Earliest disembarkation time - oasis of the seas

cruisinstyle

Alright team, another travel question from the newbie:

Arriving back from my cruise on oasis to port canaveral, ship says it makes port at 0600, what time would we be able to get off the ship?

the cheapest flight for us, by far, would have us leaving mco at 0945, is there anyway that we could make that flight? Or is it cutting it too close? What’s the rule of thumb for this? 

Cheers 

We did self carry express walk off from Oasis at 6:45am. We were in a car just shortly after 7am. That still makes 9:45am departure from MCO very tight and probably not wise. Security at that airport is always packed as well.  The general rule of thumb is no flights before noon but depending on the distance from pier to airport you can sometimes make an earlier flight with self departure.  From MCO though I would personally not attempt anything before noon. It took us 45min to get through security there a few weeks ago. In September when we were there (for Disney world) it took us about 30min to get through security.

39 minutes ago, cruisinstyle said:

So is noon pretty hard cut then? Or is 11 a bit more doable? 

Do the calculation :

leave the ship around 7 am (maybe early but lets say there was delays) 

Custom - 15 minutes.

Load you car and start driven - 5 minutes.

Driving time to the airport 45 Minutes.

Gas station (for rental car) 5 M

Car drop and get to the check in - 15 m

Drop suitcase if needed in the counters - 15 m 

Security 30 - 40 m (maybe less)

Last call for boarding - 20 - 25 m 

So the best case with allot of luck -  around 09:45 , but you are not letting yourself any contingency (for example if the ship is not cleared as fast as usual) .

11 might be doable  but best from 12 PM 

27 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Do the calculation :

leave the ship around 7 am (maybe early but lets say there was delays) 

Custom - 15 minutes.

Load you car and start driven - 5 minutes.

Driving time to the airport 45 Minutes.

Gas station (for rental car) 5 M

Car drop and get to the check in - 15 m

Drop suitcase if needed in the counters - 15 m 

Security 30 - 40 m (maybe less)

Last call for boarding - 20 - 25 m 

So the best case with allot of luck -  around 09:45 , but you are not letting yourself any contingency (for example if the ship is not cleared as fast as usual) .

11 might be doable  but best from 12 PM 

Yes. Completely agree with @Traveler above. That is pretty much the breakdown I do in my own head. And to add to that, always expect the unexpected. A few weeks ago on our way back from port canaveral there was an accident so the 45min ride back to MCO turned more into an hour plus ride. Nothing prior to noon is safest.

Also, if there is dense fog (happens a lot in florida) I've seen the ship have to sit outside the port until it clears enough to navigate. But biggest worry would be the traffic on 528 and 417.  One bad accident and you will miss the flight.  If you do make it early, buy a lottery ticket.  Before your luck runs out..:10_wink:

My general rule of thumb is nothing before noon. In addition, with the enhanced security checks and the Disney crowds, you could be in for long waits at the airport. The only way this might work is if you pay to have your bags checked on the ship, but your flight is too early to be eligible. The only time I took an early flight was when the ship sucked overnight before disembarkation so I knew we could leave early. 

7 minutes ago, DocLC said:

My general rule of thumb is nothing before noon. In addition, with the enhanced security checks and the Disney crowds, you could be in for long waits at the airport. The only way this might work is if you pay to have your bags checked on the ship, but your flight is too early to be eligible. The only time I took an early flight was when the ship sucked overnight before disembarkation so I knew we could leave early. 

That's exactly what happened to us in September and December at MCO.  And both times we had our bags checked on the ship so we did not even have to stop to check bags.  The main customs/security area was nuts.  The line was not even moving for a good 30 minutes.  It was held at a standstill for heightened security measures.  Then by the time it finally moved, each lane was a good 30-40 people deep.  Huge backup right there.  We've taken an 11ish flight out of FLL before but never at MCO.  Too risky.