Hire car post cruise.

josiejojo

There is a bus that runs from Miami and FLL to Orlando, but to be honest it is probably cheaper and more convenient to rent a car one-way.  We did this last year for a Miami-based cruise and it was much cheaper ($100 + tax = $140) than the cost of the bus.

Sorry; I thought you were referring to a car service.

Given the proximity of the airport, that would probably be your best bet in terms of options. You'll need to price drop off locations. Sometimes airports are cheaper than in town. It also depends on if you need/want the car while in Orlando.

I'm guessing the OP is from the UK.  I noticed they use the word hire where we use as rent. 

We've done this in the past working both ways, Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale and back.  There are several rental car agencies located at FLL a quick ride from the port.  Some of them, Alamo and National that I know of, have a free shuttle service to and from the port to the rental car center at FLL.  Otherwise the cab ride is around $12 if I recall correctly.

If Disney is your destination and you will not need a car there, look at one of the companies with a location in or near Disney where you can drop the car.  Alamo/National has multiple locations on Disney propertiy and Avis and Hertz have locations at the hotels near Downtwon Disney. If you are going airport to airport rent a car from an agancy located on the grounds of MCO just for convenience sake.  The nice thing about both airports is most rental car companies have locations in the parking garages at the airport so returning is easy as you drop the car and then just walk into the terminal.

Avis also has a location near the port that offers shuttle service to/from the port. It's location code is QF1 ("Port Everglades Shuttle for Cruise Ships").

I've used Avis a lot for one-way rentals in the Florida area, mostly between Fort Lauderdale and Miami or between a downtown location and the airport. I'll probably use them again in 2016 to get from Port of Miami to the Port Canaveral area.

I'll disagree with not needing a car at Disney. We've travelled to WDW 4 times over the holidays using Disney transportation all but the last time. Having our own car was much more convenient than relying on Disney transportation especially if going to the parks around opening or closing and/or park hopping. Plus, Disney doesn't charge for parking for resort guests.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, we are really looking forward to it. I feel like we might be a little rushed but we just want to see everything.....oh and I forgot to mention 2 days also in San Fran lol

Sounds fantastic! We did 5 weeks when we went to USA. People thought we were nuts going that long but I think if your going to travel that far make it worthwhile. Makes me laugh when people complain about flights that are 4 or 5 hours long though!

Make sure you tell us all about it when you get back! Throw Washington in there and thats what I plan to do but we'll have to go back to Disney World again!