a Bloomingdale's cruise".  Which brings me back to @Gears thinking that is it overall good value?

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Competition is a good thing and will hopefully keep RCI from adding more and more price increases here and there.

Amen to that.  Cause I do love RC.

And yes, this is turning out to be a very interesting thread.  Happy New year everyone!

18 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Are we allowed to live blog our other non RC/celebrity sailings here (for research purposes ?)??  If so, then @twangster, book a cruise before April! lol

Perish the though!  Out of respect I'd likely approach Billy's website to see if he wanted the content.  cruisehabit.com 

YC is hard to get in the spring so I'm waiting for you this time. :10_wink: